Honda Grom banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just incase anyone in the area is interested, we have a new kart track in the Houston area that is bike friendly. If you have any questions please let me know, I'm not the one that is doing all the leg work to put them together just trying to spread the word!

Minibike Takeover Trackday @ Speedsportz Jun 25th

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure what happen to the rest of my post..

The votes are in and June 25th will be our first hosted, catered, and organized trackday at Speedsportz, Houston's newest kart/mini track in New Caney!

Houston?s Only Outdoor High-Speed Karting Destination
$75 when you register/sign in at the front desk gets you an all day pass to ride the big .8 mile GP track from open to close!
Yes, you read that right, there will be catering. I've contacted an old friend whom I deployed to Iraq with and now has his own food truck and he says he'll be happy to come by to keep our bellies full! The entry fee does not cover the food, so you'll be buying just like you'd normally buy a meal from a street truck. The menu will include burgers, hot dogs, and if he arrives early enough, breakfast burritos.
https://www.facebook.com/sarges.burgers.319
For any who are unfamiliar, Alan from Spoeedsportz will allow lightweight and motards to come out but they will not ride at the same time as minis. The track will be considered open which means we'll allow everyone to enter and exit as they wish, until bigger bikes show up, which at that point we'll move to timed sessions. The whole day will be flexible, but the sessions will be divided as such whenever the day dictates.
Minibikes:
0cc to 155cc 4T & 0cc to 85cc 2T
motard and GP chassis
Motards and Lightweights:
160cc+ 4T & 90cc+ 2T
motard chasssis (Yes, this means you can bring your KTM Duke 690 but don't expect to stretch your legs.)
GP chassis will have a set limit at 390cc. Even bikes this large we'd still like to keep away from because this track is SHORT and TIGHT. GP chassis bikes typically do not have the wheelbase or turning radius to handle kart tracks without the rider becoming a tripod. Do you remember GSS? Well it's shorter and tighter than that.
Riders MUST sign in at the front desk before entering the track, and check in again with me or a track supervisor to go over flags and track courtesy like passing and entering/exiting the track. ALL RIDERS ARE REQUIRED to have full body and skin protection. 1 or 2 piece leather or textile street or track suits with approved helmets, gloves, and boots will only be allowed on the track. MX armor and jerseys will not suffice and neither will gardening gloves or hiking/combat boots.
Spectators are free and I'd like to get a few volunteers to be available
throughout the day to sit infield and help with flagging whenever necessary. Spectators will be allowed to take pictures in the infield but as the track gets busier, we will restrict track entry to volunteers and personnel only.
Although this track day is not being hosted by any riding school like CMRA members are used to, we will still adhere to CMRA and TMGP guidelines for track safety. TMGP is modelled after CMRA with a little more lenience towards minibikes. (no bar guards are required and neither are rain lights). I basically want to say, all bikes are good to ride but don't bring your leaky, smokey project you've been working on in the back shed and want to test out. BAR GUARDS, CATCH CANS AND SAFETY WIRE ARE ENCOURAGED BUT NOT REQUIRED AT THIS TIME. Stay tuned to this thread for further developments.
For this event, and most future events WE WILL BE USING THE NORTH ENTRANCE OF THE FACITILITY. Yes, that means for now, we will be in a gravel parking lot but there is a perfectly fine paddock right next top the lot and pit in/out where you can stage your equipment. The gravel lot will be ours for the day so feel free to set up your astro turf, shade canopies, or even bring your air conditioned trailer (just leave room for everyone else and be ready to share the wealth! DO NOT PARK OR SET UP IN THE SOUTH LOT. This day will be a normally operating business day for the rental kart business and those customers will need to park and move about at will. Again, our area is the north lot for the day. Leave the southern rental lot alone. You can only enter the north lot from HWY 242 on the north side of the complex. If you accidentally use the 59 feeder road, continue up Speed Street and turn left onto 242 to find the north gate.
I will be holding a few contests to stir up some spirit throughout the day and rewards will be handed out as well. Stay tuned!
I believe that covers most of the preliminary info. I'll post more details as we work out the contests, food, and anything else that comes up. Feel free to post your questions here!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts