Honda Grom banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm not sure if they're even available for the US market but has anyone tried the Rosso Scooter SC? It's supposedly the same carbon black based compound as a supercorsa.

View attachment 90575
I’ve never tried any of the Pirelli tires. They sure look good. They are pretty expensive, if I remember correctly. In fact, I’ve never owned any Pirelli tires on any vehicle. I know my father has had some on his various German cars over the years.

I’m such a creature of habit. I really should try different products more frequently. I get locked into something that I like and don’t try newer stuff that comes along. Eventually I’ll try something new, end up loving it, then wonder why I didn’t switch sooner…lol. That doesn’t always happen, but it does sometimes. I think you get older and have seen so much hype come along that when you find something that works pretty good, you stick with it.

With electronics I’ve grown very tired of always chasing the latest, greatest stuff. It outdates so fast. I’ve actually tried to reduce the amount of electronics I own, substantially. I’m tired of sending thousands of dollars worth of electronics to the landfill every year that no longer work or are no long compatible with anything and nobody wants them.

Over the last 20 years or so, I would exclusively run Continental tires on my bicycles. The last couple of sets of Continental X-King tubeless tires I had were complete garbage. They were like Swiss cheese. I’ve never seen a set of tires so porous. Sealant leaked through the side walls like a screen door. Continental lost all of my business. Continental would lie about the width of a tire to make their tires seem lighter. They would label a tire as a 2.2 inch, but it would really only measure 2 inches. That way when they would give the weight of a 2.2 inch tire it would seem incredibly light, but in truth, it wasn’t even a 2.2 inch tire.

I now run Maxxis tires and haven’t looked back. They have been fantastic.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
786 Posts
Did you send the Kendas back or are you going to try them? Like I said previously, I think you might like the weight of the Kendas in the 120/70 and 130/70 sizes best.

I wonder if the Pirelli tire will be a little heavy since it is a 62P tire? It’s hard to say, these weights seem to be all over the place.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Did you send the Kendas back or are you going to try them? Like I said previously, I think you might like the weight of the Kendas in the 120/70 and 130/70 sizes best.

I wonder if the Pirelli tire will be a little heavy since it is a 62P tire? It’s hard to say, these weights seem to be all over the place.
Will try the Kenda K-1 as well. Just want them both on hand. Will test both.

Looking for a go to tire that provides both grip and some wear durability. 500 miles on a rear is not going to work. That's all I get on the TT93 Dunlop rear, slightly better on the MC35 mitas medium rear.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Will try the Kenda K-1 as well. Just want them both on hand. Will test both.

Looking for a go to tire that provides both grip and some wear durability. 500 miles on a rear is not going to work.
That sounds like a good plan. It’s fun testing different stuff. That is kind of how I feel about the Kendas. The grip is good and they are cheap. I need to pay more attention to how many miles I’m getting out of them. I like them enough that I bought another set.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I loved the Pirelli's on my Duc.. But they were crazy expensive and the V4 ate them up like crazy. I will say that after putting a few miles on the 100/120 combo I will not be going back to a 120/130 combo.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I loved the Pirelli's on my Duc.. But they were crazy expensive and the V4 ate them up like crazy. I will say that after putting a few miles on the 100/120 combo I will not be going back to a 120/130 combo.
Yes. I prefer the handling on the thinner tires as well.

Wondering if the 130 vs 120 rear will be O.K. with the 100 front and allow me to get more than 2 weeks out of a rear tire.. Testing to find out.

I do about 50 miles of this kind of terrain almost every day. Not the track, but demanding of the tires.

First world problems...

·
Registered
786 Posts
I always enjoy your videos. What a beautiful place to ride. It reminds me of riding the Tail of the Dragon. You can really get lost in the flow of it. No traffic in those vids too!

·
Registered
540 Posts
8 pounds 9 ounces for the Diablo Rosso 130/70

Right between the Kenda and Mitas in terms of weight.

Kenda K-1 120/80 -12 rear :
9lbs 7 ounces (new)

Mitas MC35 medium 120/80-12 rear :
7lbs 10 ounces (worn)

diablo rosso.jpg

·
Registered
786 Posts
The Pirelli is almost 1/2 pound heavier than the Kenda KD1 in the comparable 130/70-12 size. The TT93 is the question mark. I guess we’ll know soon.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The Pirelli is almost 1/2 pound heavier than the Kenda KD1 in the comparable 130/70-12 size. The TT93 is the question mark. I guess we’ll know soon.
Interesting that 130/70 Kenda is lighter than the 120/80 Kenda.

Hope to change the tire today so I will have a weight for you on a worn TT93.

Picked up this tire changer which is so much easier to use than the no-mar BUT is does not work on 12 inch Grom wheels which is a bummer. Makes bigger bike tire changes a snap.

I urged the manufacturer to make a 12 inch wheel retrofit kit. Hope he does.

·
Registered
540 Posts
@DY101 seems to have this changer that works with the grom.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yeah Pard, I also found it interesting that the 130/70 was so much lighter than the 120/80. It would be interesting to email Kenda to ask why that is.

When I saw your tire changing machine, I immediately thought of DYI01’s machine he showed in his build thread. So your machine is similar, but not exactly the same as DYI01’s?

My last set of tires I ended up just paying the Honda dealer to change them. They said they could change them without scratching my wheels up, so it was worth it to me. I didn’t want to use tire irons on them and beat the rims up. I was worth it to me. They gave me a pretty fair deal and did a perfect job.

As often as you change tires, you would go broke paying someone else to change them. It makes sense for you to have your own machine.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Dunlop TT93 120/80 rear (worn) weight:
8lbs. 8 ounces

The fastest wearing tire I ever ran. 500 miles to the wear bars.

Interesting the same weight as a new Pirelli diablo rosso 130/70

Summary:

REAR

Kenda K-1 120/80 -12 rear :
9lbs 7 ounces (new)

Diablo Rosso 130/70 -12 Rear:
8 Lbs. 9 ounces (new)

Dunlop TT93 120/80-12 Rear (worn) weight:
8lbs 8 ounces

Mitas MC35 medium 120/80-12 rear
7lbs 10 ounces (worn)

FRONT

Kenda K-1 100/90 -12 front :
7 lbs 9 ounces (new)

Power Pure 120/70-12 front:
6 lbs 11 ounces (almost new)

Mitas MC35 soft 100/90-12 front :
6 lbs 7 ounces (worn)

IMG_3858.jpg Dunlop tt93 .jpg

·
Registered
786 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for posting the TT93’s weight. So for a modded 125cc like mine, the 120/70-12 and 130/70-12 Kenda KD1s are a pretty good choice when it comes to getting the tires moving. The Michelin Power Pures are lighter, but probably have less grip.

·
Registered
540 Posts
60 mile hard riding on the Diablo Rosso tires today. Good surface, hot temps. 22 cold 25 hot on the tire.

This is a cruising tire. Excellent shape and feel to the tire, not performance oriented grip. This tire should last a long time but I was sliding around on it.

Kenda K-1 up next.

I guess the tradeoff is simple. Want grip, pay for short tire life.

The only tires that I had slide on me like this at this point in the test have been power pures and the diablo rosso. The surface of both those tires feel similar and slick compared to the Mitas and Dunlop.

·
Registered
2022 Grom
47 Posts
I don't ride in the rain, which tires do I want for grippy street performance? I feel like the OEMs might be a bit slippery?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't ride in the rain, which tires do I want for grippy street performance? I feel like the OEMs might be a bit slippery?
You came to the right thread!

Read the whole thing.

My personal favorites and that of many others is the Mitas MC35s

Crazy expensive at the moment:

This is cheaper but not as sticky:

Better pricing here:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Let’s see what Pard thinks of the Kenda KD1 tires. I wonder if they are anywhere near being in the same league as the Mitas and Dunlop regarding grip. I’ve made it clear that I am happy with them, but Pard has experience with so many other tires to compare them against. He also has track experience, so I suspect he knows how to push them to their limits. This a great thread.

Pard, you are on your way to having a PHD in Grom tires…lol.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts