Honda Grom banner

Top speed

360K views 713 replies 213 participants last post by  MintGromney 
#1 · (Edited)
What is your top speed in mph? Please post whether you have a msx or Grom. Any mods done and miles you have on it.

#3 ·
I've never played around much with cars or bikes, so I have extremely limited knowledge as to how swapping out the rear fender for a tidytail and changing the exhaust will affect performance. How much difference are they likely to make speed wise? Also, any chance one of the motorcycle mags decides to review three or four exhausts to give us an estimate of performance increases? Or will we have to wait for guys with dynos to try theirs and post the results?

#5 ·
Mine has zero miles on it and is completely stock. Pretty sure it will hit 60 mph or so while in the back of the delivery truck. Previous top speed was about 14 knotts while on the boat from Thailand.:D

Sent from my DROIDX using HondaGrom.net mobile app

#7 ·
I had one called Dashboard that worked pretty well. It was free and had a bunch of stuff that you could select from top speed, ave speed, current speed, direction, GPS coordinates, altitude I think. Bunch of stuff.

Reactions: MSX125
#16 ·
I was gonna use my Gecko GPS to get a top speed reading once I have my Grom (maybe Wednesday?) but really, I don't have any roads around here where I could safely do 60 mph let alone legally. Good chance I will never know what the top speed on my Grom is being surrounded by 45 mph speed limits. Also, most of the roads around here are not flat.

#28 ·
Can anyone with more experience than I have estimate speed increase and extra hp generated by losing the stock fender and adding a Tyga slip on? Trying to decide if it's worth the $300 or so. Not trying to make it a race bike, but would like to nudge the top speed up over 65 for safety sake.

#36 ·
I got my Grom today and there was no wobble, although I do feel a vibration that appears to be coming from the front end at 30+ MPH. Haven't thought to check it slower. Nothing that phases my confidence in the bike, so I don't really worry about it. I have noticed that in 4th gear I am only able to rev to 7,000 RPM. In other gears I can rev much higher. I have a feeling that there is some kind of break in mode on the ECU that is causing this. At this time I think it is ok for AJ to suspend the Honda witch hunt.

#33 ·
i never heard that a smaller tires will cause wobble.. i have seen and rode Composimo's grom and never experienced any wobble.. my ruck never had any wobble on 10" tires.. i have seen rucks going 60+ on 10" tires no wobble.. more then likely something isnt balanced.. you could always put in some dyna beads and see what happens..

#38 ·
if have not felt any wobble whatsoever... that speed was next to the feeder of a freeway. i,m pretty it was flat.

tomorrow going to work. i will go down a small hill, but if i have time i will go past my exit at work because there is a much bigger hill to try to achieve top speed.

#41 · (Edited)
The gear ratio of 3rd gear is 23/20 and the gear ratio of 4th is 24/26 which is under 1, so torque is less than speed. You just have to make sure you have the bike up to speed on the flat in 3rd...say 50 mph before shifting to 4th to get more speed. Otherwise, the drag overcomes the torque of the close 4th gear. You will need to climb hills in 3rd or even 2nd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.