Honda Grom banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
For what it’s worth. Top speeds are all over the place on here. I’m 200lbs my mods are Chimera intake, Takegawa cam, full Two Brothers exhaust, PCV with WB2 and 14T front sprocket. I can hold 50mph at 7000 rpms and on flat ground 55/57 at 8500rpms. Unless your putting a BBK on your bike with some other serious mods you are not going to “Easily” get 65mph cruising.

Reactions: Paultergeist

·
Registered
20 Posts
Theoretically you'll gain top speed by going to a 16t front sprocket. Problem is these motors in stock form don't have the power to pull that gearing to redline. They can't really even to pull it to redline in stock form on a flat. I have hit 68mph coming off a downhill to flat on my stock 2018. My 14t front sprocket will still do the same top speed but will do it without the downhill and is significantly more responsive. I just got a hindle, dinger intake, and aracer ecu so we'll see what happens with those once the tune its all lined out.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Well.....it doesn't help me....sadly.......

M in SC,
You have always seemed to me like a knowledgeable guy with considerable experience and insight. Not trying to offend, nor do I wish to dissuade you from sharing your opinions. I am just trying make the argument that it seems like top-speed results on these bikes have been pretty inconsistent. Some finding a peak speed around 55 MPH......others hitting as much as 70. This is frustrating for those of us who tried to make their bikes go faster without much success.

As a contrasting data-point, consider Brock Davidson's "Stock-to-Brock" YouTube videos. He speed runs a stock Grom, briefly hitting 58 MPH (faster than mine)....he THEN mods the air-box, adds an exhaust, adds a Power Commander fuel controller, does a dyno-tuning session, and THEN hits a top speed of 64 MPH for about half-a-second of flicker on the speedo.......62 MPH was more of a sustained top speed......and Brock is a professional motorcycle tuner.

I cannot help but feel that there is sometimes a mythology of performance expectations which so easily gets propagated in these forums. I can only share my own observations.

hes also a lot bigger than some guys. wind resistance to frontal area is a concern on this bike. we're talking about a 4-6 mph difference, and yes, some people will see less some more. but if you dig around in the early posts way back, this is what was generally reported. 58-64. ive been at this building tuning thing for over 25 years, so i have my methods as well. i did my 'speed runs' on a stock bike to check my baseline out of personal curiosity. i saw 64 a few times but 62 ish was sustainable on flat ground, for me, at 200 lbs., dead stock, verified with a gps. it lines up with what others were reporting at the time. also keep in mind, this was on a nice, dry day at around 70 F. this also makes a difference

·
Administrator
942 Posts
Opus,

No secrets here!

I was worried of the cancer thing too, being I am getting ready to knock on 60's door next year. Turns out it was a Hydrocele.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hydrocele/symptoms-causes/syc-20363969

Thought I was going to have to borrow the neighbors Barbie wheel borrow to haul them around in. HaHa!

Rough after surgery. Will take 6 months to get back to "tea bagging" LOL
@WV - I think I found a pre-op photo of you :laughing6:

Attachments

Reactions: m in sc and WV_Grom

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
@WV - I think I found a pre-op photo of you :laughing6:

Now that is entertainment!!

My apologies to the OP for the thread derailment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
205lb rider stock gears,chimera intake, zoom loop exhaust, Tb camshaft, hit 72 all day limter kicks in on my way to work all the time, it’s wot for me it ain’t riding unless your in the red. Twist the grip and go fast.

·
Registered
25 Posts
200lbs rider and I take my grom up to 8250 RPM all of the time, though I try to change gear before going deeper into the redline. I have ridden it like that since I picked it up new. I was originally getting around 100 MPG and up to 68 mph on the Odo, but now I'm getting (perhaps with the help of the clutch cover and breaking in) up to 70 mph and 140 MPG. Stock gearing, but an X-ring chain. I'm still waiting on my carbon wheels to arrive to see if there is any meaningful difference, though it will probably all be in acceleration, and after that, I suppose the next step will be a full set of ceramic bearings. I had thought about higher gearing now that I will have more acceleration so I can give some of it up for more speed or cruising at lower revs, but I love my traffic light grand prix way too much to risk losing!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
200lbs rider and I take my grom up to 8250 RPM all of the time, though I try to change gear before going deeper into the redline. I have ridden it like that since I picked it up new. I was originally getting around 100 MPG and up to 68 mph on the Odo, but now I'm getting (perhaps with the help of the clutch cover and breaking in) up to 70 mph and 140 MPG. Stock gearing, but an X-ring chain. I'm still waiting on my carbon wheels to arrive to see if there is any meaningful difference, though it will probably all be in acceleration, and after that, I suppose the next step will be a full set of ceramic bearings. I had thought about higher gearing now that I will have more acceleration so I can give some of it up for more speed or cruising at lower revs, but I love my traffic light grand prix way too much to risk losing!

mine tops out around 60 right now on the the hwy, tested it a few times this weekend, i have about 160 miles on it now, i did my first fill up in her at 110 miles and she took about .9 gallons of the 1.5 she is supposed to take she is doing good on her gas sucking lol but hell i dont think there really is any way to call the MPG you get out of these things bad lol

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Everyone talking about 65mph+ on these bikes and all I want is an easily maintained 55mph and to get there quickly. At 6'3 and 220lbs I know I'm wishful thinking as I'm the equivalent of a giant sail on this thing. I seem to be in the 50 to 52 range while treating my throttle like an on off switch (all or nothing).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Everyone talking about 65mph+ on these bikes and all I want is an easily maintained 55mph and to get there quickly. At 6'3 and 220lbs I know I'm wishful thinking as I'm the equivalent of a giant sail on this thing. I seem to be in the 50 to 52 range while treating my throttle like an on off switch (all or nothing).
I’m running a Kitaco 164 BBK stock head and cam with chimera intake, full exhaust, PCV with WB2 and 14 tooth front sprocket. I can cruise at 55 all day at 7700-8000rpms. I’m 6’1” and 215 lbs geared up. I’m very well pleased with the acceleration and mid range power. If I was running a big valve head or had the Takegawa cam back in it I would expect cruising speeds of 60mph. As it is with the OEM head and cam the bike falls flat on its face at 8500 rpms. I don’t know how these guys are getting 60-65 mph cruise. My bike tops out at 58 on the flat. Either they are full of crap or they weigh 150lbs or less. YMMV

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I’m running a Kitaco 164 BBK stock head and cam with chimera intake, full exhaust, PCV with WB2 and 14 tooth front sprocket. I can cruise at 55 all day at 7700-8000rpms. I’m 6’1” and 215 lbs geared up. I’m very well pleased with the acceleration and mid range power. If I was running a big valve head or had the Takegawa cam back in it I would expect cruising speeds of 60mph. As it is with the OEM head and cam the bike falls flat on its face at 8500 rpms. I don’t know how these guys are getting 60-65 mph cruise. My bike tops out at 58 on the flat. Either they are full of crap or they weigh 150lbs or less. YMMV
Glad I'm not alone in my results. I'm not really interested in going BBK so I'll have to settle for a 50mph cruiser. Not the end of the world by any means as my girlfriend is very green to riding and I really only bought the grom to ride around with her. When I'm not riding with her I'm on my Africa Twin. I bought a 14T sprocket that I haven't installed yet. Having both bikes is nice so I can see if the changes I make are noticeable between the two since hers will remain stock for a good while.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Glad I'm not alone in my results. I'm not really interested in going BBK so I'll have to settle for a 50mph cruiser. Not the end of the world by any means as my girlfriend is very green to riding and I really only bought the grom to ride around with her. When I'm not riding with her I'm on my Africa Twin. I bought a 14T sprocket that I haven't installed yet. Having both bikes is nice so I can see if the changes I make are noticeable between the two since hers will remain stock for a good while.
Awwwww c'mon, we all know your GF's machine is going to get your hand-me-downs!

:big smile:

·
Banned
714 Posts
i'm absolutely certain that 90% of people who are making these claims are not correcting their speedometer.

this is why top speed threads are such a waste of time. changing your sprockets is unlikely to make much difference unless your top gear is so tall the bike can't get into the power band. gearing taller is unlikely to help unless you have an excess of horsepower and run up to redline way too quickly in top gear.

sprockets don't add horsepower. if your bike has 9 horsepower, all the sprockets in the world aren't going to make it act like it has 15.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have a 14t front and just an exhaust my max speed at red line is 68 mph. On just flat and good weather I hit around 62 sitting up, I can obtain 65 tucked. 6'1" 160lbs.
Leaving issues of speedometer correction aside for just a moment, your statement above leaves me scratching my head:

If you are claiming 62 MPH sitting up, and 65 tucked (I am skeptical of these speeds, but regardless), under what set of circumstances are you THEN claiming a “max speed of 68.” Downhill and with a strong tail-wind?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
you can get a higher actual top speed on a dead stock bike in 4th if you cant rev it to redline with stock gearing. a lot of people hit the 8k wall. its not a huge difference but it can happen. stock, on mine, was 62 actual, 64 indicated. but you are right, a speedo corrector or decent gps is the only way to tell. just .02

·
Registered
29 Posts
My grom with a PCV, comp werks exhaust, chimera,and oil spinner removed would hit 73 on the stock gears on flat ground. I ended up switching to av14t front and would max out at 69 but get there easier before I went to the BBK.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hit 70mph on my grom when it was stock and only change I made was go down one teeth in the front from 15-34 to 14-34. This was back in 2014-15 time frame and the minor changes was DIY the airbox and change the tires to Michelins 120/70 front and 140/70 rear and I weight 220-225 lbs back then. I think I also changed the F/I to a PC-150 and played around with the various heat range of the spare plug.

My first grom Jan 2014 I rode that thing like I stole it and it was fast for a stock grom. My second grom June 2014 I babied it and broke it in according to the Honda manual and that grom took forever to break the 60-65mph barrier even after a 1000 miles on the ODM.

I believe ride it like you stole it is a better way to break in the piston and seal the rings properly.

Dodge Rider says it best
How much speed did you loose by going down one on front? Can you feel the difference in acceleration?

·
Registered
81 Posts
:cool: I got mine for all the roads around me are 35-45 mph, I just plan different route to get to places I get to on my 690 Duke, Exploring I call it, love it, I have a 2020 blue Grom and all stock except 4 1/2" holes in the edges of the ft air box cover, 1000 miles on and can get to 58-60 on flat ground, tires at 32psi, I'm about 210lbs with gear on, I removed rear pegs and hardware, Have a full exhaust with baffel in, lightened the rear area where the plate mts,got rid of all extra brackets, also have plastic hand guards for wind only and ft fender mudflap, average 110 mpg,cost more to have a ice cream sandwich than to top off the tank, I live in Mattydale and ride to Truxton for a ice cream, go through Morgan hill on Bailly rd, Need more riders ,(y):cool:

21 - 40 of 41 Posts