Honda Grom banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do any of the groms get oil to the cam lobes or rocker arms
Or get any kind of oil supply up the head.
I've checked a lot of pic's and diagrams and I just don't see it ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You.
Chasing down a issue the grom and z125 share on oil starvation during wheelies
Always see posted the grom doesn't have a line to the head like the z125 does
But thinking it has to be getting oil somehow.
Looks like oil feeds to cylinder internally but don't see how it gets from cylinder to head unless its going up through one on the head stud holes ?

But all I'm really looking to verify if all the models' do supply oil to the head.

Font Wood Circle Machine Measuring instrument
Font Auto part Parallel Automotive lighting Drawing
Motor vehicle Mode of transport Font Auto part Engineering

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thank You.
Looks like oil feeds to cylinder internally but don't see how it gets from cylinder to head unless its going up through one on the head stud holes ?

But all I'm really looking to verify if all the models' do supply oil to the head.

View attachment 93323 View attachment 93324 View attachment 93325
The stud with the copper washer is the oil passage ;-)

Side note, for LONG wheelies, stunters usually install a pump with an extra pickup tube that gets oil from the back of the motor where it all goes when standing up. Like this: Straight Up Pumps Honda Grom MSX125 Oil Pump 2013-2020

Or these from the grombeardo:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks again. Oil pump mod is why all the questions
Seeing you know what's up I'm looking into the z125 myth that the z125 does not need the oil pump mod because we have a external oil line going to the head. But I see Zero difference in the two oil flows besides a different overall basic engine design. we both have the same issue with the oil pump inlet being out of the oil bath level during wheelies. We both starve the head and crankshaft of oil during wheelies. Or the differences in oil filters don't come into play either because there both not in play.

Currently looking into a mod for the z125 but is it even really necessary like it is for the grom. Or is it possible the grom doesn't really need one and only a myth like the z125 myth and there's a different issue at play like just a different engine design for whatever reason.

Z125 stunters seem to go 10,000mi mostly stunting with no issues and the Myth' is the grom can not for reasons of .... ?

Font Rectangle Number
White Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Black
Engineering Font Auto part Machine Automotive super charger part

·
Registered
383 Posts
The Grom is getting oil feed for the pump through the case where the screen is below the pump from the looks of it. Once its in the air, that cavity will not have enough oil to allow the pump to pick up. Just an educated guess, since I do not ride wheelies for very long & still have a stock pump :cool: .

I cannot comment on the Z, since I have never touched one myself, maybe someone else will chime in with Z experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank You.
Looks like oil feeds to cylinder internally but don't see how it gets from cylinder to head unless its going up through one on the head stud holes ? Omegla tv

View attachment 93323 View attachment 93324 View attachment 93325
Thanks a lot for the information.
My issue has been solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts