Honda Grom banner

221 - 240 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #221 (Edited)
Just ordered this lightweight black aluminum Kepspeed rear swing arm today. :)

kepspeed.jpg

I wanted to get better chain adjusters anyways ($96 including shipping on ebay) so I decided to get a whole swing arm along with new adjusters. ($154 including shipping) I'll weigh both and will log the difference here. I'm looking to get my Grom closer to 200 pounds. Right now it's 216 pounds... 13 pounds lighter than the stock 229 pounds.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Where did you order from?

They were US$118 plus shipping at Motorkit earlier this summer.

Then the price jumped, to $155, but when i checked just now, shipping is included? Looks like $149 shipped to Canada... Time to order mine I think

For me, it's the adjusters as well, but also the needle bearings!

Reactions: ikeus685

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Where did you order from?

They were US$118 plus shipping at Motorkit earlier this summer.

Then the price jumped, to $155, but when i checked just now, shipping is included? Looks like $149 shipped to Canada... Time to order mine I think

For me, it's the adjusters as well, but also the needle bearings!
They're $124 now. Shipping is $30 to California.
I think that's pretty reasonable when chain adjusters are almost $100 all by themselves. I read the ones with the extra supports weigh only 5.5 pounds, so one without the support should be under 5 pounds. So it should drop the weight considerably. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yup, ordered mine last night (silver). Shipped already :cool2:

Reactions: tooter

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is this replacement swing arm you are installing good for off road also or, only for on the pavement. I appreciate the 200 pound goal your shooting for. You have also have me considering going with a longer length exhaust for torque.. What are your thought towards installing longer intakes to also help with low rpm responses.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Is this replacement swing arm you are installing good for off road also or, only for on the pavement. I appreciate the 200 pound goal your shooting for. You have also have me considering going with a longer length exhaust for torque.. What are your thought towards installing longer intakes to also help with low rpm responses.
Kepspeed also makes reinforced rear swing arms.

I don't need the extra strength because I just use my Grom for daily utility transportation..

I run a combination of a really long exhaust and a really long intake for excellent low rpm torque between 3,500 and 6,000 rpms.

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_1017.JPG

My Grom averages 145+ mpg. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thats a common occurance using a manual staple gun as theres not enough ommph to penetrate the plastic. You can try to match up with the original staple holes (gluck) or come back with a small hammer to pound in the rest of the way.. Sure some will be bent not as clean as with pnumatic. So?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Wow! who made that intake? Are you planning to cross any major body of water? : )
It's a DingerBuilt Long Intake that I modified to make it one third longer for more low rpm toeque. I adapted a stainless steel filter guard to fit. It helps the filter to stay clean longer by deflecting dirt from hitting the filter directly. Unmodified, the filter used to be located down low pointing downward toward the road and it picked up lots of grit. Now pointed upwards in the upper part of the cowl works much better. :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Can you tell us how much further back you foot pegs are with the Monkey rearsets? Any up/down adjustments available?
As far as I can tell, the foot position is exactly the same as the stock grom pegs. There are no no adjustments. I like the clean minimalist look and black matches the rest of the bike. They also take off about 2 pounds of dead weight.

IMG_1321.JPG

·
Registered
966 Posts
That's great. :) We can review them. Motokit ships from Belgium so I'll be curious how long it takes. Likely better than from China. (lol)
Congrats Tooter you wont be dissapointed,,, Mine took almost a week to get to Florida, waaay better than coming from China.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Do you have any installation tips?
Pretty straight forward, nothing you cant handle. One thing that was a personal prefrence to me,,, I didnt like the gap between the rim and swingarm before tightening the axel bolt.

It seemed a bit more than stock, so I put a stainless steel washer on the sprocket side to fill some of the gap... Not sure how thick but just enough

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #237 (Edited)
Pretty straight forward, nothing you cant handle. One thing that was a personal prefrence to me,,, I didnt like the gap between the rim and swingarm before tightening the axel bolt.

It seemed a bit more than stock, so I put a stainless steel washer on the sprocket side to fill some of the gap... Not sure how thick but just enough
Thanks! :)
I have some axle washers left over from installing the Monkey rear sets.

IMG_1099.JPG

·
Registered
218 Posts
That's great. :) We can review them. Motokit ships from Belgium so I'll be curious how long it takes. Likely better than from China. (lol)
Mine arrived today, wife was home to accept (I'm still at work). Looks like got hit with +C$30 in duty/tax.

Motorkit has Black Friday promotion so extra 5% off tomorrow for anyone else interested.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Mine arrived today, wife was home to accept (I'm still at work). Looks like got hit with +C$30 in duty/tax.

Motorkit has Black Friday promotion so extra 5% off tomorrow for anyone else interested.
That's the cost of government that gets added onto to everything. We don't have duties here, but we pay for government in other ways.

"The government big enough to give you everything you want
is the government big enough to take everything you have." ;)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #240 (Edited)
I'm still experimenting on quiet inserts for the TOCE exhaust. :)
I combined the first two designs together to make the third version.

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1344.JPG

They fit into the original muffler the same way as the second version.

IMG_1326.JPG

Gonna test them out today. I'll post a sound video later. :)

Attachments

221 - 240 of 263 Posts