Honda Grom banner

201 - 220 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are those the ones the machinist made for you or a TOCE brand variant? They look good.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #202 (Edited)
Are those the ones the machinist made for you or a TOCE brand variant? They look good.
They weren't made for me personally. I'm just a customer. Dave Plummer on Facebook came up with the design. He makes and sells them. I modded them by rounding off the edges for smooth exhaust flow with hand file and emory cloth, and then stainless steel bead blasted them for a nicely uniform finish. I'm actually amazed at how well they work. I keep detailed gas mileage records and have not lost even one mpg with the inserts, even though the exhaust is way quieter. All other bd killers hurt performance... these don't. :)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Put the IXIL exhaust back on just for a change. :)

GOPR0172.jpg

I like the cafe racer seat cowl. It makes the bike look clean and compact.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #204 (Edited)
I'm experimenting with designing these quiet inserts for the TOCE. They're crude prototypes just to test the concept. I haven't ridden it yet so I don't know hoe well they'll work.They'll be run long enough for the ECU to learn and then I'll log some gas mileage results as an empirical indicator of their efficiency.
IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

Because the TOCE muffler section is sized to flow exhaust for an engine almost 5 times larger, installing a silencer doesn't come close to restricting the tiny Grom engine. :)

IMG_1039.JPG

I'll also be using the inserts in conjunction with these.

View attachment 83306

View attachment 83308

View attachment 83304

View attachment 83302

I've always been interested in intake and exhaust flow designs so this experiment is lots of fun. :)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Completed the gas mileage test for running both quiet inserts together...

jIYRUB8.jpg

ZYpCsHR.jpg

148.5 mpg which is within one mpg of running the TOCE with no inserts. There's a fine line between quieting an exhaust and restricting the engine. It took some experimenting but it worked out fine. :)

I'm processing a video of riding with both inserts and will post it soon. The exhaust sounds really mellow. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi tooter, nice thorough thread. I admire your dedication to logging and sharing your life with your GROM.

I'm just wondering why you're giving the MPG so much attention? You noted you enjoy finding ways to be frugal in your everyday life (keeping/using an old fridge etc.), so I understand your interest from the money-saving point of view, but then you're spending money on the GROM like it's going out of fashion!

I'm not flaming by the way, I'm genuinely interested.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I expect he may be like myself... I work hard to save money in places where I can, so that I have money to spend elsewhere.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Hi tooter, nice thorough thread. I admire your dedication to logging and sharing your life with your GROM.

I'm just wondering why you're giving the MPG so much attention? You noted you enjoy finding ways to be frugal in your everyday life (keeping/using an old fridge etc.), so I understand your interest from the money-saving point of view, but then you're spending money on the GROM like it's going out of fashion!

I'm not flaming by the way, I'm genuinely interested.

I've always lived frugally because I never made a lot of money. By being frugal I saved up enough money to build a house with no mortgage. I have no debts. My credit card balance is always zero. And even though today my net worth is seven figures and I can buy whatever I want I still live really cheap. :)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Here's a sound video of the TOCE exhaust with all four quiet inserts installed. Deep and mellow.
:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GRFSyUjxjs

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Do you prefer the Toce exhaust over the IXIL?
I just can't bring myself to get rid of either of them. P9eZv3y.gif

The TOCE performs better than the IXIL, and the IXIL sounds better than the TOCE, so I swap them out depending on my mood.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Tooter,

Thanks for posting the video. I really think you may be on to something: offer after-market exhausts which allow the end-user to tune/adjust the sound to their own liking. I would very much like an after-market exhaust, but I need to keep my bike pretty quiet.

I really like your approach to the Toce; although I confess I don't know that I would be able to fabricate sound-reducing inserts such as you have done. Very cool work.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Tooter,

Thanks for posting the video. I really think you may be on to something: offer after-market exhausts which allow the end-user to tune/adjust the sound to their own liking. I would very much like an after-market exhaust, but I need to keep my bike pretty quiet.

I really like your approach to the Toce; although I confess I don't know that I would be able to fabricate sound-reducing inserts such as you have done. Very cool work.
SuperTrapp has been doing it for decades.

Quality exhausts like Yoshi include decibel reducers or baffles so you have two sound options.

But, as always, these options affect power as well as sound.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #214 (Edited)
SuperTrapp has been doing it for decades.

Quality exhausts like Yoshi include decibel reducers or baffles so you have two sound options.

But, as always, these options affect power as well as sound.
I know. I put Supertrapp tuning disks on my Ruckus and the engine performed great.

IMG_0463.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

I'd love to experiment with them on my Grom except they're so damned expensive now.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Tooter got a Monster Eye. :)

IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

Wired up the blinkers and they work fine, but I still need to figure out how to wire up the LED headlight. The headlight is made for a Jeep Wrangler and the mounting kit is made for an OG Grom so it took some modifying but not anything too serious. Total cost: $175.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #216 (Edited)
I began another experiment. This time it's a Yuminashi 120cc per minute injector. The stock injector flows 90cc per minute so this is a 25% increase in available fuel. The Yuminashi ecu is still learning and I don't have any gas mileage results so I don't yet know how this will work out. Just for the record this is on a stock 125 engine with only intake and exhaust mods. The 140cc experiment yielded 105 mpg with no performance gain. It was just too large for the ECU to compensate by shortening the injector duty cycle. So the 120cc injector will certainly produce mileage somewhere between 105 and 145 mpg... how close to 145 it can get I'll find out soon. :)

I'm also working on another internal baffle design for the Toce and will post pics and sound videos when they're done. The first ones work really good as they quiet the exhaust without compromising the performance one bit.

The monster eye was defective as only 2 out of five low beam LED's would light up.

IMG_1293.JPG

The ebay vendor was really nice about it and has promptly mailed out a replacement.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #217 (Edited)
Finished the Yuminashi 120cc/min. injector experiment. The average mileage for the 120 injector is 123.5 mpg. Normal average with the stock injector is 145+ mpg. So the mileage was reduced by 15%. This is not too bad of a price to pay because eveh though the engine performs the same at wide open throttle, the engine responds a LOT better at lower rpms with FAR less input. Just crack the throttle and it goes!
:)

So if you have a basically stock Grom engine with only intake and exhaust mods, the Yuminashi 120 cc per minute injector is one of the best mods you can do: only $40 shipped

http://www.yuminashi.eu/120cc-b-type-injector-6-holes-f-injector/

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #219 (Edited)
The Monster Eye looks much better on the SF than I thought it would. It is concerning that 3 of the LEDs are already dead though. What brand is the light?
It's an ebay light for a Jeep Wrangler. The LEDs didn't burn out. They never lit up. They sent me a second one with exactly the same defect as the first one. I'm going to see if I can fix them. The kit was for an OG. I modified it to fit my SF. I really like the retro cafe racer look, and one way or another I'll get everything sorted out. :)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #220 (Edited)
I'm still experimenting with inner quiet inserts for the TOCE. :)

This is the latest prototype. It has a funnel shape for smooth exhaust flow to match the smooth funnel shape of the quiet inserts at the other end. My GoPro card took a dump so I just got another one today, and will make a sound video. It's really smooth and mellow. With inserts at both ends of the muffler the packing is now irrelevant. When I took it out, it made no difference.

IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

201 - 220 of 259 Posts