Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Only had my bike for one day and I was already ordering parts to mod it! (lol)

Br3TjUP.jpg

The TOCE exhaust is awesome! Nothing else sounds like it. I chose it because it's longer than any other exhaust, even the folded ones. Short exhausts are great for high rpm horsepower, while long exhausts produce more low rpm torque. I'm looking for more low rpm torque as I ride for transportation rather than for performance.

oW3F3io.jpg

I ordered a HyperPack from TST

It contains:

LED front signals and wiring converters
LED rear tail light with integral LED signals
LED license plate light
LED blinker module
Rear fender eliminator
Black TOCE exhaust

It took a little over 4 hours to put everything together because I took it slow and careful and referred to the TST installation videos constantly so I could do everything right the first time and not have to go back to redo things. Everything installed just fine without any problems as their parts are of high quality and excellent design.

10xN6y1.jpg

I weighed everything I took off and everything I put back and the TST parts knocked 11 pounds off the weight of the Grom! Stock it weighs 234 pounds, so now it's 223. This is about a 5% reduction which is a considerable advantage for a small underpowered bike.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Very nice.

Now that I look back and have done my mods, I wish I would've started with replacing the seat first (it was one of the last mods as of now). Do yourself a favor don't push that off, a new seat on the grom really is a must and a game changer. You can thank me later :encouragement:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya, man.
I HATE the stepped seat. It's always shoving my balls into the tank. What seat are you using?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I settled on the Seat Concepts kit. I went back and forth from SC and Corbin for over a month everyday and finally ordered the SC kit. It was super easy to change the foam out and put back together. I also went with the carbon sides and the gripper top material. I wear jeans everyday, and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you mean this one fella??

https://seatconcepts.com/products/honda-2017-18-msx125-grom-gen-2-tall

I'm also currently looking into how to make this seat more comfy... the bottom of my spine is absolutely killing me lately (Doesnt help that i fractured my coccyx a couple of years back)

Grom's looking good tooter... Ive wanted the TST gear for weeks now but the intergrated tail light isnt legal in the UK... Cry Cry!!

That's the correct one. I also have the Seat Concepts and its still one of the best mods have done yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Was it easy enough to install? did you need a decent staple gun etc?
Very easy to install. I would suggest a pneumatic staple gun if you have one available.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you mean this one fella??

https://seatconcepts.com/products/honda-2017-18-msx125-grom-gen-2-tall

I'm also currently looking into how to make this seat more comfy... the bottom of my spine is absolutely killing me lately (Doesnt help that i fractured my coccyx a couple of years back)

Grom's looking good tooter... Ive wanted the TST gear for weeks now but the intergrated tail light isnt legal in the UK... Cry Cry!!

It's not legal here either and neither is the exhaust! (lol) It's just not enforced because most Cops in California are also bikers.

That seat looks really nice!

2017-18_Grom_Tall.jpg

I'm going to try a cheaper approach first, and that's to install a small 1.5 inch lowering link on the rear shock to make the seat not tilt forward so much.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You can use to a manual staple gun but it's much much easier to use a pneumatic staple gun. If you don't have one then just snag one at HF for $25 (non sale price). https://www.harborfreight.com/20-gauge-stapler-61619.html

I used 7/16" crown / 1/4" length T50 staple as I have boxes of them.

IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0026.JPG IMG_0027.JPG

One reason it took so long to order a seat was that I thought the SC was going to raise the seat height slightly (i'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam), so I kept leaning towards Corbin. But I'm glad I went with SC, it's everything I could hope for in a seat, did not raise my seat height and was half the cost of the Corbin. Plus, Corbin has so many damn options for their seats I just couldn't settle on a design, lol. SC has only two options for the top material (CF or Gripper).

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just did the seat concepts the other day. I wouldn’t recommend trying it with the regular staple gun

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, man. :)
The bike runs totally different with the TOCE... lots more low end pull.
I'll post a vid when I get a chance... if it ever stops raining. (lol)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i feel as tho the license plate will hit the tire under suspension compression. Looking good though.
Yeah, I'm going to fix that when I get the real plate.
Right now it's just a temporary flexible paper license.
I'm 5'5" and only weigh 140 so I don't compress the rear shock very much. ; )

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Because I use my Grom for everyday utility transportation I keep a gas mileage log. It's still way too early to get an average as there's only 300 miles on it, but so far so good. The latest fill up was 140.4 mpg. This is with only a TOCE exhaust and leaving the stock intake completely untouched so I can get away with riding it for now without needing fuel management. The TOCE's increased low rpm torque really helps in short shifting the engine without needing to wind it out as much as with the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'm putting Monkey rear sets on my Grom.

f6TOIs0.jpg

It was late so I haven't put anything together yet or taken off the left rear set yet, but so far everything looks fine. The foot peg and brake pedal line up good. The Monkey sets have a really thick high gloss black finish just like the engine cases so they'll look great. The big difference so far is the lack of a low exhaust mount. Mine is high so it doesn't matter.

oW3F3io.jpg

It'll sure look a lot better without those huge silver lumps on the sides.

The Monkey rear sets together weigh 34 oz. Just the right Grom rear set alone weighs 34 oz! These things are gonna knock TWO pounds of weight off the bike.

The stock bike weighs 234 pounds wih ABS and 229 without. I have a non ABS. The already installed TST stuff has reduced the weight by 11 pounds, so together with the rear sets the curb weight of the bike will be only 218 pounds. This is a weight reduction of abou 5%. If you keep reducing the weight of a tiny bike with tiny engine, pretty soon it starts making a difference in how it performs. Reducing weight is the same as adding horsepower as well as enhancing braking power.

I got my DRZ400SM down to 301 pounds from 328 pounds
with alloy clip on bars, bobbing the rear frame, and a home made shorty Supertrapp exhaust that alone knocked off 5 pounds.

vboGJrl.jpg

this is what a stock one looks like.

DRZ400.jpg

1 - 20 of 244 Posts