Honda Grom banner

Took the Grom on a 400 mile camping trip. Pics!

14K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  VB 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys and gals,

This past weekend I drove the Grom about 400 miles round trip to Charlottesville, Virginia from Washington DC. Took back roads down to C'ville and came back up Skyline drive (Shenandoah nat'l park, Appalachians).

I packed everything I needed to camp (no food though except snacks & water), including:

-2 person tent
-sleeping pad
-sleeping bag (rolled this up with the pad)
-camp pillow (about half size of a normal pillow)
-extra fuel bottle
-change of clothes
-duffel bag
-compression sack
-2 water bottles
-walking shoes
-U lock for helmet/jacket

Observations:

-That seat is hard, and probably needs to be replaced/restuffed if I'm going to do future long rides.
-Knees get sore after riding for an hour bent in that shape.
-Grom can keep up pretty well on highways with 55 mph speed limits. I could go 55 to 60 on flats w/ no wind (my Grom is stock, not fully broken in, and I'm a lightweight)
-If you are creative and pack well, you can really carry a lot (w/ a rack of course). I got everything I needed for a 2 day camping trip with some room to spare.
-GreatShield clip grip (see pic) from amazon.com worked well to hold my iphone in its case (used this with sae to cigarette lighter adapter, see pic, zip tied to Vagabond rack)

Pics!

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Motor vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Grass
Mountainous landforms Nature Sky Natural landscape Wilderness
Mountainous landforms Highland Sky Mountain Nature
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Audio equipment Technology Headphones Electronic device Gadget
Vehicle Auto part Car Steering part Gauge
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

See less See more
#6 ·
It really works well- it is the Vagabond Motorsports fender eliminator and rack. Really nicely built steel rack- Two reasons I chose this setup:
1) there are attachment points on the sides of the rack that Vagabond is eventually going to use to make side racks for Givi saddle bags.
2) Vagabond also has a plate to clamp the milk crate down with very securely.

#20 ·
I would go for the Vagabond rack- it's only slightly more money but like I said, he's working on add-ons for the rack like mounts that slide on for Givi side panniers! To me this potential extra functionality is valuable. Good luck and let us know your camping strategies and ideas when you do go!

#21 ·
We did a shorter camping trip a couple of weeks back and I can pretty much mirror your observations. I tried a similar pack on the way out and realized that it puts me too far forward on the seat for being comfortable. I am 6 foot 2 and 270 though so I prefer to be a bit further back on the seat. A repack on the return trip helped a lot. I brought a small tent just in case as I was experimenting with a hammock. I wound up not using it so it wont be coming out next time. The hammock was great, and takes up very little space and weight

#23 ·
you can probably pick up a hammock at any camping/milsurp store. be prepared to spend a little extra for one with a canopy and bug netting though. Most do not come with tree straps or rope so be prepared for that also. The good news is that 550 paracord is cheap.

#25 ·
I used an ENO singlenest and a regular tarp this time with paracord. I have since bought the Atlas straps for it. If i didnt already own that one, there are a couple that I would probably look at. I think I would at least go to a doublenest for a little extra room. Completely packed the hammock is about the size of a grapefruit. Im making my own bugnet, but it is still cool enough here that i dont need it yet.

#26 ·
It is so much fun to try and pile as much crap in your basket as possible. I'll likely buy the Vagabond rack soon, after I get my 170cc kit back together. I'm looking forward to a multi-day trip down in Baja or around southern California. A buddy of mine, The monocular Doctor, picked up an entire thanksgiving dinner with 10lb turket.

Here is a picture of my old CT90 with the following in the basket.

1 Watermelon
1 Ribeye
12 pack bottle beer
8 Ginger beers (Moscow Mules)
2 bombers of IPA
2 head broccoli
2 artichokes
3 cartons coconut water(hangover helper)
2 Gatorades
1 box granola bar
with bananas on top
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Mode of transport

She is no beauty queen but runs awesome, 110cc of raw power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.