Honda Grom banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here with a TOCE so this likely won't mean much to anyone else. ;)
Got some quiet inserts for my exhaust for when I feel like a little peace and quiet. Dave Plummer on Facebook machines them and sells them.

GOPR0119.JPG

They go on or off in a minute with a tiny hex wrench.

Exhaust with inserts:

Open exhaust:

Riding video with inserts:

The smaller twin exits don't affect the performance as the TOCE uses the same size muffler cores on their 125cc exhausts as their 600cc exhausts. The sound is nice and mellow. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Is it that loud without the DB killers?

Do you wear earplugs?

I've got a loud pipe on my KTM and will wear earplugs for any rides more than 15 mins. I'm not running the DB killer on the loop exhaust on the Grom, but it's nowhere near as loud.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I don't know how you guys do it. I have very good, sensitive hearing and the Yoshimura RS-2 kills my ears on rides. I wore earplugs for the first time ever on a motorcycle last week with this exhaust. The earplugs made my ears hurt worse though and I had nausea afterwards so I'm not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Get better earplugs, custom fit if needed. There's a huge variety of options available.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Logged the first fill ups with the inserts. They averaged 142.4 mpg. That mileage included the riding while the ECU was learning the new opertating parameters so subsequent fill ups should be a bit higher. The open exhaust average is 148.7 mpg, so it's within the margin of error. This is significant because generally anything that reduces the sound of an exhaust also reduces performance. It's not the case with the inserts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Logged the first fill ups with the inserts. They averaged 142.4 mpg. That mileage included the riding while the ECU was learning the new opertating parameters so subsequent fill ups should be a bit higher. The open exhaust average is 148.7 mpg, so it's within the margin of error. This is significant because generally anything that reduces the sound of an exhaust also reduces performance. It's not the case with the inserts.
Sup Tooter, I just got the T-Slash kit from TST w/tail mod, etc. After a long install process and ECU reset I got everything up and running. The Toce is WAY louder than I expected it to be. So much so that after a first, ride, one of my eardrums is still ringing (never rode motorcycles before so didn't realize earplugs were a thing).

Quick question - Any reason why your Toce tips are flat, vs the Razor edge ones that I have that Toce sells through TST and their own website? I'm guessing it's still the same exhaust right?
Also would you really recommend Dave's baffles? I contacted him on fb and while they aren't cheap, it would be worth it to me to get rid of the ringing out of my ears and possible not need to ride with earplugs.

I love the look of the exhaust so much that I really wouldn't want to take it off for something quieter. Looking forward to your additional feedback. The videos were great but always difficult to tell how it sounds real world.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sup Tooter, I just got the T-Slash kit from TST w/tail mod, etc. After a long install process and ECU reset I got everything up and running. The Toce is WAY louder than I expected it to be. So much so that after a first, ride, one of my eardrums is still ringing (never rode motorcycles before so didn't realize earplugs were a thing).

Quick question - Any reason why your Toce tips are flat, vs the Razor edge ones that I have that Toce sells through TST and their own website? I'm guessing it's still the same exhaust right?
Also would you really recommend Dave's baffles? I contacted him on fb and while they aren't cheap, it would be worth it to me to get rid of the ringing out of my ears and possible not need to ride with earplugs.

I love the look of the exhaust so much that I really wouldn't want to take it off for something quieter. Looking forward to your additional feedback. The videos were great but always difficult to tell how it sounds real world.
My TOCE tips are flat because I cut off the slash ends. :playful: I like a more plain short stubby look.

IMG_1224.JPG

I bought two sets of quiet inserts from Dave to experiment with and I'll be happy to sell you a used set.

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_1313.JPG

They rounded on the outside and chamfered on the inside for smooth exhaust flow. I also stainless steel bead blasted them for a nicer finish. I can also throw in a couple of my own experimental prototype inner baffles as I'm working on another set.

IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1271.JPG

They fit nice and snug inside the TOCE muffler sections like this.

IMG_1279.JPG

The outers and inners can each either be used separately or they can be used together. You can have both the inner baffles and outer quiet inserts sets for $40 plus $6 for shipping. If you don't like them, send them back and I'll refund your $40 so you're only out the shipping. :)

Here's how they sound together in just regular riding under 50 mph. In real life there is more high frequency sound. My Go Pro chops off the high stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My TOCE tips are flat because I cut off the slash ends. :playful: I like a more plain short stubby look.

The outers and inners can each either be used separately or they can be used together. You can have both the inner baffles and outer quiet inserts sets for $40 plus $6 for shipping. If you don't like them, send them back and I'll refund your $40 so you're only out the shipping. :)

Here's how they sound together in just regular riding under 50 mph. In real life there is more high frequency sound. My Go Pro chops off the high stuff.
Oh, can't believe you cut the tips! I like the look!
I would take you up on that offer if I hadn't already paid Dave for his! Appreciate the offer though!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, can't believe you cut the tips! I like the look!
I would take you up on that offer if I hadn't already paid Dave for his! Appreciate the offer though!
That's fine. :) You're gonna LOVE them! TOCE uses the same diameter twin baffles for 600cc sportbikes as they do for the little Grom 125. This is why you can reduce the diameter of the exits without reducing performance one little bit. Another sound video of the quiet inserts with no internal baffles... way quieter than the open exhaust. :)

And a riding sound video...

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used a hack saw and cut slowly and carefully by hand. Then I rubbed the muffler back and forth on a flat piece of emery cloth to even out and smooth the cuts. It's just aluminum so it's real easy. :)

You're gonna LOVE Dave's inserts! :) The reason the diameter of the muffler exits can be reduced without affecting performance one little bit is that TOCE uses the SAME diameter baffles for 600cc sport bikes as they do for the tiny 125 Grom.

I've been having fun experimenting with home made internal baffles made from tubing and washers just to see how mellow I can get the exhaust without restricting the engine. Right now I'm working on a design that uses copper plumbing fittings! (lol)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts