Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an idea how to remove both wheels off the bike? Do they have a stand that will let you lift the front and take the wheel off? Sorry if this is a noob question. I am trying to save some cheesenero.

·
Registered
659 Posts
You need a front and rear stand. The rear stand needs a set of swingarm attachments cause there are no screw holes in the swing arm for spools...unless you add a kit to make a place for spools. After the back wheel is up, then you use the front stand with the proper sized triple tree pin to lift the front. I always loosen the wheels on the ground before putting a bike on the stands cause the wheels will turn otherwise. Then you remove the rear axle, slide off the brake and chain being careful not to damage the brake rotor or lose the spacer on the axle. Take the wheel off. Same with the front. You'll definitely need a torque wrench to tighten wheels to proper specs and re-grease the axle before replacing. If you are planning on replacing your own tires, I can tell you it is pretty hard without a good set up on small tires like the Grom has, but can be done. I've done it on my Vespa. Don't pick a cold day to do this. Leave the tires...both old and new in the sun to warm up and use lots of talcum power or other lubricant and be careful of fingers, eyes, teeth. You need to balance the tires too. Lots of YouTube videos on this though. I question myself whether it is worth the $200 I save doing this myself.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
He can bring the bike to the shop and pay $120 for a mounting and balance or he can pay $60 and bring the wheels and tires to the shop and have them mounted and balanced.

huh? it costs $120 to mount and balance my new tires? wait a minute i only paid $98 for the tires!!!

do i have to bring it to a bike shop? discount tires or ntb arent able to handle motorcycles?

·
Registered
311 Posts
They'll hide behind liability clauses. Motorcycle shops only.

Though I've talked really cool tire guys into dismounting/mounting them up. YMMV though.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Kent Powersports has a continuous half price sale on tires. I recently replaced my Gixxer tires with Michelin Power Pilot 3s which I bought from the dealer and had them install. $470. I think the installation if you buy the tires from them is $116 each when you just ride the bike in with the old tires on. Still, tires last a long time...7600 miles in this case. If you race bikes where you go through tires in a couple of days, you would have to do your own tires though or it would get ridiculously expensive. Most if not all those people who are taking off the oem tires and putting on other tires are doing the work themselves I think.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yes, suspending the bike works too if you have a place to do that. I prefer using a center stand, however I don't think that will work on the Grom since there is no skid plate, unibody or frame under the bike. You wouldn't want to try to jack up the bike from the crankcase plus the exhaust pipe is in the way I think. It does seem a little weird Honda didn't provide holes for spools on the swingarms. I have seen a couple of photos where people have added supports and spools. The service manual mentions getting the wheels off the ground for several procedures, but doesn't go into detail by mentioning any methods.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes, it works well for those without a lifting table.

If you're thinking you'll be working on your bike without tools, be prepared to be sorely mistaken.

$470 and they still had the nerve to charge you setup, dismount, and mount? Better have come with a happy ending.
Skeet
Skeet

·
Registered
335 Posts
You need a motorcycle lift. Got mine on sale at Sears for $99.99 years ago. You will need spacers as not to crush the exhaust system, though. Lift it on center, balanced, then do anything you want to it. That exhaust is not what I am used to, will need to add blocking on each side. And with my bellypan installed, forgetaboutit.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Kent Powersports has a continuous half price sale on tires. I recently replaced my Gixxer tires with Michelin Power Pilot 3s which I bought from the dealer and had them install. $470. I think the installation if you buy the tires from them is $116 each when you just ride the bike in with the old tires on. Still, tires last a long time...7600 miles in this case. If you race bikes where you go through tires in a couple of days, you would have to do your own tires though or it would get ridiculously expensive. Most if not all those people who are taking off the oem tires and putting on other tires are doing the work themselves I think.

Pilot power 3's at half off were $350?! I'd be buy from somewhere else. Msrp is $480 for the most expensive set. I just bought a set (120/180) for $290 from sport bike track gear. Even with the added price of not buying the tires from them it wouldve been cheaper by $30-$40.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I got one of these in my garage I used for my dirt bike.
I'm hoping to use it for the Grom.
Although the exhaust may get in the way

As for removing tyres.
It's a skill well worth learning, there are plenty of "how to's" on youtube.
Personally I wouldn't worry about balancing the tyres, unless there is an obvious problem.

Just as a FYI for those that don't know.
When fitting your own tyre, look for a small paint spot on the side wall.
That's the lightspot of the tyre.
And you should fit the tyre with that spot by the valve.

Dog

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Pilot power 3's at half off were $350?! I'd be buy from somewhere else. Msrp is $480 for the most expensive set. I just bought a set (120/180) for $290 from sport bike track gear. Even with the added price of not buying the tires from them it wouldve been cheaper by $30-$40.
Michelin was just having a sale on their tires. My Parts Unlimited rep was showing me the prices a couple weeks ago. Most shop's cost is more than what you can get tires online for. Just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Anyone have an idea how to remove both wheels off the bike? Do they have a stand that will let you lift the front and take the wheel off? Sorry if this is a noob question. I am trying to save some cheesenero.
I was just gonna flip it upside down and balance it on the handlebars and the seat like I did with my bicycle when I was a kid.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Michelin was just having a sale on their tires. My Parts Unlimited rep was showing me the prices a couple weeks ago. Most shop's cost is more than what you can get tires online for. Just the nature of the beast.

Oh I know. I worked for cycle gear for 9 years. I understand it all quite well. I was more saying half off wouldve meant the tires had a regular price of at least $700. Either way. That's a high price for regular price tires in a shop or online.

^ joking I hope. Minor detail of fluids.

Reactions: Simon Audi
1 - 20 of 29 Posts