Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that it's basically a throw back retro, how long do you think Honda will keep making them? I know what your thinking...." until sales slow down ". It's not like they will change the body style on it because it is what it is. A reproduction of a 1960s/ 70s bike. So how long does Honda continue to produce the Honda Monkey 125 ? Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
146 Posts
I think it'll keep going as long as there's people buying it.

The last z50jz model was 2017 and the first of the new 125 monkeys was 2018, so it's not really a reproduction of a 70's bike. They kinda just never stopped it.

Sent from my Atom_XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
That's my thinking. It's hard to believe something that runs so lean (and hot!!) isn't liquid cooled.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In the UK they are finishing ICE cars by 2030. Who knows what the future will be.....or if you'll be able to get fuel etc................me, I just think ride whilst you can and worry about it when you get there. If they ban petrol motorcycles, I'll put it in the lounge as a novelty table :)

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
146 Posts
I'm keeping my monkey forever. If fuel scarcity becomes a problem, I'll convert it to run on methanol lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
I imagine they will continue to make them for as long as they keep selling. They seem to be selling as soon as they hit the showroom floor. Plus, they get like 100mpg...so the green folks really can't complain. I just hope they keep it like it is and not try to continually bump up the power and make it a mini race bike. It's pretty much perfect as it is now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think the Monkey may get the new Grom engine in 22 or 23. I wish not but I think it will.

As to the end of ICE, there will be rumors of wars and there will be wars. I just came back from a trip out west in my Tacoma TRD, spent several days where there was absolutely no fuel available. I carried my own and even when we finally made it to pavement it was still a hundred miles or more to the nearest fuel stop. Europe or Britain with the short driving distances EVs make more sense, heck, I drove across Britain in one day with tourist stops. I did not see a single battery charging station along the 4X4 trail (road) we traversed. There are no batteries even on the drawing boards that have the energy density of gasoline or diesel and the net net environemtal impact is not much different when you consider all of the toxic materials in those batteries and the toxic materials generated in their manufacture. There may come a day when ICE goes away but in large countires with vast distances to cover, like the US, not anytime soon.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
146 Posts
The aftermarket will never catch up because the new stud spacing limits how big you can go

·
Registered
72 Posts
Uh, lol, because I do not want to have to buy yet another Monkey?

Frankly, it would be more tempting if Honda had bumped it to a 175. Then highway sprints at 70 MPH would be easy. My old Honda SL175 (18.5 horsepower) could top 80 MPH. A single 175 in a Monkey/Grom should be good for 16 horsepower and 70+ MPH.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A 175cc would be great, but I dont think theyll do it . .pity theres not a drop in engine..

·
Registered
72 Posts
A 175cc would be great, but I dont think theyll do it . .pity theres not a drop in engine..
I agree, about as much chance of that happening as a snowball in Hades. But I would have not thought they would have spent the money and engineering effort to develop another 125cc engine unless Honda intends to continue producing fun, low impact, and actually somewhat useful small motorcycles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We ran the new bike to 63 mph in 4th. Can’t wait to see what 5th does with a little more power...
60 is my max so far, but I think there are a few more MPH in there. I usually run out of open road and have to brake before topping out. I like the fact that it's not a high-powered machine. It adds to it's character. It is what it is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts