Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's been done MANY times.

as have yamaha minarelli 2 stroke swaps.

there's also been burgman swaps.

as far as honda swaps go there have been;
elite 80
elite 150
elite 250
reflex
silverwing
crf motors
Not saying it's not doable. And in fact, with ALL of the swaps I have seen on the net I was thinking it was pretty darn easy. Then I looked into it and it just seemed way more complicated than anything I wanted to tackle. Heck, just souring the parts seemed like a PITA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2009 Black Honda Ruckus-Low Mileage-

Four years old

Been Crashed

Broken Front Brake Caliber

Bent Front Wheel

Serious Buyers only

$1500. What?!

Give me a F ing break. WAY over priced IMO. But apparently I am alone because they are all priced like that. People are asking $2000-$2500 for used ones with no warranty and who knows what kind of maintenance if any. Pretty sure the MSRP on a NEW one is still only $2500.
You guys in this thread are just making yourselves look foolish talking about the Ruck with absolutely no clue. OP, that Ruck above isn't that bad of a deal. If all that's wrong with it is a bent front wheel and drum brake, then that's simple to fix. The Ruck community would take care of you, hell, I'll send you a whole front wheel with brake assembly and Michelin Bopper for free if you pay the shipping. This is what you dudes don't GET, its not just the scooter itself, its everything that comes with it: the community, the ability to customize, the fun, the individualism compared to every other scoot on the road. Fuck yeah the stock Ruck is slow, but that's half of the fun; cruising around not caring where you're headed or how fast. The other half of the fun is in making it faster. I was a motorcycle guy before I got my Ruck, and I didn't know shit about scoots. Now, I can't tell you how many times I've had my Ruck in pieces, completely taken apart. There is nothing on my scoot that I don't know how it works, and how to fix it. Everyone should have that knowledge for whatever they ride/drive. Maybe one day you will GET it, but for now... keep daydreaming... Here's a pic of the Ruck that I just finished building from the ground up, and before you say shit about "Tearing out that awesome Honda motor to put in one of those awful gy6's" bear in mind that not only do I have another Ruck that is still GET(Honda motor) but that this scoot never was a Honda, it was born a GY6 because I built it that way! Besides, a gy6 is only as unreliable and prone to failure as the person that installed/maintains it, most kids just take the engine and harness out of some beat-up donor scoot with thousands of miles that they find for $200 on CL... not me, my engine and harness are brand new, mine runs great! And if/when it breaks down, I'll know how to fix it.p.s. for the Ruck dudes out there, pay no attention to that OEM shock, I've since upgraded to an NCY. p.p.s. MSRP is $2649 and Warranty?! Who gives a shit about a warranty?! I'll probably void the warranty on my Grom before I make it off the lot...

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Gy6 are Chinese pieces of junk.. No matter how much sugar you put on it, it's a fact

People love them because they're cheap and is why the swap will never die, when you take it new out of the box and get 10min down the road and it drops a valve, it's junk.. Or when the stator goes bad after a month of use or when your swingarm cracks or when you strip the cvt bolts because the aluminum is so soft or when the final drive sheers inside the tranny case or when the tranny bearings destroy themselves after a month of use

I've built gy6 rucks, I've big bored them, I've stroked them, I've build 200+ cc big bore strokers and they're all junk.. if going fast means more to you than having something you can rely on then by all means, a gy6 is for you.. Not for me, I came full circle back to GETs and haven't thought twice about it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gy6 are Chinese pieces of junk.. No matter how much sugar you put on it, it's a fact

People love them because they're cheap and is why the swap will never die, when you take it new out of the box and get 10min down the road and it drops a valve, it's junk.. Or when the stator goes bad after a month of use or when your swingarm cracks or when you strip the cvt bolts because the aluminum is so soft or when the final drive sheers inside the tranny case or when the tranny bearings destroy themselves after a month of use

I've built gy6 rucks, I've big bored them, I've stroked them, I've build 200+ cc big bore strokers and they're all junk.. if going fast means more to you than having something you can rely on then by all means, a gy6 is for you.. Not for me, I came full circle back to GETs and haven't thought twice about it
Out of all the people on this forum, I'm surprised that you would disagree with me. Mainly because you probably didn't read my whole post and you missed the point. You probably read until you saw the word 'gy6' and then you decided to go off on some diatribe about gy's when thats not even the topic at hand. I never said that the gy was infallible, nor did I ever say that it was better than a GET. All I said was there is two ways of doing it, one that reduces your chance of problems and one that increases it. Just like every other GEThead all you want to do is trash the gy6. I even pointed out that it WILL break down, and that I'll have to fix it. On top of that, I pointed out how I still have my reliable GET in another Ruckus, but you didnt read that, you were already too busy tooting your own stroked-and-bored horn while simultaneously trashing my scoot. My point, since you obviously missed it, is that the Ruck is worth every penny, no matter what you decide to do with it because of the community, but you kinda came in and made us all look bad by acting all holier than thou with your full circle back to GETs. It was more important for you to shit on gy6's than it was to compliment someone on a build/job well done. I don't give a shit if you don't like gy's, its my fuckin scoot, not yours, and it definitely does not want or need your approval!

·
Registered
112 Posts
This "Chinese piece of crap" GY6 engine is actually a Honda engine, folks, developed in the 60's. Korean and Chinese companies have been making them since the 80's.
I've been running mine hard for over a year, and other than an initial issue with the weak stator, a known upgrade requirement, I've enjoyed every second of this brutal, scrappy workhorse. I guess that all my GY6 friends and I are lucky to have had nearly flawless reliability with our GY6's? Funny thing is, it's the guys tinkering with their stock engines, trying to eek out a little more out of the GET, that are the ones sidelined and having issues.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You guys in this thread are just making yourselves look foolish talking about the Ruck with absolutely no clue. OP, that Ruck above isn't that bad of a deal. If all that's wrong with it is a bent front wheel and drum brake, then that's simple to fix. The Ruck community would take care of you, hell, I'll send you a whole front wheel with brake assembly and Michelin Bopper for free if you pay the shipping. This is what you dudes don't GET, its not just the scooter itself, its everything that comes with it: the community, the ability to customize, the fun, the individualism compared to every other scoot on the road. Fuck yeah the stock Ruck is slow, but that's half of the fun; cruising around not caring where you're headed or how fast. The other half of the fun is in making it faster. I was a motorcycle guy before I got my Ruck, and I didn't know shit about scoots. Now, I can't tell you how many times I've had my Ruck in pieces, completely taken apart. There is nothing on my scoot that I don't know how it works, and how to fix it. Everyone should have that knowledge for whatever they ride/drive. Maybe one day you will GET it, but for now... keep daydreaming... Here's a pic of the Ruck that I just finished building from the ground up, and before you say shit about "Tearing out that awesome Honda motor to put in one of those awful gy6's" bear in mind that not only do I have another Ruck that is still GET(Honda motor) but that this scoot never was a Honda, it was born a GY6 because I built it that way! Besides, a gy6 is only as unreliable and prone to failure as the person that installed/maintains it, most kids just take the engine and harness out of some beat-up donor scoot with thousands of miles that they find for $200 on CL... not me, my engine and harness are brand new, mine runs great! And if/when it breaks down, I'll know how to fix i......
Hey Mike, way to make friends and influence people LOL. But thanks for verifying that I actually DO get it. Rucks are slower n shit off the showroom floor. Not necessarily a bad thing unless you need something that will do 45-50 on a regular basis to SAFELY ride in your hood. That is what I need and a GET Ruck wont really do that with my fat butt on it. Also, as I mentioned, the thing that really makes me want one is seeing guys on the internet cruise in large groups. Taking it easy and not caring when you arrive. Yep, that would be a blast and that alone would be enough to park on in my garage. But there are no groups around here. I have checked the net and there are no local clubs. Also, in the 17 years I have lived here I have seen a grand total of ONE Ruck on the road and it was highly modded to keep up with the traffic.

Now if Honda brings the Zoomer-X over to the US, or better yet puts that 110cc engine in the current Ruck.... Im IN!

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Milehighmike you sure took that awfully personal.. I never said anything about your bike or the direction you choose to take it and yes I read your entire post, was I supposed to applaud and tell you how amazing your ruck looks? this isn't your build thread so I moved along to the thing I saw and wanted to respond to "Besides, a gy6 is only as unreliable and prone to failure as the person that installed/maintains it" which isn't true and is where my post came from

when was I tooting my own horn? I didn't come into a thread about overpriced rucks and post pics and a story about how I built my ruck from the bottom up, I posted about what I've done with them to show I've been in and out of them, assembled stock and ss/bb setups and they still ended up junk :shrug: sorry that somehow means I'm bashing your build?

Gleech I'm aware of where the engine design comes from, still doesn't remove the fact these current, swap engines are made in china and are junk, I know plenty of people who've bolted up a brand new gy6 (and even donors) and gone thousands of miles without needing a thing but I know more who've had to replace something (sometimes the whole engine) because some cheap part decided to break, I had a buddy a few weeks ago have the engine mount ear/bushing tear out of the case while he was going down the interstate.. Real quality stuff

As far as GETs go (here's tooting my horn) I've helped a handful of people now push the 60mph barrier while staying stock displacement and are perfectly reliable, far more reliable than any gy6 ran at the same extreme as a GET turning +10k rpms daily..

·
Registered
112 Posts
A lot of the everyday stuff we use comes from China, Strokd. Not all of it is bad. A lot of it is, true, but we should really put the blame where it belongs: On all the privileged snobs in this country and other wealthy countries that want cheap goods while taking advantage of the cheap labor in China. It's hard to find anything not made there anymore. Why, even our Grom/MSX 125's are made in Taiwan, officially the Republic of China. So, according to your blanket judgement, Strokd, we will all soon be very disappointed with these pieces of crap too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tyler: Thank you

Rkwfxd: Sorry if I offended you. I can see how I came off as a jerk by calling you 'foolish.' But to be clear, I don't live in a small town, I live in Denver. I'm not riding on backroads here, I've had my GET on I-70. I've had no problem cruising all around the city on my GET. If its not for you, that's cool. I'm not the one here trying to force a certain engine on people. Besides, if you're trying to tell me that there's only one Ruck to ride with in So Cal, then you really don't have a clue...

Strokd: How did you not trash my scoot? I posted a pic of a GY6 Ruck, and then you immediately come in and say "GY6's are crap." You want to act like I'm some jerk that came in just to brag and post pics of my scoot, not true. In fact, this is the first pic of my scoots that I've posted on here. Go check TR, there's only one pic of this Ruck on there too, hardly seeking attention. How many times have you posted pics of yours on here, hmmmm?? I posted pics so people can SEE a GY6 Ruck, and so they can understand that they aren't all crap, and that they aren't all 'swapped.' I expect to see this kind of GY6 bashing on TR, but to see it here is a little disheartening. Especially in a thread like this for people that aren't familiar with Rucks, you come in and tell everyone that a GY6 is trash as if its a fact. This is not a fact, its your opinion. Just because yours was a p.o.s. and wouldn't run, doesn't mean that all of them are like that. And as far as my point about the person that installs/maintains it, it seems like YOU took this a little personal, that's why you felt the need to tell everyone what a piece of 'junk' GY6's are. Don't act like I came to threadjack, that's what you did with your rant about GY6's. Your rant that had absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well now you have insulted me twice. First by calling me foolish and then saying I did not have a clue and both times you failed to actually read and comprehend my posts

FTR - I did NOT say there is only one Ruck in So Cal, I said where I live for the past 17 years I have only seen one.

Of course there is more than one in So Cal. Only a total fucking idiot would think I said there was only one in So Cal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
But there are no groups around here. I have checked the net and there are no local clubs. Also, in the 17 years I have lived here I have seen a grand total of ONE Ruck on the road and it was highly modded to keep up with the traffic.
You're right, I'm 'a total fucking idiot' because you CLEARLY stated SPECIFICALLY Whittier, not generalizing saying 'around here.' MY BAD. Besides, there's lots of dudes in specifically Whittier and the surrounding areas, they ride every week. Here's a ride they did the other day: TotalRuckus ? View topic - SGV - Whittier to UCLA Wed 7-10 you're welcome. And 'ftr' I did apologize to you for calling you foolish...

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
OK. Well for the record. Im sorry. I should not have said that. Thanks for the link.

Sent from my DROIDX using HondaGrom.net mobile app

·
Registered
325 Posts
Someone can think gy6's are crap and NOT diss someone's bike/ride JUST the engine choice.

and rkwfxd YOU CAN EASILY have a GET ruck that hits/ maintains 45-560mph. pretty easily even.

·
Registered
325 Posts
FYI there's a ton of rucks within 10 miles of whittier.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I think it's like any vehicle once you have one you start noticing them everywhere. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and people need to stop being so damn sensitive. This isn't a lifetime channel forum. Lol

21 - 40 of 54 Posts