Discussion Starter #1
2009 Black Honda Ruckus-Low Mileage-

Four years old

Been Crashed

Broken Front Brake Caliber

Bent Front Wheel

Serious Buyers only

$1500. What?!

Give me a F ing break. WAY over priced IMO. But apparently I am alone because they are all priced like that. People are asking $2000-$2500 for used ones with no warranty and who knows what kind of maintenance if any. Pretty sure the MSRP on a NEW one is still only $2500.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Watch these prices drop like crazy over the winter, I think the Grom is really going to steal a lot of customers. On the bright side, at least our Grom's will most likely have awesome resell values!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well to be honest I think the main reason I want one is that the runs I see look like fun. It that happens with the Grom, doubt I'll give Rucks a second thought.

·
Registered
257 Posts
At least for my area... Supply and demand plays a role here again. They also have all the new bike charges (freight, setup, tax/tag/dmv), so new they aren't 2500 OTD. So many sell for around msrp too, or over if your mods meet the needs of the buyer.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Around here people want crazy amounts for theirs too. I only buy if I can find a steal. Last year I got two 2009's with under 500 miles for $1100 each. And one had a Leo Vince pipe.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Those are some good prices!! Sweet finds!

I like to buy my new bikes in the winter, usually just before Christmas... Deals are easier to find then here in MD when it's cold and people can use some extra holiday cash.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Grom is going to be what the Ruckus is x10. Trust me. Grom value will drop significantly once Grom is out because its much more of a machine.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Buy one outside of cali. just make sure you can fudge the odo to say over 7500 miles......

SUPPLY and DEMAND.

Stock rucks used IMO should be worth less than 1k. But people can get more than that so people ask for more than that.

and yes an UGLY, SLOW, BORING, LAME stock Ruckus IS only $2,649 plus destination..... Nowadays with all the used Rucks out here and the realization of JUST HOW COOL they can be I would NEVER buy new.... When I got mine it was pretty green to all but the most extreme folks.... and or nerds.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Grom is going to be what the Ruckus is x10. Trust me. Grom value will drop significantly once Grom is out because its much more of a machine.
wouldn't go anywhere near THAT far but yeah, a lot is gona change in the small motorcycle/scooter world.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buy one outside of cali. just make sure you can fudge the odo to say over 7500 miles......

WHY OVER 7500 MILES?

SUPPLY and DEMAND.

Stock rucks used IMO should be worth less than 1k. But people can get more than that so people ask for more than that.

AGREED. I'D BE IN THE MARKET AT $800-$1000

and yes an UGLY, SLOW, BORING, LAME stock Ruckus IS only $2,649 plus destination..... Nowadays with all the used Rucks out here and the realization of JUST HOW COOL they can be I would NEVER buy new.... When I got mine it was pretty green to all but the most extreme folks.... and or nerds.
Yeah I was hoping to not buy new but the price difference between new and used around here....oh wait, there really isnt a price difference. LOL

·
Registered
684 Posts
What gets me is when they swap the stock GET motor out for a Chinese GY6 and then think it worth like 5K, give me a break.

·
Registered
393 Posts
What gets me is when they swap the stock GET motor out for a Chinese GY6 and then think it worth like 5K, give me a break.
The only way I want a gy6 swap is if I do it myself and know the work is quality. BUT... I will stay GET with any of mine that i get especially now that I'm going to have a grom.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My ideal swap with be a motor from a larger Honda scooter. Dont even know if that is possible. I looked BRIEFLY at the gy6 swap and quickly realized it is a lot more work than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I like the Honda Ruckus except for the lack of enclosed storage space and 50cc is just too small for me. Generally, they seem to be over-priced as well. One of the benefits of most scooters is the under-seat storage. You can't argue with the popularity and dependability of the Ruckus though. 50cc barely works where I live. I had a 50cc Sportcity scooter and had to get over to the right to let traffic go by more than I would like. Slowing down going up hills and headwinds were an issue too. A 125 cc scooter or the Grom will keep up with traffic much better. Then the issue becomes do you want to ride it on the interstate or faster secondary roads. If so, even a 125cc is generally too small. My Vespa 300 goes 82 mph and I zip onto interstates all the time. Still a small scooter (50cc) can be great fun. You can get almost anywhere by using bicycle routes and avoiding high-speed roads. I live between Austin and San Antonio and went to both of those cities on my 50cc scooter which was great fun. Chinese scooters are not very popular around here. The company that was selling them locally was sued by the state and closed down for not following through with deliveries, parts, and warranty repairs. In other words....fraud. I haven't seen a Chinese scooter (in working order and on the road) in years now. Plenty of Vespas, Kymcos, Yamahas, and Hondas though. Dealer support or lack thereof is a huge factor.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the Honda Ruckus except for the lack of enclosed storage space and 50cc is just too small for me. Generally, they seem to be over-priced as well. One of the benefits of most scooters is the under-seat storage. You can't argue with the popularity and dependability of the Ruckus though. 50cc barely works where I live. I had a 50cc Sportcity scooter and had to get over to the right to let traffic go by more than I would like. Slowing down going up hills and headwinds were an issue too. A 125 cc scooter or the Grom will keep up with traffic much better. Then the issue becomes do you want to ride it on the interstate or faster secondary roads. If so, even a 125cc is generally too small. My Vespa 300 goes 82 mph and I zip onto interstates all the time. Still a small scooter (50cc) can be great fun. You can get almost anywhere by using bicycle routes and avoiding high-speed roads. I live between Austin and San Antonio and went to both of those cities on my 50cc scooter which was great fun. Chinese scooters are not very popular around here. The company that was selling them locally was sued by the state and closed down for not following through with deliveries, parts, and warranty repairs. In other words....fraud. I haven't seen a Chinese scooter (in working order and on the road) in years now. Plenty of Vespas, Kymcos, Yamahas, and Hondas though. Dealer support or lack thereof is a huge factor.
Totally agree. I think the Ruck would be a BLAST. But, I need 45-50 mph around here to get where I need to go safely. If the Ruck could do that off the showroom floor it would have been worth the MSRP to me. But it can't so that makes it a very limited use toy for me and I have not been willing to pay the prices the dealer wants for a new one or PP want for a used one. The Grom on the other hand will do those speeds all day long so I can use it for almost 100% of the riding I like to do. So it is well worth the MSPR to me. While a 150 is legal on the fwy here in Cal I would fell better if I were on a 300 or so.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yeah I was hoping to not buy new but the price difference between new and used around here....oh wait, there really isnt a price difference. LOL
over 7500 miles to be able toregister an out of state vehicle in ca It's the law.

you can get a nicely done motor swapped ruckus for 3,000 go that route.....

·
Registered
325 Posts
My ideal swap with be a motor from a larger Honda scooter. Dont even know if that is possible. I looked BRIEFLY at the gy6 swap and quickly realized it is a lot more work than I thought it would be.
It's been done MANY times.

as have yamaha minarelli 2 stroke swaps.

there's also been burgman swaps.

as far as honda swaps go there have been;
elite 80
elite 150
elite 250
reflex
silverwing
crf motors

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
over 7500 miles to be able toregister an out of state vehicle in ca It's the law.

you can get a nicely done motor swapped ruckus for 3,000 go that route.....
Are you sure about that? This is the FIRST I have ever heard of a mileage requirement.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts