Honda Grom banner
221 - 236 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I went and tested performance gain. On my 2022 Monkey, I have installed Yoshimura full exhaust RS3, Chimera intake, DHM S1 CAM, and DHM ecu tune.
And Now I actually feel the power difference.
I can go 6-7 miles faster everywhere. On a steep uphill where I could do only 51 mph, I am able to go 57 mph.
And top speed has increased to 66-67 mph. It used to be 59-60 mph.

Power mods and cost so far...
1. Yoshimura with spark arrestor = $650
2. Chimera intake = $140.
3. DHM CAM = $180.
4. DHM ecu flash = $200.

Total = $1170.

I am happy with the result as I can comfortably travel on 55 mph roads even on the steepest sections.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I went and tested performance gain. On my 2022 Monkey, I have installed Yoshimura full exhaust RS3, Chimera intake, DHM S1 CAM, and DHM ecu tune.
And Now I actually feel the power difference.
I can go 6-7 miles faster everywhere. On a steep uphill where I could do only 51 mph, I am able to go 57 mph.
And top speed has increased to 66-67 mph. It used to be 59-60 mph.

Power mods and cost so far...
1. Yoshimura with spark arrestor = $650
2. Chimera intake = $140.
3. DHM CAM = $180.
4. DHM ecu flash = $200.

Total = $1170.

I am happy with the result as I can comfortably travel on 55 mph roads even on the steepest sections.
But will it hold up?

·
Registered
98 Posts
But will it hold up?
I hope so.
I will keep updating with how my Monkey is doing.
The bike had 325 miles this morning and it now has 402 miles.
As of today, I do not have plans to do high compression piston install.
My sprockets are all stock and the speedometer is very accurate according to the radar speed checkers on two different occasions.

I wanted to see how fast 4th gear will go and it bounced off the rev limiter at 66 mph. So this tells me, 5th gear has room to run but the power is the limiting factor. On a slight decline, I saw 74 mph in 5th gear. :)
Some say the bike runs faster in warmer weather than cold weather and today it was about 50ºF.

And on Youtube, I have seen a 2022 Grom with the same mods hit 72 or 73 mph but I have read Grom speedometers are off by a few mph.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I hope so.
I will keep updating with how my Monkey is doing.
The bike had 325 miles this morning and it now has 402 miles.
As of today, I do not have plans to do high compression piston install.
My sprockets are all stock and the speedometer is very accurate according to the radar speed checkers on two different occasions.

I wanted to see how fast 4th gear will go and it bounced off the rev limiter at 66 mph. So this tells me, 5th gear has room to run but the power is the limiting factor. On a slight decline, I saw 74 mph in 5th gear. :)
Some say the bike runs faster in warmer weather than cold weather and today it was about 50ºF.

And on Youtube, I have seen a 2022 Grom with the same mods hit 72 or 73 mph but I have read Grom speedometers are off by a few mph.
Just curious, in a perfect world where warranty isn't a concern, is there a certain mileage range people like to reach after break-in before adding a stage 2 upgrade? I'm no mechanic and am wondering on how swapping in a more aggressive cam at the "right" time might affect other engine internals vs a period as early on as you did.

I have always liked racing around making do with the stock Grom engine on back roads but reading about your experience has gained my interest.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My bike seems to do better in warmer weather as well.

More power means more stress on other parts, like the clutch and transmission, as well as the crankshaft.
From what I can tell, these motors run on the hot side, and more power and higher rpm's may increase oil temps, while setting the mixture may reduce engine temps.

I know a LOT of people have done some radical stuff to Grom's and those guys could likely say how the motors hold up and what the weak points are.
Uncle voodoo blew up his stock monkey a few times he reports, but he does some crazy stuff with it...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just curious, in a perfect world where warranty isn't a concern, is there a certain mileage range people like to reach after break-in before adding a stage 2 upgrade? I'm no mechanic and am wondering on how swapping in a more aggressive cam at the "right" time might affect other engine internals vs a period as early on as you did.

I have always liked racing around making do with the stock Grom engine on back roads but reading about your experience has gained my interest.
1. With any hondas i have owned or any car for that matter nothing ever goes wrong during the first year. And i am betting that on a simple motorcycle as Grom or Monkey, nothing is going to break within 1 year before warranty expires anyway.
so voiding the 1 year warranty was not a concern for me.

2. Many people are doing stage 2 on these bikes. With internet forums and youtubes, I would have seen lots of warnings or regret videos already if stage 2 mod resulted in quick engine failures.

so i was not worried at all. Stage 3 or bbk may require oil cooling and that is where i draw the line for now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tried a 'Superlite' 428 pitch front sprocket on for fitment. Maybe paranoia but doesn’t quite look like it has as deep teeth for the countershaft splines.
Seems to fitsnug with zero play so I’m probably over thinking it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Washed the dirty Monkey, went for a nice street ride, then fit my new mobbers.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

What a ^$#$%$#$% to get the back one on, NEVER again!
Took it for a test ride and the tires seem to really suck!
You feel like the bike will fall over making a turn on the street, and in the little patch of woods across the street they seemed no better then the stock tires or the Mitas mc19's I took off!
I will give them another longer test but suspect I will sawzall them off!

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Zeta windshield came and gotta say, holy shit what a pain in the ass to get on. I have my bars rolled forward for a bit more reach, and getting the brake line to clear the mount is quite a trick.

Also noticed that the bolts for attaching the shield to the mount are a bit short so I'll be getting some longer ones.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I noticed the deeper fit on the spline of the monkey 14t sprocket. Not chamfered. When I ordered a 15t from Honda for the Grom I used the microfiche and it came chamfered. I’m running it without issues
Good to know (if I’m reading you correctly) as the new Superlite replacement sprocket looks chamfered so I suppose this will make it appear different.

221 - 236 of 236 Posts