Honda Grom banner
201 - 220 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
How effective are you finding the windscreen? I've started doing some bigger rides on my Monkey this year and can certainly see where getting out of the wind a bit would be nice. Your setup looks great and I may copy it.
I have not had chances to ride it because i sent out the ecu for a flash to DHM for the Yoshi exhaust which will be installed on Wednesday.
I could mount the screen upside-down as well to have the wider end at the top but it will sit a couple of inches lower in that configuration. Either way it will help with fighting the wind in long distance riding. I cannot wait!

Brown Wood Bag Material property Beige

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good work Jim. I bought my Monkey for a ridiculous trip as well. Just bought another rear tyre today. Gone against the grain and bought another Vee rubber. Reason being 700 miles on it and there’s just over 1mm wear. They might be crap at gripping but for distance they might be the ticket

·
Registered
76 Posts
I thought the stock tires gripped well on the street, and they were quiet.

Good work Jim. I bought my Monkey for a ridiculous trip as well. Just bought another rear tyre today. Gone against the grain and bought another Vee rubber. Reason being 700 miles on it and there’s just over 1mm wear. They might be crap at gripping but for distance they might be the ticket

·
Registered
40 Posts
@Brett. To be fair I haven’t had any issues with the stock tyres either but they get a slating. I dont find them that bad or i wouldn’t have ordered another.
New chimney looking good Jim.
Looking at shocks today.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Please post with how well it works once you've had a chance to try it out.
I just did a morning ride before breakfast.
The shield works. I tried to feel the wind behind the shield with my hand at 50mph, and there was no wind between the shield and my chest.
The shield sits well below my shoulders but when I felt the stream of air above the shield, it was hitting my helmet.
On the side, stock rearview mirrors were within the bubble as well.
So the air bubble created by the shield is quite large.
The approximate size of the bubble is represented by the yellow circle below.
It was 52ºF and I was feeling warmer than before.
I can adjust the angle of the shield but currently it is about 85º.
It is shielding very effectively.
However, I feel it is creating noticeable drag.
This was my first ride since putting on the Yoshi exhaust and DHM ecu flash. The instruction from DHM states it takes about 15 miles before the ecu settles and become fully effective. But I got 61 mph.
So I will have to go out again for top speed testing and the shield will have a negative effect.
I will have to go test top speed with and without.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire Motorcycle

·
Registered
98 Posts
@Shinkers, I went for a ride after taking the shield off. And the top speed was the same. lol. So as far as the shield goes, there is no extra drag.
And the Yoshi + DHM ecu does not increase top speed much but the Monkey pulls harder at all rev ranges.
I put the shield back on and went for a 1+ hour long ride. I love how much wind the shield blocks!
With or without comparison convinced me that the ride is much more pleasurable with the shield in 56ºF weather.
In summer when it is hot, I may prefer to get blasted by the wind to cool off. But right now, I definitely like how it feels with the shield on.

I received the DHM Cam in the mail today. I will have to order an intake, install the Cam, and send out the ecu for reflash... The fun continues.

Automotive tire Camera accessory Household hardware Suspension Audio equipment

I just did a morning ride before breakfast.
The shield works. I tried to feel the wind behind the shield with my hand at 50mph, and there was no wind between the shield and my chest.
The shield sits well below my shoulders but when I felt the stream of air above the shield, it was hitting my helmet.
On the side, stock rearview mirrors were within the bubble as well.
So the air bubble created by the shield is quite large.
The approximate size of the bubble is represented by the yellow circle below.
It was 52ºF and I was feeling warmer than before.
I can adjust the angle of the shield but currently it is about 85º.
It is shielding very effectively.
However, I feel it is creating noticeable drag.
This was my first ride since putting on the Yoshi exhaust and DHM ecu flash. The instruction from DHM states it takes about 15 miles before the ecu settles and become fully effective. But I got 61 mph.
So I will have to go out again for top speed testing and the shield will have a negative effect.
I will have to go test top speed with and without.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I received the DHM Cam in the mail today. I will have to order an intake, install the Cam, and send out the ecu for reflash... The fun continues.

View attachment 92352
Jim, I am curious and thought I'd ask since you're in the midst of a DHM stage 2 upgrade on your 22 and you may have already given this consideration. You're adding a DHM S1 cam, flash tune, intake, and exhaust. Have you or should you need to consider an oil cooler at some point with just those changes?

I know an oil cooler is important for BBK's but is there a general consensus on whether any sort of oil cooling might be needed or recommended for the DHM stage 2 upgrade you're undertaking on the 22 engine?

Would you be able to "run wild" wide open on the road for a lengthy time carefree of any reliability/durability considerations or repercussions if the need to do so arises with out any additional cooling modifications once your planned upgrade is complete?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jim, I am curious and thought I'd ask since you're in the midst of a DHM stage 2 upgrade on your 22 and you may have already given this consideration. You're adding a DHM S1 cam, flash tune, intake, and exhaust. Have you or should you need to consider an oil cooler at some point with just those changes?

I know an oil cooler is important for BBK's but is there a general consensus on whether any sort of oil cooling might be needed or recommended for the DHM stage 2 upgrade you're undertaking on the 22 engine?

Would you be able to "run wild" wide open on the road for a lengthy time carefree of any reliability/durability considerations or repercussions if the need to do so arises with out any additional cooling modifications once your planned upgrade is complete?
On Youtube, I have not seen anyone install an oil cooler for stage 2 mods.
DHM tuning addresses the issue by providing proper fuel air ratio whereas intake + exhaust w/o tuning will run the engine too lean, which will run the engine hotter.
If my bike develops any engine related problems after the installation, I will make sure to write about it.
I often go WOT because I travel on 50-55mph zone frequently. And when I take the Monkey on longer trips this summer, it sure will get tested on longer stretches of uphills where I will go WOT. 😄

·
Registered
194 Posts
On Youtube, I have not seen anyone install an oil cooler for stage 2 mods.
DHM tuning addresses the issue by providing proper fuel air ratio whereas intake + exhaust w/o tuning will run the engine too lean, which will run the engine hotter.
If my bike develops any engine related problems after the installation, I will make sure to write about it.
I often go WOT because I travel on 50-55mph zone frequently. And when I take the Monkey on longer trips this summer, it sure will get tested on longer stretches of uphills where I will go WOT. 😄
Thanks. Looking forward to reading about your experiences.

And will you be staying with 87 octane fill ups after or might that change?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks. Looking forward to reading about your experiences.

And will you be staying with 87 octane fill ups after or might that change?
I may get 92 if it is ethanol free. Otherwise, 87.

180 miles per fill up.
in 10000 miles, 56 fill ups X $0.50 = $28.
I have never done the calculations before but That is not significant difference.
But it feels good to be able to use 87.

201 - 220 of 236 Posts