Honda Grom banner
2881 - 2900 of 2945 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
The Duke 390 does sound like it will be a good choice for what you want. I don’t want a really big or really powerful bike. I’ve been looking for something on the lighter side that can be thrown around pretty easily. The Duke 390 has been on my short list for a while. The price is hard to beat. I think I’m going to wait though, and see what the new Duke 490 is like.

My fear is that it will be heavy and lose some of the flickability that the 390 has. If KTM could keep the weight low, the 490 might be something I would consider.

I really like the Grom and I plan to keep it, but it is definitely a money pit.

·
Registered
148 Posts
but it is definitely a money pit
For me, personally, I’m okay with the money pit part of it.

There‘s two ways I think to look at the Grom.

One is it’s a super easy bike to wrench on, with SOOOO many parts/upgrades that can be done to it. So for people that love wrenching, it‘s a dream. Easy and cheap to work on. ( cheap relatively speak to $15k bike )

Two is that left stock it’s a super reliable scooter with a gear box and a great beginner bike.

While working on a bike is fun, when you move the Grom though to the higher HP category through mods it kinda becomes a requirement, and honestly I don’t want that requirement. I also don’t want a beginner bike.

Like I said earlier, while I have fun on the Grom. They day I took that Duke for a spin was magical. It was everything I want in a bike.

Its gonna be a bike I can buy and a side from a fender delete kit, tail rack and slip-on exhaust, I’m gonna be stoked on how it is from right off the showroom floor. It will be a blast on my daily commute to work and I can jump on the highway once in a while if needed, and I won’t be needing to try and find more power.

The “rumored” 490 could be okay, but from what I’ve gathered, it’s best with KTM to let them have their motors in production for a few years so all the kinks are worked out. So I’d be interested to see if it’s based on an existing motor or an all new build. Who knows, I’m gonna sell my Grom before I buy ( most likely) so maybe the info will be out about next years models by then. Another reason I like the 390 though is that it still gets 65ish MPG... I’m not cheap, but I am frugal 😉

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,501 Posts
It wasn't today, but I upgraded to an antigravity battery. Much lighter than stock and the motor spins over much faster, even with the Hi-comp piston. When I rode it after the install I noticed the Grom seemed slower than normal. I pulled up the Aracer app to check a few things and realized the Aracer reverts back to the stock base map when it loses power. Luckily, with my larger injector my map pulls fuel everywhere so the bike was just running really rich. If you are adding additional fuel and your battery dies or gets disconnected, your Grom could run dangerously lean. My map was still in the app, just had to be flashed to the ecu again. I just wanted to share as a heads up to others.

Reactions: grommyk and Tonitxu

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,501 Posts
Wow, how did it do? Looks like a little too deep for it.

·
Registered
959 Posts

Before.......

After....... Cause Ti hardware on your 9.xxHp bike is a MUST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instead of titanium hardware, I got a Kepspeed aluminum rear swing arm to drop some serious weight (4 pounds) . With the swing arm, lightweight alloy clip on bars, and a variety of other weight savers, my Grom weighs only 203 pounds. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just getting back to good weather here, went for a couple of solo rides last weekend. Debated selling the SF in anticipation of the new model coming this summer but have decided to keep it (I like the SF styling better). Might even pick up another new 2020 before they are gone.

Wife still hasn't made the leap to shifting/clutching yet. Maybe if I get the another one in a 'pretty' color she will get motivated :)
If not then at least I'll have a spare for friends or family when they come around.

Wishing everyone a great summer season.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,501 Posts
Ecoregion Map World Line Slope

@Hairless and I racked up 440 miles on our Groms today. Very scenic loop, great weather, and great food. 14 hours roundtrip, including lunches, gas stops, and window shopping.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
2020 Honda Grom
53 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ordered a 2pc tire breaker/spoon levers set for my new 140 Michelin rear that is on the way.

Rode the snot out of the SF around town after work. 💩

Also just finished an oil change and chain maintaince.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,501 Posts
I want to know what seat did you use cause I’m dying to find a better seat to ride long rides. 14hrs round trip sounds like a amazing ride.
I am currently using a cheap flat seat off of amazon, @Hairless is still on the stock seat. We both agree the stock seat is more comfortable than mine, but at least mine is flat. He used an airhawk seat pad for this trip. I have a seat concepts flat seat kit ordered.

Reactions: Mr.109sp
2881 - 2900 of 2945 Posts