Honda Grom banner

2881 - 2889 of 2889 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
The Duke 390 does sound like it will be a good choice for what you want. I don’t want a really big or really powerful bike. I’ve been looking for something on the lighter side that can be thrown around pretty easily. The Duke 390 has been on my short list for a while. The price is hard to beat. I think I’m going to wait though, and see what the new Duke 490 is like.

My fear is that it will be heavy and lose some of the flickability that the 390 has. If KTM could keep the weight low, the 490 might be something I would consider.

I really like the Grom and I plan to keep it, but it is definitely a money pit.

·
Registered
148 Posts
but it is definitely a money pit
For me, personally, I’m okay with the money pit part of it.

There‘s two ways I think to look at the Grom.

One is it’s a super easy bike to wrench on, with SOOOO many parts/upgrades that can be done to it. So for people that love wrenching, it‘s a dream. Easy and cheap to work on. ( cheap relatively speak to $15k bike )

Two is that left stock it’s a super reliable scooter with a gear box and a great beginner bike.

While working on a bike is fun, when you move the Grom though to the higher HP category through mods it kinda becomes a requirement, and honestly I don’t want that requirement. I also don’t want a beginner bike.

Like I said earlier, while I have fun on the Grom. They day I took that Duke for a spin was magical. It was everything I want in a bike.

Its gonna be a bike I can buy and a side from a fender delete kit, tail rack and slip-on exhaust, I’m gonna be stoked on how it is from right off the showroom floor. It will be a blast on my daily commute to work and I can jump on the highway once in a while if needed, and I won’t be needing to try and find more power.

The “rumored” 490 could be okay, but from what I’ve gathered, it’s best with KTM to let them have their motors in production for a few years so all the kinks are worked out. So I’d be interested to see if it’s based on an existing motor or an all new build. Who knows, I’m gonna sell my Grom before I buy ( most likely) so maybe the info will be out about next years models by then. Another reason I like the 390 though is that it still gets 65ish MPG... I’m not cheap, but I am frugal 😉

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have some I need to install the stock are trash and one of mine is stripped. What rotors, those are slick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2881 - 2889 of 2889 Posts