Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,339 Posts
Bike looks great. Time to buy a pretty, light, rear sprocket. Lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
So, Yoshimura ST-1M went in today.

Bike has 900 miles on it. Checked the valves before the cam swap and exhaust was in spec, intake though was .005, so a bit tight.

I’ve never done valves or a cam before, only motor work I’ve done was on 2-strokes in the 80s/90s. All my road bikes I’ve just had the maintenance done, so while not inexperienced mechanically, this was my first go with this procedure.

Went pretty damn smooth and was just as easy as the YouTube videos made it look.

There is more ticking though, with this cam. Nothing crazy, but it’s there more than before. Is that normal?

Also did an airbox mod today as well. Ordered another air box lid and then did this..

Airbox already has DHM mod with Koso tubes and high flow filter. With that already being done and already have tuned the bike with my Aracer, I was kinda underwhelmed on the test ride to let auto tune do it’s thing. It feels like it has a bit more midrange oomph, but it didn’t seem that noticeable, it for sure pulls longer now though, kissed the rev limiter for the first time ever. As stated only did a quick auto tune ride, when I ride it more tomorrow is when I’ll know, there is a pretty good hill that I ride up regularly so we’ll see how it pulls up that. I guess lots people do a tune/cam/ at the same time so they notice it a bit more.

Kitaco valve wrench made it pretty easy. It’s a nice little tool, well worth the money.

Gonna put on my 5 row Kitaco oil cooler tomorrow morning, then go for a good test ride. Will be interested to see how much that helps cool things. It’s been stupid hot here. 95+ everyday for the last 3 weeks and we had one stretch of 104+ for 4 days in a six day stretch of 100+, but according to the Aracer I’ve never gotten hotter than 222f. That’s in stop and go traffic and pulling hills to work for 10 miles at 3pm everyday on my way to work in the heat of the day.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Your intake valve was a little loose at .005 with the stock cam.

The ticking is normal. Aftermarket cams are typically noisier. Mine ticks some too. I don’t even notice anymore. It doesn’t sound like anything bad.

I’m running my valve clearances at .10mmIN/.12mmEX for the ST-2M cam. If I remember correctly, that translates to about .004IN and a little less than .005EX.

Yoshimura recommends .08mm-.12mm for both intake and exhaust for the ST-2M. If I cranked them both down to .08mm, I imagine some of the ticking might disappear, but it is probably better to run them a little more loose.

What did you set yours at?

I bought a set of valve wrenches from Webike. Agreed, they are well worth the money.

That sounds a lot like my cam. Low end is very similar to stock. As I’ve said before I feel like it lost nothing on the low end. Around 6000rpms it definitely starts having more oomph. At 9000 rpms you can really hear it start to scream. It then hits the 10,000rpm rev limiter real quick.

Hopefully, you will feel something more substantial when you get your BBK and head installed.

Ultimately, I think it is going to take an increase in displacement to get the kind of performance gains I’m looking for. I mean, if I left it just how it is, it is still a fun bike, but there are so many situations were a BBK would benefit the bike.

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Doubled down today.

Put on the Kitaco 5 row oil cooler. Damn it‘s a tight fit with the stock airbox. But it works.

Decided to put on my Kitaco Oil Catch Can at the same time as well.

I‘ve been trying to only do one thing at a time so if something is weird I’ll know what it is without question, but figured the catch can can’t really mess anything up.

Took it out for a spin.

STOKED.

It was 97 out, 20 mins of stop and go traffic, gets up to 190 and hovers between 190-185.

Jump on the expressway at 55mph, into a head wind, WOT for 4 miles.

Temp gets up to 205.

Turn back on to regular streets, 40-45 mph. Temp drops back down to 197 in under 2 minutes, then stays with in 5 degrees of that for the rest of the time in stop and go traffic. Creeps up to 202 at stop lights a few times, but as soon as I’m on the move, it drops back down to 197-198.

Stop at the store for less than 5 mins. Come back out, no oil on the concrete. STOKED.

Fire it back up, temp has already dropped 25 degrees in less than 5 mins. STOKED. The oil sitting in the cooler really cooled down quick. Before this, I’d have been lucky in 5 mins to have the temp drop 10 degrees in this summer heat.

Prior to this cooler, in this summer heat, 95-105 everyday, I’ve been running at about 220 after extended periods, and once it got there, it never went up more, but it would never go back down really, until I shut the motor off. Having it drop down even 5 degrees after sitting at a light and after getting off the expressway was super encouraging.

Hope when I get my BBK this will have no problems keeping the temps at or below 220.

Gonna order a line separator tonight to clean in up a bit look wise and to keep everything neat.

·
Registered
644 Posts
That sounds all good. It will be neat to compare the temps once the BBK is installed.

A trick I use to remove the upper tappet cover for adjustments, is to first remove the front airbox lid and filter, then I can reach the front bolt securing the oil cooler mount. I can then pivot the oil cooler to the side and reach the other tappet cover screw.

I run two Kitaco hose separators. They work great.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Removed the DB killer from the Hindle exhaust and ran a new auto tune with the Aracer to adapt the new flow.

Not too much louder without the killer insert, and the flow should improve without it.

Love the Aracer mini 5 and the ability to make changes to the engine/exhaust and be able to see how the auto tune handles the mod. Really fantastic device and use interface.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Interesting that you posted this. I was just watching videos of Hindle and Brock’s exhausts last night. Both with and without the dB killer.

I was also looking at the aRacer Mini 5 too. I’m at the point where I need the Mini 5/AF1 moving forward. Reflashing the ECU isn’t going to cut it anymore. If you could put the bike on Cameron’s dyno every time you made a change, it would be different, but that is not possible.

As your setup becomes more unique, the chances he will have an exact tune are increasingly unlikely.

I will pick up a stainless Hindle With carbon end cap. I like how the Brock’s Alien Head 2 is polished though. I think I can probably find a better price on the Hindle. The dB killer doesn’t sound all that effective, in videos anyway. Need to hear it in person, with and without.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
46 Posts
Installed a gcraft oil catch can plus gf vented cam here’s my setup bottom hose to oil cap return, 1 to gf vented cam, 1 to air intake and, 1 to crankcase breather. What do you guys think of this setup?

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
Installed a gcraft oil catch can plus gf vented cam here’s my setup bottom hose to oil cap return, 1 to gf vented cam, 1 to air intake and, 1 to crankcase breather. What do you guys think of this setup?
You removed your Endurance can? Were you having problems with not enough ventilation?

·
Registered
46 Posts
You removed your Endurance can? Were you having problems with not enough ventilation?
yeah, just thought id go another route wanted to do something different. i took it off there was no oil inside the endurance can so i guess it was working good, btw instead of using the clutch cover mount for it your better off mounting it where the charcoal canister is which i deleted. the bracket that it comes it with takes too much space

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do you have anymore feedback on the ST-1M? I bought that cam, but haven't installed it yet. I was hoping mainly for a boost in low and midrange power.
Disappointed, would be my take.

Honestly, I've had a change of heart on my Grom and I'm going to be selling it and getting another bike. It was fun for a summer/quarantine distraction, but I just feel that I want something that I have to tinker with less, and that has more power and is more comfortable to ride.

So, it's going up for sale and I'm getting a KTM Duke 390...

I have a complete DHM BBK with ported 27/23 head for sale if anyone is interested...

·
Registered
995 Posts

Honestly, I've had a change of heart on my Grom and I'm going to be selling it and getting another bike. It was fun for a summer/quarantine distraction, but I just feel that I want something that I have to tinker with less, and that has more power and is more comfortable to ride.

I have a complete DHM BBK with ported 27/23 head for sale if anyone is interested...
Interesting. Thanks for the input. I spoke to Cameron Jones and he said it’s still one of his favorite cams. Given his testing with most cams, I’m going to give it a shot.

Now to the KTM. That’s probably the last bike you want if you don’t want to tinker. That engine is notoriously problematic, high maintenance and unreliable. The proof is out there.

I think some people buy Groms for the wrong reason. It all depends on what you want. It’s an awesome bike for around town and tearing up back roads. I’ve never had more fun on tight and twisting roads than I do on my Grom. It’s not a long distance touring bike or a highway commuter. I’ve installed an intake, exhaust, fuel controller and lowered gearing. It’s still as reliable as stock, but with more punch and the ability to reach over 60MPH consistently. It’s the only bike I’ve ridden in the past two years except for one or two rides on my “big bike” last year. My big bike is 10 times larger in displacement and 10 times as powerful and that’s a problem for me. Speed gets me in trouble and makes for expensive rides.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I’m going to give it a shot.
The cam made a difference for sure, but still, it's just not enough.
Now to the KTM. That’s probably the last bike you want if you don’t want to tinker. That engine is notoriously problematic, high maintenance and unreliable. The proof is out there.
This is why I didn't buy one to begin with. BUT after riding a buddies about a month ago, it's everything I wish the Grom was. Still on the smaller side, still very, very light, upright seating, AND enough power to outrun everyone when doing lane filtering.

After really looking into them, it's what I want, and I found some info that I wish I had found before I got the Grom. The newer models don't have all the issues the early model ones did. Yes, the proof is out there, the first few years the 390 was around, there were some serious issues. I have talked to a lot of people though and it really seems after 2018 most of those issues have been solved. I feel comfortable buying a 2020 off the floor and not having a bad experience. My buddies bike is a 2019 and he already has 10k on it and all he has done to it is just the routine/scheduled maintenance. After I got on some Duke forums, his experience with the new versions of the 390 was pretty much in line with lots of other people. Could I run into issues? Sure, but I could also melt down my Grom trying to chase power, so I don't think it's anymore risky to buy a Duke than it is to try and build a BBK high HP Grom, in fact I feel its less risky because I won't do motor mods to the Duke and I'm going to get the extended warranty, so if shit goes sideways it will be covered.

In the end I don't mind maintenance. What I meant by tinker was a continuous chase for power that it seems like people with Groms are sometimes stuck in.

My big bike is 10 times larger in displacement and 10 times as powerful and that’s a problem for me. Speed gets me in trouble and makes for expensive rides.
I hear ya. In the past I had BWM GS1150 and Vstrom 1000... I don't want bikes that big anymore ( and the new wife is not into adventure touring ) but I want more get up and go than the Grom can provide.

In the end, I don't regret the Grom, it was a fun summer, but after I rode the Duke, I knew, that that bike is really what I want to be on.

YMMV

·
Registered
201 Posts

Did you ever install the head? Forgive me if you've answered that already, I just finished a 12 hour work day on 4 hours of sleep and I'm exhausted. Lol, and what price were you thinking on the head.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Did you ever install the head?
No, I didn't install it.

BUT, I want to sell it and the BKK together.

Honestly, it needs to go together, because the piston is machined with relief for the valves, and if you look at DHMs website, the 27/23 head will only work with his piston or Koso 170 pistons.

So for the whole kit I paid $800..

I'd let it go for $650

It's a 153cc, 13.1:1 compression, forged piston, w/ 27/23 ported head with all the goodies...

·
Registered
407 Posts

Wow. Best of luck with the sale and I for one will miss your contributions in the forum. Bummer man!

Revzilla had a good piece posted:

2861 - 2880 of 2917 Posts