Honda Grom banner

2841 - 2849 of 2848 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts

Did a lot today.

Today was the first oil change, at 630 miles. Quite a bit of debris in the oil and in the screen. Glad to have a real filter now. Will probably only give it 200 miles, then do another oil change and pop the cover off to check the screen again.

With the new oil came a new oil system.

Kitaco Clutch cover.
Magnetic Oil Drain Plug
30% stiffer clutch springs
Chimera Billet Clutch Plate

Takegawa 4th Bearing
Drilled the oil hole mod for the 4th bearing
Takegawa Cam Chain Tensioner Arm
Kitaco Duracon Cam Chain Tensioner Cap

Tomorrow gonna go for:
Kitaco 5 Row Oil Cooler
Kitaco Oil Catch Can

·
Registered
603 Posts
I would say no need to pull the cover again at only 200 more miles, the screen will be nearly spotless at even 1000 more miles. All you seen was from the initial break in, which is why a good first service is so important.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I would say no need to pull the cover again at only 200 more miles, the screen will be nearly spotless at even 1000 more miles. All you seen was from the initial break in, which is why a good first service is so important.
Agreed, I'd go as far as to say it will be nearly spotless at even 10000 miles more, that is if everything inside the engine is ok of course.
As for the ''real filter'', there is nothing wrong with the centrifugal filter, some might find it more convenient but that's it really (appart from the supposed added performance). There's no proof the paper filter will do a better job, if anything I wouldn't be surprised if the centrifugal filter performed better.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Agreed, I'd go as far as to say it will be nearly spotless at even 10000 miles more, that is if everything inside the engine is ok of course.
As for the ''real filter'', there is nothing wrong with the centrifugal filter, some might find it more convenient but that's it really (appart from the supposed added performance). There's no proof the paper filter will do a better job, if anything I wouldn't be surprised if the centrifugal filter performed better.
I agree the centrifugal filter works fine, I was amazed at the crud in it at my 500 mile oil change. However, I do not think it would catch the rubber pieces from the cam chain tensioner if you had one of those start to fail. I would highly recommend the kitaco or takegawa cover to someone interested in a little extra insurance. It was the very first part I ordered for my Grom because I anticipated high mileage in my future.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Racing Bros Fork kit went in on Saturday!

Much better... Although, maybe a tad stiffer than I want.. I could see myself in a while, once everything else is done, gabbing some .60 springs to put in.

Grabbing a handfull of front break no longer bottoms out the forks... lol

Have a matching Racing Bros shock to put on as well. Just waiting on getting the spring back from the powder coating place.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Monkey rearsets. V2.0

So my first attempt at swapping out to Monkey rearsets to go all Black, was not a success.

Got on here, made a post and then was directed to tooter's grom thread and how he was able to make them work.

Ordered the Monkey break pedal, a second right spring, and bought some 12mm cut washers.

Before

After.

This time it worked out. Looks much better and can use the brake now.

I will say though, that I still wouldn't call it a perfect fit, but it's close and for sure usable. Down the road when everything else is done, I may look into made for the Grom aftermarket rearsets, but they're expensive and I've got other things much more important to me right now for the bike.

2841 - 2849 of 2848 Posts