Honda Grom banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, I've decided to go with ECU reflash from CJR. I decided to do so for a couple reasons, primarily rpm limiter and cold start. It's my wife's bike and I don't want her to have any sort of finickiness with starting in colder weather. I can manage that but I don't want to set her up with anything that could lead to frustration. The RPM limiter - my Duke 390 is setup GP shift and I want the protection for possible mis-shifts.

I've also decided to do aftermarket intake (MNNTHBX Mtake) and TB cam, so will get a flash setup for those specifically as well. :cool2:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but coming from car world with MTs, all cars have rpm limits to prevent over-revs but this does not mitigate against mis-shift or 'money shifts' if you shift from like 6th into 2nd going 80mph, for example. How is this different on a Grom or moto in general? Has anyone confirmed that with rev limit on Grom that if you mis-shift or money shift from 4th into 1st going 40mph+ will prevent it going past 9200rpm? This seems highly implausible as gearboxes physically will go past the rev limit if engaged past certain mph (ie: scenario outlined above). I know for a fact that in cars the rev limit does nothing if you mis-shift at speed, even in modern cars (as long as it is a real MT with a physical clutch).

Also relative to cold start - Yuminashi ECU has cold start condition programmed to make it run a bit rich at startup so it does not stall unlike the Finbro. It's not the same as factory cold start but from what I gather - it really is a non issue unlike the Finbro.

·
Registered
278 Posts
However unlikely, in this hypothetical I think it would hit the rev limiter and make the back wheel hop/skid until the bike slowed down to the max 1st gear speed. It probably won't be good for the transmission, sprockets, chain, etc. but I don't think it'll exceed the rev limiter. That's just a guess though, I've never done it and never want to.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm hoping the ignition cuts out when I downshift from 3-2 instead upshift 3-4... Better than no limiter I expect. I will do the gp shift conversion asap, swapping to heim / rose joints in the process :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can still over rev an engine when downshifting too many gears, etc. The REV limiter is a software limiter that cuts fueling during accelaration.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts on this matter. As such - I do not think the lack of a rev limit = increased risk over-revving due to 'mis-shifting'. Of course, there is increased risk of going past 9200rpm during spirited acceleration runs. Maybe can install a racing style shift light... heh

81 - 86 of 86 Posts