Honda Grom banner

The new Grom is calling to me.

3K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Rass901 
#1 ·
I commute to work on a Ninja 650, weather permitting. I don't expect the Grom to replace the Ninja, but I'm in the market for a new toy and for some reason the Grom is calling to me. For those of you that have a bigger bike, how often do you find yourself on the Grom?

#4 ·
I have a '22 Grom, the Ninja 650, and a Speed Triple 1200 ... the Grom is a different bike. It's great for around town, and it doesn't get hot. I use the Ninja for freeway commuting or some occasional short weekend twisties. Speed is for shouting holy shit inside my helmet but it's a lot of bike, runs hot, tall 1st gear, tall seat, low mpg, risk of tickets, all that big bike stuff. Try -1/+1 sprockets on your Ninja 650 if you want a sleeper stop light hole shot monster. I was hoping to bbk (big bore kit) mod the Grom next year from 8whp to 12.

#5 ·
I have a Ducati Multistrada 1200, Yamaha Tracer 900GT, and now 2022 Grom. If I'm not getting on the freeway to my destination, I'm taking the Grom.. it's a hoot to ride! It easily keeps up with and gets ahead of city traffic. Of course, it doesn't have the big motorcycle advantage of my over 100hp bikes but it's a lot of fun to ride.

#7 ·
R6 and Hypermotard 950.

I ride the Grom more than any of those bikes, but only on a local twisty route. The Grom sucks if you try to use it like an R6 or a Hypermotard. Super fun in the right environment. Worthless and painful in the wrong environment.

Same applies to the bigger bikes.

#8 ·
I was peer pressured into getting a Grom I had have a RnineT, Bimota DB9 SP, KTM 790 Duke, 701 Vitpilen.
So now I just replaced my 4sp 2017 Grom with a 2020 Grom and a 4sp Monkey.
The Grom is so lovable, it’s fun, infinitely customisable and makes you laugh out loud. Mine has already been modded with Öhlins front and rear, Vammos exhaust (sounds great and awesome value for money), indicators, tail tidy and Mitas tyres.
The only question when deciding on a Grom is the colour.

#9 ·
When I got my Monkey I looked for every excuse to ride it over the other bikes.

Funny how that works. It made me reevaluate motorcycling. Wish a manufacturer would kit out a tiny bike with 30hp and all the fixings and I may not ride bigger bikes anymore!

#10 ·
I'm seriously considering getting the CRF 300L for exactly that reason. Stick some supermoto tires on it, and you have insta-30HP fun. I just don't think it's quite the looker the Monkey is, and that's the only reason I'm (probably) going to hold off until next year. Wife is going to murder me in my sleep if I get a 3rd bike - hell she still wants me to get rid of one of the two I have... =P

#14 · (Edited)
Gotta wonder if those Daytona motors are for sale and if they'll fit into a Monkey? (wink, wink... Chili)

FYI - they are for sale here: Daytona 150cc and 190cc Engines - Daytona Engines - Engines - TBolt USA, LLC

Also.. I have never been so happy to be so wrong! I CAN register an off road bike so long as I add all of the safety gear (lights/turn signals/etc... ,pay a fee for the correct forms, and have it pass state inspection. I might be selling my Monkey to fund buying an Ohvale... Just gotta find somewhere selling the GP-2 version...

#24 ·
I sold my '22 Grom after 9 weeks, wasn't quite what I was looking for. When I get to ride, I prefer to head out of the city. I found myself wanting to toodle around on the Speed Triple 1200. It doesn't overheat like the Aprilia, and is more road friendly than the RSV4/Tuono. Though the 765 is probably the better choice, it's more fun in some ways. But holy sh!t that torque from the 1200. But I digress ...

#21 ·
I think you are only going to get a positive answer on this forum
My advice would be sell your Ninja buy the Grom.
A Grom is probably the best commuter bike especially if in your commute you don’t have to travel faster than 80km/h (50 mph) you will find you won’t ride any other bikes. I was peered grouped pressured into buying a Grom and in my collection I have a Bimota DB8, KTM 790 Duke, BMW RnineT. Of All my bikes I bought the KTM to do the commute work on it’s a great bike comfortable a good all rounder and will keep up with anything fast on the open roads it’s all the bike you need.
i commute on the Grom though. It’s because it turns commute speeds into the excitement of riding big bikes fast. You need to be in the right gear, you have to corner precisely to keep your road speed all the things about riding that makes it fun you do commuting.
So why sell the ninja well though, a 650 ninja is a good bike and I’m sure you love it the Grom allows you to buy something special for special rides. When I go “for a ride” I don’t take the Grom I take one of my special bikes KTM for two up, BMW for a leisurely ride or the Bimota if I want to challenge myself.
Thats what a Grom will do for you think of the bike you’ve always wanted and not have to compromise because you need to commute on it.
More importantly you'll still get to have fun commuting around the place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.