Honda Grom banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
The question is what springs to use.

Stiffer springs interfere with the slipping function, but provide a better performance with a BBK and upgraded clutch pack.

I may mix 60% stiffer spring with stock springs for a 30% or so increase.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Instructions for the slipper clutch indicate it was designed for OEM plates and springs, but Hard Racing says many folks use stiffer springs, while the forums indicate stiffer springs degrade the slip performance.

The components are worth the $ just for the well built basket and 3 added spring plate bolts. That being said, I'm running 60% stiffer springs and a 6 disc clutch set, and that has significantly reduced the slipper function compared to the Barnett kit I ran. It does let the tension off, but I can still overrev it or chirp the tire if I bang down gears with total disregard.

I've beat on my SMR 6 disc with Take slipper clutch, it feels almost like a big bike clutch with the Kitaco 60% springs. No problems with 204 4v power and clutch up wheelies. I'm finally happy with my clutch setup, although for smaller engines maybe using 3 of the 6 springs would be ideal as it negated a lot of the slipper clutch function- I can get rear tire chatter and over revs if I bang down the shifter with abandon.

Also, make sure you give the new clutch plates a long soak before install.

·
Registered
3 Posts
StraightUpPumps makes 6 bolt pressure plate too, which I’m using.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
StraightUpPumps makes 6 bolt pressure plate too, which I’m using.

I was going to go that route but their website says they are running 4 to 5 weeks on orders. I ended up ordering a stock replacement with the 3 bolts and am just going to tap it myself.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Also ordered the 6 hole chimera cnc lifter plate to try with the Takagawa slipper clutch pressure plate that has 6 threaded holes, instead of their kit cast plate, but It may be too thick to work. We shall see.
Compared stock plate to takegawa 6hole plate.
That's going to be a no go...
IMG_20200509_190448.jpg IMG_20200509_190505.jpg IMG_20200509_190528.jpg IMG_20200509_190259.jpg IMG_20200509_190319.jpg

21 - 27 of 27 Posts