Honda Grom banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been running the Takegawa slipper clutch on my NEO 181 with SMR 6 plate clutch pack and 60% stiffer rings.

Started slipping under load, not adjustment related, so figured I would just replace the clutch pack and go to 80% stiffer springs.

Discovered the clutch pressure plate had a cracked mounting peg.

Installed a modified stock pressure plate with 6 holes tapped for bolts, chimera 6 hole pressure plate lifter, fresh 6 disk clutch pack, and 80% tighter springs.

MODIFIED (6 BOLT) GENUINE HONDA OEM CLUTCH PRESSURE PLATE - HONDA GROM 125 (2014-2020)​
Sex Machine Racing 6pc Clutch Spring 80% Stiffer Upgrade Honda Grom Monkey 125 (ALL YEARS)​

Wish they made an billet heavy duty pressure plate with 6 threaded pegs. Do they?

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Cylinder Rim

·
Registered
398 Posts
Not the 1st time I have seen this. Do you loctite & torque the bolts?

I also would be interested in a better pressure plate, definitely a weak link in the motor...... Been lucky with mine so far, but I am only running EBC springs in it. Sill have not tapped the 3 extra holes yet either.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not the 1st time I have seen this. Do you loctite & torque the bolts?

I also would be interested in a better pressure plate...... Been lucky with mine so far, but I am only running EBC springs in it. Sill have not tapped the 3 extra holes yet either.
No thread lock, and I use a torque wrench to 12nm per manual. I don't break those pegs by over torqueing during install.

Surprised there is no aftermarket billet option.

I consider it a disposable item. Change it every clutch plate swap. Inexpensive enough, and too fragile to be trusted for more than one install.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Easy to just get a 6m Tap and 13/64 tap kit (Dewalt branded pkg) at a good hardware store (or the individual bits) some tap fluid extra 6mm bolts and do it yourself.....Honda left you the untapped centering holes to do this!

Best to do this going to the heavier spring as it is so that you have equal centering pressure over each spring,
and it makes for a stronger clutch as well as a result.

However I would not go to Honda Spec Torque for the heavier spring.....
I back it off to 8-9 Mm should be plenty to hold everything in place by letting the heavier spring tension work for you as well!

Pard is right to change the base plate as well as it wears somewhat a billet is not a good idea here, Honda Parts are reasonably priced as well.

Here is a link to GromBeardo showing how to do this mod

1 - 4 of 4 Posts