Honda Grom banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using the Takegawa slipper clutch with the SMR disc and plate kit (with a Kitaco right-side cover). After install, I'm having to back out both the lower and upper clutch cable adjusters to disengage the clutch. Anyone else noticed weird tolerance issues like this?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I had the same setup with stock plates and it was all fine, nothing special on the adjustment that I can remember. I'd say it's either coming from the SMR stuff or the slipper install. I did triple check it with google translate to make sure everything went on the right way. Maybe try with stock plates?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't have the slipper clutch, but after installing SMR 6 disc clutch kit I had to adjust the lower end of the cable quite a bit. I still have some adjustment left but not much.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had your same setup, SMR clutch with slipper clutch, kitaco cover. I can confirm you need to have the nut adjusted almost all the way out for it to work (fully tight). Mine had half a thread left until end of adjustment.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swapped the slipper for the stock clutch housing and everything is back to normal. I was able to make the setup work with the stock cable at it's extreme limits on both ends... but I've switched to a Magura clutch lever and unfortunately it doesn't have enough adjustment to work.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Installed the Takegawa slipper clutch in my Grom today.

Straight forward install. Watch this video for very clear directions.

Indeed, the cable on the clutch needs to be significantly adjusted, so much so that the entire length of the lower adjuster needs to be backed out. I even had to remove the larger adjuster nut, the one close to the end of the cable in order to get enough adjustment.

I took a short test ride and it works very well. I used a new SMR heavy duty clutch pack and SMR 60% stiffer springs. I always rev match downshifts, but there is a definite improve operation with the slipper. Smoother feel in downshifting.

I found it really hard to find neutral or even shifting out of first gear at all without the bike rolling. Not something I had difficulty with before. Not sure what that is all about. Any ideas?

Full review and impressions after a more complete test ride.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The shifting into nuetral will improve after you get a couple of thousand miles on the clutches. I had to either be rolling or shut off the bike at first. Much easier now, still overshoot it sometimes though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The shifting into nuetral will improve after you get a couple of thousand miles on the clutches. I had to either be rolling or shut off the bike at first. Much easier now, still overshoot it sometimes though.
I removed the Takegawa slipper clutch and reinstalled the stock setup with SMR 60% springs and SMR heavy duty plates. The diminished ability to find neutral with the Takegawa made the ride a PITA. I also found it difficult to maintain an idle setting that was in range when in neutral and when in gear with clutch pulled in such as at a stop.

I think the slipper need stock OEM plates and springs to really work well, which is exactly what the manufacturer says in the documentation. Go figure! :)

I may come back to the slipper at some point, and try it with stock plates and springs. Bummer, because I did like the other aspects of it's performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts