Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just installed a Takegawa exhaust, and the note (especially at idle) sounds much better, deeper, etc. However, took it out on it's first ride, and there is a noticeable loss of low end torque. Cranking it high into the rpm range i'm not noticing any gains at all in upper rpms. So what is the point of this exhaust? Like many other bikes where restriction is removed in the exhaust system, this followed suit with a loss of power. I guess this is only beneficial then if you free flow the whole system and ECM flash/upgrade, big bore, etc? Not happy and will not keep it on for the sound whilst losing power.

·
Super Moderator
871 Posts
More air out, but same amount of air going in, is going to make your bike deviate from how it runs from the factory (not in a good way usually).

You may not have to go all out BBK/tuner to notice gains, but you will have to do more than just slap a freer flowing exhaust on and hope it makes more power without doing anything else. Some people want the bike to be louder, so maybe that is a "gain" to some.

Its a 125cc single after all...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly. I guess I'll put stock back on until I've ridden this a summer or two and get bored with the stock power. For now, the nice improvement in sound is not worth the losses, as stated above. And yes, not expecting a lot, but also wasn't expecting a loss.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just installed the Takegawa STD exhaust. The #1 reason was to get ground clearance and shave off a few pounds. Didn't expect any performance gains and didn't get any.
The bike seems to run the same. I think the ECU can learn and compensate for the extra airflow with the Exhaust mod only. Has a better tone and a touch louder, nice OEM look as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also tried this exhaust and ended up removing it. I don’t need the clearance and it was louder. I’m not sure where this fits in. It isn’t going to work well on the 180 builds so I guess it’s best for a 140 build and that’s it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you all do an ECM reset after installing exhaust? I haven't read that you need to do that, but maybe that is why I'm seeing a loss in low RPM?

·
Registered
32 Posts
No, I didn't reset the ECU, it should be able to learn with the exhaust mod only. But since your having issues it couldn't hurt to give it a try. Maybe drive it for 50 miles or so and see if it improves.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also dissatisfied with the Takegawa and would just like to keep the bend, someone has already tried whether that would fit? (Flexing and welding)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well just took the Monkey back out for a rip today with the stock exhaust back on, and without any other mods, def results in more power across the band. For those that say they don't see a difference, I just don't understand. Either you didn't log as many miles on the stock before switching to the Takegawa, or I don't know what. It's very obvious to me, and I've only put about 400 mi on my Monkey.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To update, this was bothering me, so I put the Takegawa exhaust back on, and did an ECU reset. That seems to have been the issue. Just had it out for a 10mi ride, and after being slightly sluggish at the very start (as expected), the ECU appears to be 'learning' and it now feels like it did stock, maybe slightly more power throughout. I'm assuming this will improve over the next 20 or so mi, so I'll update again if major differences are noticed, but as of now, it appears the ECU reset was the ticket in my situation.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice, good to hear the ECU reset did the trick. Like i said, on mine I didn't notice any difference. However, i am planning on getting the Koso Hurricane Air Filter and the CJR Stage 1.0 ECU Flash
for a little bit of a tune. I'd like to do the Intake Mod but don't want the extra noise. Glad yours worked out !

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool. Wondering though, for what looks like only $50'ish more for an aftermarket intake, you go from about 10hp max to 12. If you're getting a flash anyway, wouldn't it be worth an aftermarket intake?

·
Registered
32 Posts
yea, i would just sounds like the Intake Mod is a bit loud from the Videos I've watched...If i change my mind i can always send the ECU back in to CJR and they can update the flash

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm, interesting. I can't hear nearly as much as I could before with the stock exhaust, so I'm not sure I would even hear an intake. I'll have to try and see a video.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The intake mod sounds like a second exhaust from up front. While is adds performance that is noticeable it was so annoying on a long ride that I took it off the next day. The best mod for me was adding a 37 tooth rear sprocket. It takes care of the over geared issue but dropped my gas mileage to around 110 mpg. I’m almost back to stock. Still have the Tb cam and CJR self tuning ecm. The cam may go next. Big loss of low rpm torque. I think my gearing will compensate fine in higher rpms and the stock cam.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cool...so whats the difference between to Self Mapping Ecu Flash and the other ECU Flash stage 1.0, 2.0 , 3.0 etc. that CJR sells ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And you think it's loud because the intake is pointed directly up, with nothing covering it, and you just get all of the combustion noise right out the snorkel?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts