Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While out on a longer ride this week I realized how weak the stock suspension is, especially in the rear. I'm 175 without gear, and I found potholes to really upset the balance of the bike, especially while cornering. Didn't have any tank slappers, but I started watching out for and trying to avoid bigger bumps. The front could stand to be improved as well, but I didn't have the bottoming out issue that I had in the rear. I took the bike off road as well and will probably continue to do so, so I don't think I want something super stiff.

The range of upgrades for shocks seem to be:

YSS (adjustable + reservoir) - Starts at $180 - I am not familiar with YSS. Some forums seem to like them, but they are inexpensive and the ebay listings seem a little on the sketchy side. Their website sucks.
MNNTHBX - $450 - Adjustable for preload / length, but not damping. Seems expensive for what you get.
Ohlins $750 - Fully adjustable. Assumed to be good as Ohlins does not make junk. Unsure if they're overpriced.

Forks are pretty limited. Ohlins makes a cartridge setup for $275. I don't see anything else available right now. Anyone else upgrade their suspension and found something that works well?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd prefer something silver, actually, but I also have Ohlins on my red Thruxton R. It's not what I prefer, but I'd be willing to go yellow. It would go with the banana keychain.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have ohlins and admittedly, it's more for bling than anything else. They work well enough. I have ridden a grom with a YSS shock and it felt good. I think the limiting factor for pot holes and the like are your wheels.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fohlins Rear, Ohlins Front springs with heavier weight oil. Under 400$ total for a very good setup.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Very highly praised by everyone on the facebook groups. Guy name Vinny takes the shock and machines it for a perfect fit. It has the same specs as Ohlins. Everyone around me has them while i have Ohlins. I cannot tell the difference when riding. I would recommend it if you are trying to save money.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You mention "shock" as if it is singular like the Grom, but the Monkey has two rear shocks.

I ordered a pair of Ohlins rear shocks from Revzilla on Friday morning. Hopefully they ship soon. I went out on a ride this Sunday and bottomed out the rear a few times on some relatively mild bumps. I wonder what the target rider weight is for this bike. I'm not exactly a lightweight @ 175 without gear, but I'm not too far off the average North American weight either.

I wonder what the recommended sag is on this bike. I have a tool to measure it, but this is not a sportbike so the regular rules may not apply.

·
Registered
139 Posts
DOh, My bad, did not see this was monkey talk :p Fohlins is only for the grom for now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Ohlins came yesterday. That was fast! I didn't expect them until next week.

I put them on and took a short ride. The difference is immediately obvious with less squat and a firmer, but not uncomfortable ride. I sped into a parking lot and hit the sloped apron. It was the front that bottomed out this time. The back felt fine. I thought the front was a little spongy, but I didn't think I'd been bottoming out. Hopefully the Ohlins fork cartridges come back in stock soon.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Actually for my 180lbs the monkey rides super nice even on dirt roads? They must have changed the forks from my 2015 from which bottomed out hard just stopping. I was lighter weight back then too. Maybe they are using higher quality oil?

With my grom I did the racing bros fork cartridges which were adjustable. Unfortunately they ended up simply maxed out 99% of the time on that grom (firmest with most dampening). I liked them for the price at the time (179$) but I think non adjustable onlins forks might be the best bet. Plus they add additional travel by a .5"or so IRC.

Yss has some red adjustable (fully) shocks but man are they spendy for the pair (400ish). They look crazy good tho.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My Ohlins came yesterday. That was fast! I didn't expect them until next week.

I put them on and took a short ride. The difference is immediately obvious with less squat and a firmer, but not uncomfortable ride. I sped into a parking lot and hit the sloped apron. It was the front that bottomed out this time. The back felt fine. I thought the front was a little spongy, but I didn't think I'd been bottoming out. Hopefully the Ohlins fork cartridges come back in stock soon.
"back in stock soon" ?? Are they different from the Grom kits, of which there's plenty available on ebay.......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohlins-FDK-111-Fork-Damping-Kit/333150967340?epid=239043562&hash=item4d9158562c:g:yV4AAOSwW75crUji

·
Registered
790 Posts
Very highly praised by everyone on the facebook groups. Guy name Vinny takes the shock and machines it for a perfect fit. It has the same specs as Ohlins. Everyone around me has them while i have Ohlins. I cannot tell the difference when riding. I would recommend it if you are trying to save money.
Do you have a link for this machined Fohlins?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bumping to see if anyone has feedback on the YSS shocks? They seem like a good deal for the price. Unfortunately Ohlins are out of my budget for now thanks to some unexpected medical bills.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts