Honda Grom banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the Superlite 14T countershaft sprocket, Superlite 34T rear sprocket and a DID 420 NZ3 chain. The Superlite front sprocket is quite a bit thinner than the stock sprocket. Even with the two sprocket bolts torqued to factory specs the countershaft sprocket has a ton of play as you can see in the video below. I can even hear the sprocket vibrating when taking off and coming to a stop.

It's been so long since I changed sprockets on anything that I don't remember ever having this issue.

How do I rectify this?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Washers?

Note to self, I won't buy either of those brands when I replace my sprockets

·
Registered
726 Posts
The stock honda sprocket does the same thing. I think all my old dirt bikes were the same. I believe sportbikes were the only bikes where the front sprocket had no slop (its been a long time, can't remember).

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stock honda sprocket does the same thing. I think all my old dirt bikes were the same. I believe sportbikes were the only bikes where the front sprocket had no slop (its been a long time, can't remember).
I've never had enough slop in a sprocket to the point where I was able to hear noticeable vibrations.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My Grom front sprocket moves just as much what's shown in your video. All I can say is it seems fine so far. Sorry, not much comfort there. Hopefully more people can chime in!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just confirmed this myself. Bit surprised though. It's not as much as seen above but there's definitely play...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its by design. You are fine.
It's not fine to me. I now have an annoying sound from the vibration of the sprocket when gaining speed and when slowing. I've never before experienced that on any motorcycle or quad.

Just confirmed this myself. Bit surprised though. It's not as much as seen above but there's definitely play...
Interesting. I may contact Superlite. The little bit of play doesn't bother me. It's the new vibration sounds that I don't like.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
we've been riding these groms since 2014 or at least I have, so when you or newbies come here for advice either do your own research or go to the horses mouth which is Honda MC dealer and ask them direct.

Most of the early grom owners know that this Front sprocket has a little slop but if you want it a little more snug than fab your own plate and holder and come back with a pic of your design and show proof your system is better than Honda engineers system.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we've been riding these groms since 2014 or at lease I have, so when you or newbies come here for advice either do your own research or go to the horses mouth which is Honda MC dealer and ask them direct.

Most of the early grom owners know that this Front sprocket has a little slop but if you want it a little more snug than fab your own plate and holder and come back with a pic of your design and show proof your system is better than Honda engineers system.
I'm new to the Grom. I've been in the power sports game since I was three when I started riding go karts. I've never experienced this before. Again, a little play is fine, but the vibrations are not. I need to figure out a way to record the sounds.

I don't believe half of what dealers tell me either.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've got Superlite sprockets and haven't had any issues. Where did you order the sprockets?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
It's not fine to me. I now have an annoying sound from the vibration of the sprocket when gaining speed and when slowing. I've never before experienced that on any motorcycle or quad.

Interesting. I may contact Superlite. The little bit of play doesn't bother me. It's the new vibration sounds that I don't like.

I can just about guarantee that your vibrations / sound is from an improperly aligned / adjusted chain.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got Superlite sprockets and haven't had any issues. Where did you order the sprockets?
Sprocket Center

I can just about guarantee that your vibrations / sound is from an improperly aligned / adjusted chain.
I double checked that using the lines on the NDC adjusters and using the Motion Pro chain alignment tool.

·
Registered
151 Posts
we've been riding these groms since 2014 or at lease I have, so when you or newbies come here for advice either do your own research or go to the horses mouth which is Honda MC dealer and ask them direct.

I'm new to the Grom. I've been in the power sports game since I was three when I started riding go karts. I've never experienced this before. Again, a little play is fine, but the vibrations are not. I need to figure out a way to record the sounds.

I don't believe half of what dealers tell me either.
”Riding” go karts. Never heard it stated like that in the “power sports game”, maybe you ride karts in a culdesac, but normally they’re piloted, driven, raced... I’m doubting your veracity. Listen to Cisco, btw. And research a little please. We have a search option.

If you only believe half of what your dealer says, how can you operate? I’ve found bikes are sold VERY differently than anything else. The sales guys ride, simple. The price is almost fixed. Just research what they will delete; shipping, prep and assembly... Then cultivate personal relationships with the service guys. The old $20 handshake has always worked well. All of a sudden, your bike gets worked on while it’s hot and your service bill is cheaper.

Oh, and the thing about recording the sounds almost made me choke on my drink. Still chuckling.

Please keep posting. We’re here for you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Have you tried calling Sprocket Center? I've been buying my SuperLite sprockets from them since I had a 919 and have never had an issue. Is the vibration still there when you're off the throttle with the clutch in?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Have you tried calling Sprocket Center? I've been buying my SuperLite sprockets from them since I had a 919 and have never had an issue. Is the vibration still there when you're off the throttle with the clutch in?

919 ftw! Love my 04.... i dont think ill ever be able to sell it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited by Moderator)
”Riding” go karts. Never heard it stated like that in the “power sports game”, maybe you ride karts in a culdesac, but normally they’re piloted, driven, raced... I’m doubting your veracity. Listen to Cisco, btw. And research a little please. We have a search option.
I never said I raced go karts, did I? But you are basically calling me out and questioning my aptitude, my honesty and my integrity.

·
Super Moderator
99 Posts
Moderator's note: The contents of this thread have been edited. As a reminder, personal attacks and vulgarity will NOT be tolerated on this forum. Please keep it civilized.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts