Honda Grom banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Grom in Disguise
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please move if you don’t want this here!
figured this would be a better spot than the Monkey or Grom sections.

Fleshing out this idea a bit more. After commuting on the bike quite a bit over the past couple of weeks since getting it I have decided that this bike is a great candidate to make something really fun out of. It’s zippy, nimble, and crazy light feeling. I didn’t realize that the bike truly is more or less a Grom with big wheels weight wise, as well. It does have its shortcomings, however. My biggest gripe right now is that it’s an absolute dog on takeoff. I can feel the bike take a second or two to change from slipping the clutch to get going to engaging the clutch and revving through first gear. Given the limiting factor (power) the trail cub’s slightly lower gearing really is this auto clutch’s bread and butter. Then again, my background is dirtbikes, specifically trail bikes with crawl-at-idle first gears, and this is my first street only bike. Regardless I’m very tempted to go up one tooth in the rear. The bike can almost hold 50 on a hill, and my biggest fear in changing gearing is loosing that. So, my next consideration is power. And after doing research, I’ve determined that I’m too broke to go with a big bore super head kit plus tuning plus tuning hardware plus exhaust plus…Ahhhhh. I would also like to add that the mini community (think Z50, CT70, etc.) has really spoiled me in terms of aftermarket part availability. I understand from a business perspective why WeBike only has like 7 aftermarket exhausts for this bike, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it😤.

So I went on eBay and bought the cheapest stainless Grom head pipe I could find, just as any sensible person would do. Surprise surprise the first part I buy is something to hope fully make me go faster in the end. I’ve read time and time again how little things like opening up the exhaust or intake really wake up these bikes, and I’m hoping that gives me the chutzpah I need to make more better zoomie up hill speedy like. Back to that pipe. Like I said, cheapest Grom pipe I could find. I’m guessing it will take some persuading to fit onto the Cub with the stock foot pegs but that’s why I got the cheapest pipe I could find; best case scenario It’s a stepping-off point, and worst case scenario I have some stainless I could use to pie cut for something ridiculous. If that ends up working, I’ll step through to working on the chassis/suspension/brakes

Goals (as of 9/10/21):

Chutzpah
^how?
^custom pipe?

Look into stiffening front forks

Swap pegs for Grom/Monkey rearsets

Stay 125cc

Keep center stand

Keep silhouette the same

Seat position?

Rear disc brake conversion?
^turn down bent Grom wheel?

So yeah. And I’m like 90% sure I took my stuff today so this should all be pretty coherent. But yeah. It’s crackhead hour anyways so who’s to say?! I wish I could throw copious amounts off money at things like this. Maybe I’ll sell that CT70…

Anyways. See ya!

Reactions: R0B

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
968 Posts
Exhaust issues: drum rear brake pedal will be in the way.

I had the Moriwaki megaphone in stainless on mine and it ran great. Little more noise, little freer revving/more responsive.

·
Registered
Grom in Disguise
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Annnnnddddd….. we’re off!
Water Cylinder Gas Machine Nickel

…?
Hand Automotive tire Gesture Finger Wood

…!
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

wooowwww it’s a bag holder thingie. Greaaaaat. Good practice on the lathe. Reamers are wonderful. Pipe arrived today, but I haven’t gotten to it yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts