Honda Grom banner
221 - 234 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
I'm leaving the old clutch set in. I see there are sets that have more like 5 or 6 to a set. Don't know if that is something I should change.
I have the Takegawa slipper clutch with Barnett Clutch and Springs, regular 5 disc kit. Never an issue with clutch slip although slipper clutches put more pressure to the plates as they are being driven due to the ramps on the slipper unit.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
I run a cr9eh9 in mine, but I've got more compression than the standard kit and a cam that loves high revs

Sent from my Atom_XL using Tapatalk
I went with same heat range as the Takegawa supplied plus.

Yours is regular electrode?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Yeah regular electrode. I can replace the plug 5 times for the same price as an iridium, so whats the point
I usually switch to iridium and as long as it isn't my Ford Ecoboost, I rarely have to change sparkplugs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anyone know if this will work with my setup as for clutches. SMR Sex Machine Racing 6 Disc Clutch Plate Kit '19-'21 Honda Monkey 125. I have the all brand Takegawa 181cc superhead 4v axis n 5 speed kit n oil cover n Slipper clutch. Is it best to go with a 6 or 5 clutch set?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
181 Posts
Anyone know if this will work with my setup as for clutches. SMR Sex Machine Racing 6 Disc Clutch Plate Kit '19-'21 Honda Monkey 125. I have the all brand Takegawa 181cc superhead 4v axis n 5 speed kit n oil cover n Slipper clutch. Is it best to go with a 6 or 5 clutch set?
It'll work. Only the takegawa 6 disk needs a special gearbox. All the other 5/6 disc setups can be used

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey
55 Posts
Hey man! Long time no talk. Hope things are going well with everything. Shame to see the bike sitting but we all know how that goes. Pre 4 valve, I know you ran a oil catch can. I'm still having issues with my bike running hot. I ordered new valve covers with fins and a cam cover with vent, as well as another vent for the oil fill. That way If I decide to run an oil catch can I can just hook it all up. Did you notice a temp decrease when you hooked yours up?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
181 Posts
Hey man! Long time no talk. Hope things are going well with everything. Shame to see the bike sitting but we all know how that goes. Pre 4 valve, I know you ran a oil catch can. I'm still having issues with my bike running hot. I ordered new valve covers with fins and a cam cover with vent, as well as another vent for the oil fill. That way If I decide to run an oil catch can I can just hook it all up. Did you notice a temp decrease when you hooked yours up?
I definitely did on mine

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey
55 Posts
I definitely did on mine

Thank you. It really takes a bit of hammering to get the heat to a shut off and rest point, but I'd like to stop doing that. I didn't upgrade the crank yet, so I try not to go too hard. Try being the key word.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
181 Posts
Thank you. It really takes a bit of hammering to get the heat to a shut off and rest point, but I'd like to stop doing that. I didn't upgrade the crank yet, so I try not to go too hard. Try being the key word.
Is it a 4 valve? I found mine was also quite sensitive to ignition timing, especially during cruising

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Is it a 4 valve? I found mine was also quite sensitive to ignition timing, especially during cruising

He has the 186 kit, 2 valve.

@JesseeS, did you upgrade your oil pump for the cooler?

Definitely add a catch can. If you run the bike hard at all you may be losing oil which will make it run hotter still.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey
55 Posts
He has the 186 kit, 2 valve.

@JesseeS, did you upgrade your oil pump for the cooler?

Definitely add a catch can. If you run the bike hard at all you may be losing oil which will make it run hotter still.
Yes I swapped the pump when I put a new clutch in. I just swapped to full synthetic as well. I have the cooler running to my cylinder as I don't have the kitaco clutch cover, but may invest in that as well at this point.

221 - 234 of 234 Posts