Honda Grom banner
201 - 220 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank u for the info on tools required. Will be ordering them. All the info everyone has provided is n will be helpful once I get started. The head gasket is the 1 mongerr told me about not to long ago. Also ordering the speed corrector. The drive chain is another part I need to order. What I have read from everyone is that the original drive chain is junk n should be replaced. I've looked online n all I know is that it's supposed to be a 420 but the length or what actual chain that is best I wouldn't know. I know I will need a chain link breaker tool also. As for bearings don't know if ceramic or other type of bearings to get. Heard about the wheel spacers n if both r good to get. Also anyone has info of the rubber cush drive dampers n if replacing them for better ones n which ones will help. Been seeing YouTube for adjusting the valves. I know the Takegawa 181cc 4v superhead bored engine might need different settings. All info is helpful. Best to everything figured out before I start. So I won't run into any problems. Thank u all

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok so far I got the flywheel puller,Crankshaft puller,clutch nut socket,WD-40 n got fresh blades. Don't know if I need the Crankshaft bearing puller. Seeing that I am changing the complete Crankshaft. But might need the bearing original shaft comes with. Don't know for sure. Will need to open Takegawa Crankshaft box n see if it comes with bearing already. I have a heat gun to remove other bearings. Still waiting on the head gasket for more compression on order from Webike to come in which might be in late this month or sometime next month. I ordered the bigger gas line n chimera wheel spacers. Thinking I will order the ceramic bearings also before I start project. Any one know if D.I.D 420 non o ring 120 link chain is good or should I find a chain with O-ring's?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Ok so far I got the flywheel puller,Crankshaft puller,clutch nut socket,WD-40 n got fresh blades. Don't know if I need the Crankshaft bearing puller. Seeing that I am changing the complete Crankshaft. But might need the bearing original shaft comes with. Don't know for sure. Will need to open Takegawa Crankshaft box n see if it comes with bearing already. I have a heat gun to remove other bearings. Still waiting on the head gasket for more compression on order from Webike to come in which might be in late this month or sometime next month. I ordered the bigger gas line n chimera wheel spacers. Thinking I will order the ceramic bearings also before I start project. Any one know if D.I.D 420 non o ring 120 link chain is good or should I find a chain with O-ring's?
My non o-ring chain definitely felt faster.

Clutch side crank bearing already installed on the crank. When you remove old bearing it will be stuck to the crack.

If you have a box to set case half onto with the flywheel side towards ground(fireproof box) with something to catch the dropping crank you can use heat gun to warm the end of the crank around the case/bearing location and your bearing and crank will fall out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Will definitely do. Hope u haven't given up on the monkey project. Will order the chain today. I got a spark plug heat sensor coming in. Wondering if a iridium spark plug is better than the one that came with the Takegawa 181cc superhead 4v bored out kit is better.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Will definitely do. Hope u haven't given up on the monkey project. Will order the chain today. I got a spark plug heat sensor coming in. Wondering if a iridium spark plug is better than the one that came with the Takegawa 181cc superhead 4v bored out kit is better.
I went straight to iridium.

Haven't touched the bike since the blow-up.

Back to work. Other bike is sitting too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hope u keep this trend going. It is so helpful to so many. The info helps the monkey owners who want to get a Takegawa 181cc kit. Keep it going by not giving up on ur Super Baboon. I know I won't no matter what happens with my bbk 181cc Takegawa build.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
What does one of these feel like going that fast?
One would hope you upgraded suspension and brakes with adding this much extra performance.

Mine was very smooth and stable at up to 98 mph.

Most think the tiny bike, tiny wheels would be unstable but mine was dialed in with the upgrades.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am adding the ceramic bearings n wheel spacers n bushings for swing arm in back. Do I need to change the drive shaft also? Don't know if it's needed or if there is a reason why I should change it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
I am adding the ceramic bearings n wheel spacers n bushings for swing arm in back. Do I need to change the drive shaft also? Don't know if it's needed or if there is a reason why I should change it.
What do you mean by drive shaft? The axle?

If so, not necessary to change. I did and regretted it. Got the Chimera threaded on both sides version.

Replaced with a Kitaco axle which is nice. Not necessary though. I think the bearings make a difference. My bike sure did roll a long ways after my piston seized!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm leaving the old clutch set in. I see there are sets that have more like 5 or 6 to a set. Don't know if that is something I should change.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
181 Posts
I'm leaving the old clutch set in. I see there are sets that have more like 5 or 6 to a set. Don't know if that is something I should change.
Add heavier clutch springs and tap the pressure plate to make it 6 bolts. Replace the discs once they wear out

Sent from my Atom_XL using Tapatalk

201 - 220 of 234 Posts