Honda Grom banner
181 - 200 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hope u don't give up on ur monkey project. To early to give up now. Give it a 2nd chance. U have invested to much to give up now. All that hard work for nothing is a shame.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Hope u don't give up on ur monkey project. To early to give up now. Give it a 2nd chance. U have invested to much to give up now. All that hard work for nothing is a shame.
Haven't made a decision yet. Work is more important and the garage is too tight with three cars and two bikes plus tools, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes work comes 1st. Especially how it is now. Let me know what u decide. Might be interested. I tend to do the same thing when things break. I would rather just get rid of it for the space or another project.

·
Registered
790 Posts
How much for the crankshaft and rod? I was thinking about making them into a table lamp…lol.

Ok, maybe not. My wife would never go for that.

Me: “It’s modern farmhouse decor, I promise”.

Talk about a conversation piece though…

Reactions: Chillis

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
I've got the messed up Takegawa crank/rod from the flywheel ordeal, stock crank/rod, and the broken one in the engine.

They are heavy little bastards!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wondering is anyone knows where to buy a new exhaust gaskets for the Takegawa 181cc 5 axis engine? I think I read someone say u need a new gasket for the new builds. Also the spacer plastic gasket for intake didn't come with my Koso intake kit n I assuming I need that with rubber gasket. If anyone can let me know where to get those I would appreciate that.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
181 Posts
Wondering is anyone knows where to buy a new exhaust gaskets for the Takegawa 181cc 5 axis engine? I think I read someone say u need a new gasket for the new builds. Also the spacer plastic gasket for intake didn't come with my Koso intake kit n I assuming I need that with rubber gasket. If anyone can let me know where to get those I would appreciate that.
The kit comes with an exhaust gasket. For the insulator, you may be able to bore out the stock one with a Dremel. Otherwise yuminashi and gromfatherz do bigger ones, but you still need to bore them out yourself.

Originally, I used a yuminashi insulator. Now that my intake port is 33mm, the gromfatherz one is the only one big enough

Sent from my Atom_XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 · (Edited)
There is no insulator, just the o-ring in the included manifold.

I ordered exhaust gaskets from Steady or Drow for the Koso 170cc kit. They are like stock but ship faster.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank u both. Will look for it n order it. Mongerrr wondering if u can help me with my PV3 setup. I don't know much n since u got the same setup was wondering when the time comes if u can help with setting it up. Haven't started yet. Just getting everything I need before I start the build. Gaskets n oil is what looks to be last few things I need for my Takegawa 181cc 5 axis bbk. Chillis u shouldn't give up on ur monkey project. It's worth it in the end n monkey's like these r worth it. The classic look n the time n money u spent is worth the extra investment to bring it back to life. Monkey's like these r few n not many I have seen with these bbk's. Whatever happens with my build I won't give up on mine. Will keep on till it's a fire breathing gorilla monkey.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
181 Posts
Thank u both. Will look for it n order it. Mongerrr wondering if u can help me with my PV3 setup. I don't know much n since u got the same setup was wondering when the time comes if u can help with setting it up..
Yeah mate. Feel free to PM me about the pv3 tune. Our setups aren't exactly the same, but it's close enough where we can get you going and you can do the rest with the wideband sensor logging

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok as for PM u monerr I have to figure out how to do that. I am new to blogging n really don't know what I need to do to do that. I aint much into computers n so far I have been messaging thru my phone. Will dremel the insulator monkey has to fit n as for exhaust gasket I didn't find the gasket for it in my kit. Will look at it again later today to make sure. Forgot to ask if the piston rings come already gapped n if not what is the best gap for it. I think I read they don't come gapped

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wondering if anyone knows the ring size for the kit. I heard that it comes already gapped n others say they don't. Anyone know what size they need to be?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
181 Posts
Wondering if anyone knows the ring size for the kit. I heard that it comes already gapped n others say they don't. Anyone know what size they need to be?
It definitely doesn't come already gapped. I used 0.012" on the top ring and 0.014" on the middle ring. Probably won't break a record on the dyno, but it has held up to highway running during an Aussie summer. Air cooled needs bigger gaps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 186 rings came in at about 0.08 each. Opened em up to 0.010 and 0.012.

Idk why but i have a feeling mine is gonna pop like this soon, too 🤣

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the info. Waiting on the head gasket to come in so I can get started on putting it together it's on back order till end of next month. Again no hurry. Now all I need to figure out is what tools I need to take apart the transmission n install the 5 gear kit. N see what other tools I will need to install the 181cc. Planning on doing it all myself. If anyone has any suggestions or advice please let me know. As for tools I mean what pullers or what special tool I need to take apart. I just got the fly wheel puller for oil cover. Just don't know what other special tool I need.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the info. Waiting on the head gasket to come in so I can get started on putting it together it's on back order till end of next month. Again no hurry. Now all I need to figure out is what tools I need to take apart the transmission n install the 5 gear kit. N see what other tools I will need to install the 181cc. Planning on doing it all myself. If anyone has any suggestions or advice please let me know. As for tools I mean what pullers or what special tool I need to take apart. I just got the fly wheel puller for oil cover. Just don't know what other special tool I need.
I believe youll need a bearing puller as well for the crank. So oil spinner/clutch socket, flywheel puller, flywheel holder(i recommend highly, regret not buying one LOL) and crank puller. And a gasket scraper/case splitter kit. Idk if you need the crank puller to ONLY install the 5 speed... havent done that myself yet.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Crankshaft bearing puller tool
Flywheel puller tool
Clutch nut/oil spinner socket
Heat gun for bearing/crank removal

I use fresh razor blades to scrape gaskets. Don't gouge, use lubricant like WD-40.

Transmission itself requires no special tools.

181 - 200 of 234 Posts