Honda Grom banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I am leaning to a Kitaco NEO 181 BBK.

Can I assume that there is not a 4 valve head for this kit?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
no, its a 2v with larger runners and valves. nice setup.
you know... to that point, im curious as to the flow rates, out of the box, of the neo 2v head vs a typical (koso for example) 4 valve head.

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Just order the Takegawa 4v head and the piston and do a correct piston gap check and you are set. The heads are pricey and the piston can be ordered but you have to order the rings that go with it.

It's a $1097 for the Takegawa kit

$789 for the Takegeawa 4v head with out the cam
$225 for the Takegawaw cam

You want to do it right here are the parts you will need that will make your grom go fast
Takegawa 181-4v BBK kit
Aracer tuner
full flow exhaust system
Takegawa oil catch can
Koso 34mm throttle body, inlet tube, 10 hole F/I

extra if you want to buy
Kitaco HD crank and rod
Takegawa 5 sp transmission
Hy-bird ceramic bearings

Speed cost.

For the money take the Neo 181 BBK kit or even the Finbro 183 kit and replace the throttle body with a Koso 34mm throttle body-inlet tube and port and match that to the head and get a good tuner and you will be able to keep up with any BBK kit engine or leave them in the dust.

The key is the tuner, porting and matching of the F/I size.

Good luck

·
Registered
189 Posts
Cisco - Agreed the tuning portion is where it's at... i couldnt' believe the difference mine made after the first dyno visit, then once my map was "close" the bazzaz auto tune really cleaned it up and the bike is even stronger than the last time i spent time on the dyno..

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Cisco - Agreed the tuning portion is where it's at... i couldnt' believe the difference mine made after the first dyno visit, then once my map was "close" the bazzaz auto tune really cleaned it up and the bike is even stronger than the last time i spent time on the dyno..
Wait till you get about 1000-1500 miles break in it will run even better, plus if you change out the exhaust to like a bigger I/D pipe like the one Finbro sells for the Finbo 183-2v full exhaust system or the 204-4v full exhaust system where your engine breaths better and to top that off with a good oil catch can system like Takegawa "$199" to reduce Crank Case Pressure and heat the engine will run like a fine tuned Porsche.

Good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just order the Takegawa 4v head and the piston and do a correct piston gap check and you are set. The heads are pricey and the piston can be ordered but you have to order the rings that go with it.

It's a $1097 for the Takegawa kit

$789 for the Takegeawa 4v head with out the cam
$225 for the Takegawaw cam

You want to do it right here are the parts you will need that will make your grom go fast
Takegawa 181-4v BBK kit
Aracer tuner
full flow exhaust system
Takegawa oil catch can
Koso 34mm throttle body, inlet tube, 10 hole F/I

extra if you want to buy
Kitaco HD crank and rod
Takegawa 5 sp transmission
Hy-bird ceramic bearings

Speed cost.

For the money take the Neo 181 BBK kit or even the Finbro 183 kit and replace the throttle body with a Koso 34mm throttle body-inlet tube and port and match that to the head and get a good tuner and you will be able to keep up with any BBK kit engine or leave them in the dust.

The key is the tuner, porting and matching of the F/I size.

Good luck
I was looking at this kit also but isn’t this bbk the only one supplied with a cast piston? Idk why they would do that besides cost. All other kits seem to use forged.

·
Registered
734 Posts
So far I am leaning to a Kitaco NEO 181 BBK.

Can I assume that there is not a 4 valve head for this kit?
Out of the box it's the nicest 2V head, to make it 4V you'd need a complete 4V head plus matching piston, you'd basically only use the cylinder (if it'd fit the 4V piston), might as well use the cylinder from any other 4 valve BBK.

If you want a good, fast, reliable, well made and complete BBK go for the Kitaco Neo, if you need every last bit of HP available go for the Koso 4 valve, the cam is more aggressive than the one on the Takegawa 4 valve head. To make the Takegawa faster you'd need to bump compression even more and ideally have a specific cam made or regrinded.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just know that 2 months after I purchase the NEO 181 2V, sure as shit that they will release the 4V version!

Yes I am still leaning that way.

Then crank & 5sp this winter....

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
I was looking at this kit also but isn’t this bbk the only one supplied with a cast piston? Idk why they would do that besides cost. All other kits seem to use forged.
I think I did ask Hard Racing if they could get a batch off 4v pistons made to replace the Takegawa 4v pistons to the spec's like their JE 183-2v piston and they said the cost to make a few does not make sense for their profit gain. I guess if enough people, say like a 100 people pre-ordered a 100 JE 4v piston made maybe they would do a first run batch. I know I would order 4 because I like to melt pistons when doing my testing.

Those JE pistons that Hard Racing made for the Finbro 183 kits are bullet proof.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
my opinion on it is that get something with a 4v head now, as its going to pay off later if you continue to eek hp out of the motor. this is why i went koso 170. Im very happy with mine... the reason i didnt go over that on bore was crank wear. i believe at 180+ on a stock crank, you're asking for trouble due to reciprocating weight. eventually, i'll get an upgraded crank/rod and a 5 speed, but so far, its been solid on my bike as is. just something to consider. budget at least 2500 for all upgrades that make sense, assuming doing all the work yourself.

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
my opinion on it is that get something with a 4v head now, as its going to pay off later if you continue to eek hp out of the motor. this is why i went koso 170. Im very happy with mine... the reason i didnt go over that on bore was crank wear. i believe at 180+ on a stock crank, you're asking for trouble due to reciprocating weight. eventually, i'll get an upgraded crank/rod and a 5 speed, but so far, its been solid on my bike as is. just something to consider. budget at least 2500 for all upgrades that make sense, assuming doing all the work yourself.
Everyone of my friends in Northern Calif with the Koso 170-4v engines are very happy with their BBK kit, I think the best 4v BBK kit for the money esp if you know how to do your own porting and tuning. I think even Grom FatherZ uses the Koso 4v heads on his builds.

Here is my friend Alan on his white grom white helmet with a Koso 170-4v with one of the first tested Aracer mini-2+, he left the other BBK groms in the dust,the other BBK grom was Franco's Finbro super head kit and the rest were slightly modified groms. That was one of the main reason I switched to Aracer ECM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts