Honda Grom banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to have a downswept pipe on my Monkey mostly so I can eventually add the clutch cover with the filter and fittings for an oil cooler. I bought one of the inexpensive ones from eBay but can't bring myself to install it and have to deal with the noise.

While on the Honda website the other day I was looking at the late model Grom and the pipe they're running on the '16 and later bikes. It's ugly and likely heavy as hell but I see possibilities here. It's flat bottom would kinda-sorta serve as both a skid plate and a place to sit the bike when I need to sit it on something for maintenance. Because they're about the first thing removed from stock bikes I venture to bet I could get one for pocket change.

The only concern I have is it's length. I'm not sure it'll clear the rear tire when wired on to a Monkey and it's 2" shorter wheelbase.

Hanging it ought to be relatively simple if I use a right side Grom foot peg mount. If the muffler tabs don't match up to the stock Monkey frame mounts that's an easy fix for my TIG welder.

Not being a big fan of catalytic converters I could see opening the "box" section, removing the cat and dinking around in there to make it flow.

Thoughts? Anyone have a late model Grom pipe they want to liberate for such an experiment???

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
914 Posts
I have one you could have, not sure what shipping would be? Might be better off finding one locally?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for the information!! I just ordered up the Grom footpeg bracket and once I get a Grom exhaust system in hand we'll get it rigged up. Leaving the muffler box-stock will make it super quiet again and it'll be interesting to see how it compares performance-wise to the Takegawa pipe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd like to have a downswept pipe on my Monkey mostly so I can eventually add the clutch cover with the filter and fittings for an oil cooler. I bought one of the inexpensive ones from eBay but can't bring myself to install it and have to deal with the noise.

While on the Honda website the other day I was looking at the late model Grom and the pipe they're running on the '16 and later bikes. It's ugly and likely heavy as hell but I see possibilities here. It's flat bottom would kinda-sorta serve as both a skid plate and a place to sit the bike when I need to sit it on something for maintenance. Because they're about the first thing removed from stock bikes I venture to bet I could get one for pocket change.

The only concern I have is it's length. I'm not sure it'll clear the rear tire when wired on to a Monkey and it's 2" shorter wheelbase.

Hanging it ought to be relatively simple if I use a right side Grom foot peg mount. If the muffler tabs don't match up to the stock Monkey frame mounts that's an easy fix for my TIG welder.

Not being a big fan of catalytic converters I could see opening the "box" section, removing the cat and dinking around in there to make it flow.

Thoughts? Anyone have a late model Grom pipe they want to liberate for such an experiment???
Hello,here is some pictures of what's inside the Grom cat box.I bypassed the box on my Grom with some tube and it was an improvement in sound and performance.I decated my Monkey and got what I wanted,improved sound and performance better than the Grom decat box. I think leaveing the curved pipe on the Monkey helps.Any way here's some pictures of the deboxed Grom pipe hanging on the Monkey and Monkey decated and what's inside the box,Ride Safe,Mikez
IMG_20201019_093220589.jpg
IMG_20201019_092813829.jpg
IMG_20201019_094010183.jpg
IMG_20201019_094043568.jpg

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very cool idea. Thank you for sharing what's inside the Grom box!!!

Reactions: mikez
1 - 7 of 7 Posts