Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, went for a ride today. Beautiful day-sunny, nice breeze. Bike was running great. Then.....

On my way home hit an insane down pour, just heavy heavy rain( got drenched, like I went in the ocean in my clothes) good times. Little scary for sure with running stock Vee
Rubber, took it safe and easy, but traffic was flowing at 50-60mph

I noticed my bike temp went low around 120* prob cause the rain. Anytime I went to accelerate the bike would freeze up/ bog out and kinda jolt. Super scary.
When I would give it full throttle it wouldn't go anywhere and kinda just
Die. Even if I rolled on the throttle it would do the same thing. Thought it
Was maybe the intake and water?! Or just cold temp messing with A/F, but never had this issue. Strange for sure and didn't like that at all.

Anyone experience anything like this or those riding in the wet season notice anything strange on accelerating in the rain?!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
the bogging could have been caused by excessive moisture in the intake/combustion chamber. take note, those sleeves are water repellant and not water proof. after enough exposure to water, they will become saturated and water may pass through. enough water/moisture gets into the combustion chamber, you have to be careful of hydrolock.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's exactly what I was thinking. I did take it easy and only tried it few times trying to see if it would correct itself. It was a ton of rain. I know the sleeves don't hold up to much water.
Well, gonna try and ride again tomorrow and see if it continues to Bog/slug down. It was strange to me, I grew up riding dirt bikes and would ride in all kinds of conditions wet/mud/ all and never experienced this...

·
Registered
938 Posts
Dirt bikes are designed to not get water or dirt into the intake. The chimera intake isn't designed for elements it's designed for max power. My kx450 has been through 2 foot deep water and flew through puddles rain and all that but never a problem but the air box is under the seat and pretty sealed up except for at the top.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I grew up in SoCal racing mx back in the days when it rained here. Any bike with a pod type filter was toast in the rain but those with a true air box forged ahead. And thus I still want to keep my air box and hope it again rains here. Blind optimism.......

Guessing whenever you built revs it would start to suck water thru the filter. As others have said, lucky you didn't hydro lock.

·
Registered
938 Posts
This is the exact reason I am reluctant to get the Mtake. I have been riding up here and it's great then I go to head home and its raining. The stock air box is no problem even with the holes I have drilled. With a pod filter I feel I would have been in the same boat.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the exact reason I am reluctant to get the Mtake. I have been riding up here and it's great then I go to head home and its raining. The stock air box is no problem even with the holes I have drilled. With a pod filter I feel I would have been in the same boat.
True. True.true.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the same problem before I installed my big bore. sucked too much water. it will be fine once it dries up, but you will have water in the oil and nasty oil/water residue on the dipstick and near it from the oil boiling the water. get it hot then open up the oil filler to let the steam out.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
R n D a longer hose such as a flex hose that fits the throttle body and extend the hose to various places on the grom where water "rain" can't get to it and see if it will help your problem.

I sort of solved my problem on my OEM Ver-2 airbox mod

I will carry a spare OEM cover when rainy seasons comes and either duct tape the cover over the open hole or remove the mod ring and screw in the cover, or keep the part of the OEM cover that I cut out and use it on rainy day by duct taping it over the hole for temp protection.

Da Kine Local quick fix

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
R n D a longer hose such as a flex hose that fits the throttle body and extend the hose to various places on the grom where water "rain" can't get to it and see if it will help your problem.

I will carry a spare OEM cover when rainy seasons comes and either duct tape the cover over the open hole or remove the mod ring and screw in the cover, or keep the part of the OEM cover that I cut out and use it on rainy day by duct taping it over the hole for temp protection.
Da Kine Local quick fix
Yea, I'll just try NOT to ride in the rain if I can. Although, living here on the Aina, you never know. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts