Honda Grom banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for anything out there for lowering an SF, but keeping the stock travel.

I'm not looking for one of those links that connect the bottom of the shock to the swing arm, but possibly a bracket that connects to the top of the shock and lifts up into a cavity under the seat - ideally with a correction for the leverage with a bell crank or something.

Is there anything even vaguely like that on the market?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm looking for anything out there for lowering an SF, but keeping the stock travel.

I'm not looking for one of those links that connect the bottom of the shock to the swing arm, but possibly a bracket that connects to the top of the shock and lifts up into a cavity under the seat - ideally with a correction for the leverage with a bell crank or something.

Is there anything even vaguely like that on the market?
Have you searched... at all?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The closest thing I've even found is a guy with a stretched air shock Grom fabricated some parts for himself, but I can't remember where I saw it. I don't care much for stretching or air, just a bracket for lowering with stock travel by mounting the shock up into the space of the under seat area.

Have you searched... at all?
I've searched for various parts over the last few weeks and nada, hence the asking, so unless you have an answer to my question, your post isn't particularly helpful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The premise is actually quite simple.

If you use the lowering link to drop the effective height, the suspension becomes semi compressed and the lever angles are not the same, which limits the range of motion. The result is you get less travel to deal with bumps in the road and a stiffer, less comfortable ride.

If you can lower the bike by raising the shock into the seat cavity and take the lever angle into consideration, you may get the full 4" or whatever of travel and a soft, comfortable ride. It may be possible to lower it further without a stretch because there is no link kit to rub on tyres.

I want to have my cake and eat it too ;)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
actually, on a grom, you are laying the shock over more which makes it 'softer'. the angle change isn't severe enough to make a notable difference on suspension travel, and since its being lowered, killing ground clearance, it really wont be an issue as its not like you're designing a gp bike suspension.

or, just get a shorter shock with a custom spring, thats the best way to get what you want. .02

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
it really wont be an issue as its not like you're designing a gp bike suspension.
Actually, it was a lot like that, but I'll have to stick it on the back burner. Too many projects, not enough time, and a mrs to take care of too.

I went an ordered a Composimo 2.5" rear lowering link with the modified upper spacer for the time being.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts