Honda Grom banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
From what I was reading, you have to compress the spring and the top hat is slotted to be removed from the shock rod. I couldn't find any pictures of the stock shock disassembled for myself, though.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
ImageUploadedByHondaGrom.net1469637827.274610.jpg
This is the best I have- the top eye itself is welded, but you may be able to unthread it from the rod. I believe the shock itself is sealed from the factory, so out of curiosity- why? Were you looking to add to the overall length or preload the spring with a spacer?

·
Registered
508 Posts
View attachment 29401
This is the best I have- the top eye itself is welded, but you may be able to unthread it from the rod. I believe the shock itself is sealed from the factory, so out of curiosity- why? Were you looking to add to the overall length or preload the spring with a spacer?
My guess is adding spacer for pre-load.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The stock spring is hard as hell, imho, and adding preload will make it even crazy harder. And the stock absorber valving is very poor, this is the OE Honda setup, cheap but feels sporty. I bought YSS shock for $82 in Thailand and its night and day difference from stock. Now it doesn't try to kick me and let me fly over the handlebar, now I just open full throttle on any obstacles ahead and it covers them pretty smooth and firm. Same shock is selling $150-200 is US and EU, I can recommend to buy it in thailand, their prices for locals are way different, shops like KD project racing in Bangkok, they have tons of grom parts for right prices and they do ship worldwide.

You could try to compress the spring, block the 22mm nut under the top eye part with a wrench, and using a think screwdriver thru the topeye unscrew the top part from the shock. Like here : Tear it up, fix it, repeat: CT70 Rear shock rebuild May be these Honda shocks construction is the same.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The stock spring is hard as hell, imho, and adding preload will make it even crazy harder. And the stock absorber valving is very poor, this is the OE Honda setup, cheap but feels sporty. I bought YSS shock for $82 in Thailand and its night and day difference from stock. Now it doesn't try to kick me and let me fly over the handlebar, now I just open full throttle on any obstacles ahead and it covers them pretty smooth and firm. Same shock is selling $150-200 is US and EU, I can recommend to buy it in thailand, their prices for locals are way different, shops like KD project racing in Bangkok, they have tons of grom parts for right prices and they do ship worldwide.

You could try to compress the spring, block the 22mm nut under the top eye part with a wrench, and using a think screwdriver thru the topeye unscrew the top part from the shock. Like here : Tear it up, fix it, repeat: CT70 Rear shock rebuild May be these Honda shocks construction is the same.
I'm with this guy.

Stock shock is oversprung and underdamped, the YSS gas bottle shock is better in every way, plus it's a little longer like you wanted and has preload adjust.

I know you love a project, but I believe the stock shock is just too crappy to be worth the effort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts