Honda Grom banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently broke my aftermarket shifter while riding so I replaced it with the stock one. After an hour of riding, to down shift, I have to first center the shifter or it will not downshift. For example, if I want to go from 2-1 after switching from 3-2 I need to push the lever up slightly and then downshift. If I were to do this without centering the lever it would just sink and the gear would not shift. This became very undesirable and I have not been able to find the issue after looking at my bike and searching on this forum.
My 2018 Grom has about 3.5k miles.

How can I fix my shifter or do I have to replace it?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,420 Posts
I'm not sure, but sounds more like the internal spring might be broken?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Was the aftermarket shifter mounted directly to the gearshift spindle? @Ninelives17 is right, you probably broke the spring, otherwise you bent the gearshift spindle in a way that keeps it from fully engaging the spring. That's one of the two reasons that Honda's engineers mounted the stock shifter to the rearset with linkage running to the gearshift spindle.. The spring is part #12 in the diagram, the spindle is part #9.
Partzilla.com Grom Gearshift-drum
I think the only way to service it is to split the cases, someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was the aftermarket shifter mounted directly to the gearshift spindle? @Ninelives17 is right, you probably broke the spring, otherwise you bent the gearshift spindle in a way that keeps it from fully engaging the spring. That's one of the two reasons that Honda's engineers mounted the stock shifter to the rearset with linkage running to the gearshift spindle.. The spring is part #12 in the diagram, the spindle is part #9.
Partzilla.com Grom Gearshift-drum
I think the only way to service it is to split the cases, someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.
Yeah the aftermarket one was directly connected to it. I'm not sure if the spring is broken because the shifter still lifts up after you push it down (doesn't necessarily switch gears, however.) Maybe the spring is damaged but not broken? Would I have to take apart the bike to check the condition of the spindle and the spring?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah the aftermarket one was directly connected to it. I'm not sure if the spring is broken because the shifter still lifts up after you push it down (doesn't necessarily switch gears, however.) Maybe the spring is damaged but not broken? Would I have to take apart the bike to check the condition of the spindle and the spring?
Thanks for your help.
I'm having thr same issue. Just never had a aftermarket one installed, ever find the fix?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm having the same issue. Just never had a aftermarket one installed, ever find the fix?
What kind of riding and how many miles? Was there ever any kind of drop or crash that could have damaged the shift shaft? Is the linkage from the gear shift lever to the pivot arm straight and undamaged? If you remove the linkage from the gear shift lever, does the lever pivot freely on its mount at the rearset? If there's no obvious external damage, then there's probably something bent or broken internally that would require splitting the cases to service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What kind of riding and how many miles? Was there ever any kind of drop or crash that could have damaged the shift shaft? Is the linkage from the gear shift lever to the pivot arm straight and undamaged? If you remove the linkage from the gear shift lever, does the lever pivot freely on its mount at the rearset? If there's no obvious external damage, then there's probably something bent or broken internally that would require splitting the cases to service.
Alot of just cruising and some wheelies, yes it was dropped and bent the stock shifter. Replaced it with another stock shifter and linkage, even the the original linkage wasn't bent. The spring works as it springs the shifter up and down just it just needs ever so slight pressure up to stay up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts