Honda Grom banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was talking with some people and this guy said that he was going to get the frame inserts that go into the hollow Grom frame. This led me to start doing some research on why people do it.

Seems like it reinforces the frame under the seat for people that stunt their Groms?

I don't stunt mine... but that led to me wondering if the frame was weak and if there would be benefits to reinforcing the frame. I know some people that do high performance racing, use something like foam filler like Foamseal Two Component Foam Kit. This is different than the the foam stuff from home depot or whatever. This is stuff that is meant to actually stiffen up the chasis. Now people have said that this could lead to rust.

Just wondering if there were any other ways of reinforcing the frame. Kind of a curiosity question more than anything.

My Grom is pretty much stock and I don't have intentions of off-roading or jumping stuff with it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
You don't have to worry. But, Hard Racing sells an engine brace which I have. I felt like it did increase the stiffness of the frame, however it did also add vibrations. There are also shift shaft support braces which is good if you are really giving your shift lever the boot. Over Racing makes a frame brace that connects the neck of the frame to the bottom of the engine cases. I don't know if this is more for looks or if it actually adds to the frames rigidity. If you pair this with their version of the engine brace (similar to Hard Racing), I suppose it could help....although the design really looks like its more for looks.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would like to add that filling up the hollow parts of the frame with the right kind of expanding foam seems like it would prevent rust by keeping moisture out. If you use the wrong kind of foam, I could see it retaining moisture and accelerating rust. I wonder if the foam would dampen vibrations, that would be nice.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My build is pretty mild, but I felt like I picked up a small amount of vibration after removing the oil spinner, when I installed the Kitaco clutch cover.

To reduce that vibration I added the Hard Racing engine brace. Recently, I installed the Takegawa 4th crank support bearing. I feel like the bike is more smooth after those two upgrades. I don’t know, that is how it feels to me.

I also have the Hard Racing shifter shaft support, along with the Kitaco adjustable shift link. The shifting supreme. I’m shocked at how well my bike shifts.

I wonder if that structural foam in the frame would absorb vibrations? It’s not something I would pursue. I think my Ford pickup has something like that injected into a few spots.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My build is pretty mild, but I felt like I picked up a small amount of vibration after removing the oil spinner, when I installed the Kitaco clutch cover.

To reduce that vibration I added the Hard Racing engine brace. Recently, I installed the Takegawa 4th crank support bearing. I feel like the bike is more smooth after those two upgrades. I don’t know, that is how it feels to me.

I also have the Hard Racing shifter shaft support, along with the Kitaco adjustable shift link. The shifting supreme. I’m shocked at how well my bike shifts.

I wonder if that structural foam in the frame would absorb vibrations? It’s not something I would pursue. I think my Ford pickup has something like that injected into a few spots.
Try it out! I don't think you really have anything to lose.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to add that filling up the hollow parts of the frame with the right kind of expanding foam seems like it would prevent rust by keeping moisture out. If you use the wrong kind of foam, I could see it retaining moisture and accelerating rust. I wonder if the foam would dampen vibrations, that would be nice.
Right. the foam that was discussed in the car forums and such are special products for the application. I believe there were people that tried using the cheap expanding foam from Home Depot thinking it would be the same, but that actually ended up holding moisture and causing their rocker panel to rust out even faster. Given that though, this is all anecdotal evidence I found on forums.

I was just kind of curios since I the frame inserts and thought that people were having issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts