Honda Grom banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Grom - Incredible Green
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals, I get a kick out of checking out what everyone's done to their Groms so I wanted to start a thread on my new Grom as well!

Here it is with zero miles on it when I picked it up:

And after a 31 mile ride home here it is at its new home!

As I was checking everything out I noticed the license plate light just didn't seem right, it was really loose. I hopped onto hondagrom.net and searched around and found this was normal apparently, but I did find a thread where someone was able to figure out how to tighten it: Love my Grom....but a few minor things I wish to change:

I can't believe this would be this floppy to protect the bulb filament from vibration but who knows, I put an LED bulb in there anyway so it doesn't matter. To fix this you'll need to put a couple washers around collars #4 in the part diagram below, or you could grind off some of the length.

Put it all back together and everything snugs up like you would expect it to:

More to come,
Cheers!
Stewart

·
Registered
516 Posts
That is a great way to fix the tail light. If I ever have mine apart I may do that. Looks solid.

I ended up slipping an extra gasket (#6) in between the parts. It took 95% of the wobble out of it. They cost less than a $1.50. I didn’t have to remove anything. Just had to modify the gasket by cutting the center of it out. I bought a couple of them. Took a couple of tries to get it right. Used a feeler gauge to help work it into place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Upgrayedd (haha good movie btw) that looks good too, for sure more than one way to fix that light.

I had heard how uncomfortable the stock seat is and by the time I got home I was in agreement, it's hard and the shape of the seat doesn't let you move around. Below is the replacement, unfortunately I haven't been able to ride it yet with the new seat but just sitting on it, it doesn't feel much softer. We'll see after I get a few miles on it.

And the reason I haven't ridden it again since I brought it home is... I haven't had a bike with a chain drive for a while so I was reading other peoples experience with the Grom's chain. Some people said it comes pretty dry from the dealer and others said it came adjusted pretty tight. I looked at my chain a little closer and decided to lube and adjust it.

After I finished that I was wiping off a little excess lube and took the plastic chain guard thing off which kinda fits on top of the swing arm to get better access, the two rear screws come out fine but the last one which is more toward the front on the left side feels like it's cross threaded as I'm unscrewing it :(

Looking at the threads yeah they are messed up, so naturally I take one of the other ones and screw it in... it goes in fine for a couple of turns and then I can feel resistance. I take that one back out and now two of the three screws are messed up.

I think a weld splatter got in there or something, you could see the threads and they were not crossed. I chased the threads with my M6x1.0 tap and test fitted the last good screw. Whew, all is good, it went in and out fine.

But now I'm waiting for the new screws to get here from partzilla so I can put that stupid chain guard back on so I can ride it again! Oh well. While I was ordering stuff I ordered a few of the spinner gaskets and clutch side cover gaskets so I'll have them later when I'm ready to do that maintenance.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I’m not sure if I would like a different seat or not. I’m pretty happy with the stock seat. I’m a cyclist, so I’m used to sitting for long hours on a very minimal bicycle saddle. I rode for about 13 years on a saddle that was nothing more than a $600 piece of carbon fiber! No padding. No cover. Just a 64 gram piece of carbon fiber...lol. So the Grom seat feels like a sofa by comparison! Maybe I’ll try another seat someday to see if I’m missing out.

Yeah, my chain was too tight and pretty dry. My stock swingarm had splatter all over it in some areas. I’ve since replaced it with an aluminum swingarm. I keep 3 each of those clutch cover and stator cover gaskets on hand. Not a bad idea to have extra gaskets.

Reactions: Stew

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a little time this morning before I have to work so I got my rim tape put on. I bought the customtaylor33 in lime green and the color is a great match.

The tape is a metallic type tape, like the yearly sticker you put on your car or motorcycle license plate, looks like pretty decent stuff. I overlapped in the direction of wheel rotation so if anything snagged it it wouldn't catch it and try to peel it off. To do this all the way around you have to leave a little bit open on the first piece so you can tuck in the last piece.

And here it is finished. It's a little trickier than I thought keeping it even all the way around, when you spin the wheels the tape wobbles a little, I'm going to try to not let my OCD obsess over it haha.

More to come.
Stewart

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the new shorty levers put on today and the replacement chain guard fender screws should be in tomorrow so I can actually start riding this thing! It's been sitting in the garage since I rode it home from the dealer on Oct 6th, plus the weather is supposed to be decent, I can't wait!

New goodies, black shorty levers with green adjuster:

Old:

New:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My parts finally came today... I got three clutch side case gaskets, three spinner gaskets and two crush washers for future maintenance, the three chain guard screws and a trim piece for the Goldwing. Got the screws put in and went for a quick ride, got a good pic here.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Excellent start to your build! What kinda things do you plan on doing? Stunting? Track? Canyon carver?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’ll probably see mostly urban duty, commuting, errands and stuff… There’s a guy with a Grom at my work and another person that's getting one of the new Trail 125’s when they get here so maybe an occasional miniMOTO group ride as well. We got another guy with a Ruckus but it would be harder to include him because of the lower speed, we’re working on him to upgrade to a Grom :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nice, that's what my build was (is I guess, it's never done). Made it a commuter king, urban runabout with upgrades to keep reliability. I have a build thread here as well, but I think my build was made significantly better with the following:

Suspension upgrades
Stainless Steel braided brake lines
Clutch cover that removes the spinner and adds an oil filter.
Stiffer clutch springs and clutch plate.
Shift lever that's not connected to the foot peg.

I did many more besides, and still find things to do, but these upgrades are worth every penny.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts