Honda Grom banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have made a few changes in the last 18 months of ownership and have more parts on the boat from Japan that should arrive in a few months, so thought I’d start a thread as I know I like watching other peoples builds and you guys can help me out when needed.

Photo from the first few weeks, had just removed the reflectors and was only planning to add an exhaust 🤣

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As it stands today in order of purchases. JT 14T Front Sprocket / Hotlap Trail Exhaust / Takegawa Tachometer / Kitaco Clutch Lifter & Springs / OEM Lightened Oil Spinner / Takegawa Magnetic Drain Bolt / DIY Gear Shifter Linkage / Takegawa Power Filter - Install pending / Takegawa Super Oil Pump / DIY Frame Plugs / Lots of Takegawa bling :) / G-Craft Spindle Holder / G-Craft Spools / Hurricane Fender Eliminator / G-Craft Finned Tappet Covers / Kijima Horn Relocation Kit - Install pending / Rear Shocks with 8mm pre-load.

Since this photo I have removed and sold the rear rack as I prefer the look without.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Over the past few weeks I got a few jobs done on the Monkey.

Ist I removed the front and rear wheel axles and swingarm pivot to give them a lube, swingarm pivot was corroded.

2nd I changed out the fork oil for some 20w Motul, good cheap improvement. (Edit 15/12/20 - now that I have done some higher speed rides with the 20w fork oil I can tell you I like it at speeds 70 km/h and under but above that speed the feel is quite harsh when hitting uneven road surfaces. For me still good as most of my riding is around the suburbs but something to take into consideration)

And I had time to give the Monkey a wash today and snap a few new pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Takegawa hyper ignition coil and NGK cover fitted.

Been one 1 ride since fitted and I can feel a slight difference, like the pull thru the RPM is stronger.

Didn’t trim the wire length yet as I might want to reroute it when the open intake goes on.

Attachments

Reactions: Chillis

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
CJR self mapping race (SMR) ECU fitted along with the Takegawa power filter.

First impressions is the bike feels stronger and revs out much easier 😁 and after a bigger ride on Sunday the bike appears to hit a wall at an indicated speed of 100 km/h 😩 where I’m pretty sure I got up to 110 last time I was on that road.

I will state that the SMR ECU has been flashed with a 143cc base map for my upcoming install so I‘m sure a map with more advanced ignition would perform better on the 125cc.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spent last night tinkering and got the Takegawa bearing support for the crank and Takegawa cam chain tensioner arm with Kitaco tensioner cap install done.

Engine internal left hand side and right hand side now have the goods.

Attachments

Reactions: Chillis

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,481 Posts
Never underestimate the effect of the wind, a head/tail wind could easily make a 10 kph difference. I'd give it a few more tries. I know it's a tuff job, but someone has to do it. Lol.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
904 Posts
Never underestimate the effect of the wind, a head/tail wind could easily make a 10 kph difference. I'd give it a few more tries. I know it's a tuff job, but someone has to do it. Lol.
Over filling oil causing excess crankcase pressure and windage can drop speed.

Colder weather and wearing larger clothes adds drag, especially if loose fitting. Many scenarios affect performance.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DIY air intake today, I think the pipe needs a little more trimmed off from the throttle body side to lower it more but that will do for today.

Attachments

Reactions: BUCKNUT and Chillis

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After a few days in the garage finally got the Takegawa catch can fitted, looks great and fills that space left when you remove the airbox.

After riding around a bit with the open intake I can’t say I love the sound but it’s growing on me and the bike looks heaps better with less black plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OEM battery was performing pretty poorly due to all the short trips I do on the bike and being 3 years old, so sprung for my first lithium battery.

0.5kg instead of 1.5 and 140 CCA instead of 65, will be interesting to see the life of this battery.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts