Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Pay attention in class and have fun during the riding portion. Lots of good info in those classes. The slow red Grom will be perfect for a first manual clutch bike. Good job.

·
Registered
403 Posts
and all I can say is that I want my go faster red machine of fun even more.

Yeah I called red faster, call me racist, I dont care. Red is better. :big smile:
How long is the course, with what association... and how much is it? and btw...I'm getting a RED also!

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long is the course, with what association... and how much is it? and btw...I'm getting a RED also!

The course is 2 nights of class from 6-10 and two riding days about 6-7 hours each. I think its through Motorcycle Safety Foundation or something like that. Cost me around $100 or so, cant really remember since I signed up for it the day after I put money down on the Grom. And its offered by the local community college here in town.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right on. I still want to take a course but I don't like giving up my saturdays!

worth it in my case. when I pass the class all I'll have to do at the DMV to get the motorcycle endorsement on my license is take the written test. no riding test:wink:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
worth it in my case. when I pass the class all I'll have to do at the DMV to get the motorcycle endorsement on my license is take the written test. no riding test:wink:
Definitely worth it. I have had my motorcycle license since I was 16 and never took one but would love to learn little tricks I may not know. You're never too old to learn.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The course is 2 nights of class from 6-10 and two riding days about 6-7 hours each. I think its through Motorcycle Safety Foundation or something like that. Cost me around $100 or so, cant really remember since I signed up for it the day after I put money down on the Grom. And its offered by the local community college here in town.
Its worth every penny, my MSF course saved my life more than once. I've also taken the ERC, experienced riders course. That's a good one also. It saves me 10% per year on insurance.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yea you should learn something new everyday. Dont be ignorant when it comes to motorcycles and the street. But yall should look into american supercamp i went there when i was 16 won a trip there in so cal and it was all older dudes and rode street. I had fun learned sum stuff that came to light once i got my streetbike. Years later i remembered. Check em out.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
I started riding fairly late in life, unlike most of you. I bought my first bike, a brand new 2006 Triumph T100 before I ever learned how to ride. I towed the bike home and it sat in my garage for a month until I could get on the next MSF schedule. I believe some of the very basic things that are taught there, all of which are really just common sense, have saved my life many times.

Remember when you are in traffic, ride like you are invisible to everyone. And when you are rocking the twisties, you will have lots and lots of fun but dont loose your head. You never want to hear The Song of the Sausage Creature.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
SS did it again! It's a bit dated but I find this quote timeless. "It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles."

Yep! After 20 years I can still count my track crashes on one hand, I've got a few to go before I can't. On the street I've had a few. One was life changing. I never want to hit another car again. Flesh vs steel, steel wins every time. My helmet saved my life but that shit hurt, five broken ribs, the doc says breathe deep so you dont get a cold. I said Fu k doc it hurts to just breathe. I got a cold, try sneezing with broken ribs, I dare you. I've never had worse pain other than when my dog died.

I wasn't sure I'd make it but I'm one of the fast old grey haired guys now. It's not a bad way to be. Some of the young whippersnappers even respect me.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
SS did it again! It's a bit dated but I find this quote timeless. "It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles."

Yep!
You probably don't like this quote: "Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." LOL!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
You probably don't like this quote: "Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." LOL!
How could you tell, that quote is just plain wrong, the track is where it at, the street is for punks. It only took me about ten years of riding to figure this out. People that ride the tracks are just better riders in less time than street riders. The only thing you loose once you get on the track is the desire to ride on the street.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
How could you tell, that quote is just plain wrong, the track is where it at, the street is for punks. It only took me about ten years of riding to figure this out. People that ride the tracks are just better riders in less time than street riders. The only thing you loose once you get on the track is the desire to ride on the street.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know..... Ha Ha!

Man, I laugh out loud every time I read that article. There is some good advice hidden in there for a new rider too..

·
Registered
457 Posts
This is so true you took the words out of my mouth

·
Registered
955 Posts
I've been an MSF rider coach for two years now. I really believe in this program and even experienced riders that show up kind of cocky change their attitude by the end of the course. Possibly 8 of the 12 the people in my classes have developed some bad habits they don't even realize. A big one is turning your head and looking at the ground around turns instead of though them. You really need to make a conscious effort to develop good habits. Take the MSF course and you won't regret it. It may cost you some money, but if it prevents an accident it was worth the investment.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I've been an MSF rider coach for two years now. I really believe in this program and even experienced riders that show up kind of cocky change their attitude by the end of the course. Possibly 8 of the 12 the people in my classes have developed some bad habits they don't even realize. A big one is turning your head and looking at the ground around turns instead of though them. You really need to make a conscious effort to develop good habits. Take the MSF course and you won't regret it. It may cost you some money, but if it prevents an accident it was worth the investment.
I agree. At the track you must look ahead and through the turns to maintain the proper line through the corners.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts