Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As promised I have racked up 500 miles on Brian's 170cc BBK and have torn it down for inspection. I have been riding the bike as hard as possible to flush out any concerns. As you can see from the pictures it looks really good. From this inspection I would say the kit is ready for the masses. There are no concerns about wear on the wrist pin or wear on the piston. You will notice a bit of wear in the cylinder. This will be rectified by switching from a 320grit hone to a 240grit hone. This will help initial breakin with the chrome ring which typically take a bi more breakin time as they are very hard. It is also recommended that you change you oil after 25-50 miles since there is no paper filter to catch the little stuff from breakin, I changed mine at ~100.

The power increase is significant as you would expect. It makes the bike so much more fun to ride. Hills don't slow you down anymore and acceleration to 60mph is much faster. I have hit 74mph at the revlimiter and can hit 65mph sitting up. My bike would only go 54mph sitting up when stock. It is a major improvement and can't wait for the ported head. It will be an even bigger power boost.

I have the map finished for the stock head, K&N intake, PCX150 Injector, Crower cam and exhaust. Brian will provide this map with the kit if you are running a Bazzaz, you can also PM me and I'm happy to share. I will be installing one of Brian's ported heads when I reassemble this motor and i will create a fuel map for you all to use with your ported head. I'm excited to start testing that configuration next week, maybe the following depending on work travel.

Here is the test bike, nothing special just a few mods with powder-coated and painted tidbits. It has a Bazzaz with Autotune, PCX150 Injector, Crower cam, RC bend bars, steel braided lines, Michelins, Vagabond TT and a custom Vagabond exhaust so I could run the Bazzaz Autotune and modified stock exhaust. FMF will be here in a few days.

Here is the piston as it came out of the engine, it is what you would expect with California fuel. Notice the small oil streak that looks like a crack. It is NOT a crack, see next picture.

Piston cleaned up a bit, I still need to hit it with some steel wool before re-assembly.

Here are the skirts of the piston, notice there is NO wear. It is very hard to nail the skirt design on the first try. Strong work BrianS!

Other side

Here is the cylinder, notice the very slight wear on the wall. When Brian changes the initial hone to 240grit it will alleviate this minor wear.

Other side

The wrist pin looks excellent

The connecting rod has no wear that I could see.

· Registered
29 Posts
I really hate to ask this question........but will it make any difference at all whether one chooses to run a Bazzaz or PC-V? I'm sending in for the 170 kit and just trying to get everything else gathered up. Thanks for the post, I'm glad to see that it turned out so well.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really hate to ask this question........but will it make any difference at all whether one chooses to run a Bazzaz or PC-V? I'm sending in for the 170 kit and just trying to get everything else gathered up. Thanks for the post, I'm glad to see that it turned out so well.
It will make no difference if you run the Bazzaz or PC-V. Either unit will work just fine.

· Registered
8,369 Posts
thanks for the update, so far my order/paid items are the 170cc kit, the Crower cam, PCX150cc FI unit, and only thing I need is the PCV and I should be good to go.

I hate putting on a after market exhaust system due to the stupid law in Calif since Jan 2013 modified exhaust bull crap, but I heard that the Yosh RS9 exhaust system was the only one cleared as a DOT/street legal exhaust to use in Calif with out getting a ticket. I just need to investigate this tidbit a little more to verify the use of Yosh pipe.

What was the valve clearance setting on the intake and exhaust valves with the Crower cam?

· Registered
457 Posts
What is the compression ratio of this piston?

Sent from my iPhone using HondaGrom.net

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

· Registered
62 Posts
So how about the power increase? HUGE!?! if the 143 kits are putting out 12ish(with pipe, filter, remap etc), how is this compare. Can you power wheelie now?

Looks good after 500 miles, hope the long term test looks good to.

Reactions: Grom1202

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So how about the power increase? HUGE!?! if the 143 kits are putting out 12ish(with pipe, filter, remap etc), how is this compare. Can you power wheelie now?

Looks good after 500 miles, hope the long term test looks good to.
I can wheelie in first without any clutch and without trying hard at all. To get the front wheel up in second you need some clutch but it comes up unlike the stock bike. It is a major improvement over stock!

· Registered
3,802 Posts
I can wheelie in first without any clutch and without trying hard at all. To get the front wheel up in second you need some clutch but it comes up unlike the stock bike. It is a major improvement over stock!
Gearing? Stock?

Sent from my iPhone using HondaGrom.net

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.