Honda Grom banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this by saying my mechanical skills are near 0, but love riding Grom and have been taking this opportunity to try and do some work on my own and hopefully increase that score a little…….

Installed a 14T front sprocket, and of course after watching a million how to videos I accidentally used the longer sprocket casing bolts to fix the sprocket to the countershaft rather than the shorter correct ones, seemingly damaging the countershaft behind it and causing an oil leak.

How screwed am I? Any idea of what the dealer will charge to fix? Is this for sure the oil leak cause? Judging by my current scenario, is this repair out of my reach? Any help appreciated.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design

·
Registered
677 Posts
The damaged oil seal needs to come out and the seal seat sanded down to allow the installation of a new seal.

You should have the dealer do it for you this time. Not a big deal.

I would not agree if the dealer tells you the entire case half needs to be replaced.

Live and learn. Don't beat yourself up about it. Part of the tuition we all pay to get an education!

·
Registered
2014 Grom
64 Posts
Buy a new seal, drain your oil, find a small screw and screw directly it into the seal itself, then grab the screw head with a pair of pliers and pull the seal out. Use a dremel to smooth away the two bits of marred metal that the bolts made, then tap your new seal into place. I would lay the bike on it's side for easy access.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
677 Posts
Buy a new seal, drain your oil, find a small screw and screw directly it into the seal itself, then grab the screw head with a pair of pliers and pull the seal out. Use a dremel to smooth away the two bits of marred metal that the bolts made, then tap your new seal into place. I would lay the bike on it's side for easy access.
That would work, but if you are not handly with a dremel, and are not careful with the metal dust, it may end badly.

From Hayes Manual:

Photograph Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Screenshot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Dealership wants to replace the whole left crank case, along with misc gaskets, parts are $150 labor $700.

I have a buddy who’s probably torn down and rebuilt 100 of these, thinks he can do it without all that, it’s just hard to pin him down on getting it done.

Wish there was an option where I actually came away from it learning a little more then grab right the right bolt and don’t whiskey torque something in, but doesn’t sound like that is in the cards……

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just fix it yourself like ghost said. Load the inner bearing up with grease use a dremel with a small sanding wheel to clean up roughness, Then remove all extra grease with finger that'll contain any metal filings, install new seal/sprocket then ride- seems like a no brainer too me-
and if u screw up "then" it'll cost ya....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well just cleaning it up and replacing the seal isn’t an option- fml. Didn’t seem like I was putting that much force on it when I accidentally used the longer bolts, so dumb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts