Honda Grom banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was wondering, anyone really knows if this is ok, or not good at all? I've tried it on my MSX and it worked (didn't feel like hurting her). But I'm reading different stories.. the thing is, its not that I wanne do it everytime, but when you have some annoying guy in a car next to you who is laughing at the size of your bike i wanne pull away asap, speedshifting would help :D

For those who don't know what it is, speedshifting is shifting up gear without using the clutch! NEVER try this to shift down!!

Greetings

Jannes

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've done it on all my bikes without any issue. Don't keep the throttle pinned though, and not from first to second.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aight! About the throttle, I didn't keep it pinned so thats a check, and from 1 to 2 I wont because you gotta get passed neutral right?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Forces involved are also bigger in the lowest gears.
On another subject: briefly did some 'Autobahn' yesterday. Took it up to 102 km/h checked on an AiM Solo...

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I've done a lot of clutchless shifting on a lot of bikes. I don't think it ever caused a problem but for all I know the transmissions were destroyed on those bikes but they all ran great and I never had a reason to tear them down.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
In the "sportbike" world clutchless upshiting is very common. I mainly do it when I'm on the track though or if I'm playing pretty hard in the mtn's.

Speaking of shifting. I can't wait to get my hands on a quickshifter for my Grom. The best $$ I've ever spent on a bike by faaaar, swore I'd never own another bike without one lol.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
In the "sportbike" world clutchless upshiting is very common. I mainly do it when I'm on the track though or if I'm playing pretty hard in the mtn's.

Speaking of shifting. I can't wait to get my hands on a quickshifter for my Grom. The best $$ I've ever spent on a bike by faaaar, swore I'd never own another bike without one lol.
more info on a quickshifter... ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts

Lol at a quickshifter on a grom, bet you hit 0-60 in 7.1 vs 7.3.

To the op its clutchless shifting not speedshifting, its all about matching rpm to gear speed and not loading the gears. I would be careful on the 1-2 because you might loop the bike, based on my fiddy experience, haven't rode a grom yet.

·
Registered
170 Posts
On the motard, I use the clutch when doing whoolies and when I go to stop. That's it. Upshifts, downshifts, fully leaned over with the knee on the ground mid turn, whenever. Smooth as butter. I dont even have to match revs. On the sportbike, I match have to match revs or shit gets REALLY loose. I'll be feeling the Grom transmission out before I decide to make it a practice on that platform, but I can only assume it will take it just fine. 1 to 2 is a bad idea as you have to pass N to get there. False neutrals and prematurely worn gear dogs will surely follow after too many missed 1 to 2 clutchless upshifts.

Though it's really only useful for racing applications where split seconds count. Or when you're railing the everliving shit out of the twisties.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
more info on a quickshifter... ;)
I'm working with my buddy at Annitori and his engineers now. They make the best stand-alone QS on the market. I'll probably be working on a new thread to scope out the interest etc to show them that hopefully I'm not the only one who wants one haha.

It's not all for racing or shaving every tenth off for those that made the comment about a QS on the Grom lol. If you've ever rode a bike with one on the street you would see how nice it is to have and you get spoiled by it, plus it's just fun as hell keeping it pinned and never letting off haha.

Ever been leaned over with your knee down and wanting to catch another gear before you straighten the bike up? But you can't because it may abrupt the suspension etc. Well with a QS you can grab that next gear and it be butter smooth without abrupting the suspension etc.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Though it's really only useful for racing applications where split seconds count. Or when you're railing the everliving shit out of the twisties.
This. Clutchless shifting has its place... but if you're bad at it (or even just so-so at it) you'll put extra wear on your entire running gear. I'd rather replace a clutch every 20k than a transmission even once.

EDIT: It should be said that I've never replaced a clutch in any bike I've ever owned and I use the clutch all the time. Even my EX500 that had 70k kilometers was on the original clutch...

·
Registered
9 Posts
This. Clutchless shifting has its place... but if you're bad at it (or even just so-so at it) you'll put extra wear on your entire running gear. I'd rather replace a clutch every 20k than a transmission even once.

EDIT: It should be said that I've never replaced a clutch in any bike I've ever owned and I use the clutch all the time. Even my EX500 that had 70k kilometers was on the original clutch...
After reading through the thread I did a bit of practicing for an hour. It seamed to work pretty smooth for me. The gears with the shifter feel pretty tight. Not really any give in the shifter like I seen in the video with the full size motorcycle. What would constitute being bad or so so at it?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Really? You need a slipper? Not like this engine had a ton of compression braking.

Might as well convert over to a semi-auto clutch... not that I'm opposed to the conversion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts