Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
I'm a proud owner of a MSXSF 2016.
The bike is practically brand-new only couple months old but I've noticed that It chokes on fourth gear.
First gear until third are great, the problem is that when I switch to 4th gear it's as if the engine is not realeasing its full power
. I can't get over 7 rpm and getting to 7 is also hard.
Top speed that I get is 94-95 kmph after a lot of effort and it seems weird.
I've seen vids on the net of peeps getting to 105-110 and I also have a friend that gets to 110.
I thought that after I'll change my exhaust and take the catalytic converter out it should change but no luck.
Any ideas what is the problem? Thanks a lot!

·
Banned
714 Posts
they wake up a lot as they loosen up with mileage. just keep riding it.

also the difference between 95km/h and 105km/h for these bikes is the tiniest bit of slope on the road or a bit of wind. when you have almost no horsepower, you need all the help you can get. the tiniest up hill will have massive effects on top speed.

·
Registered
752 Posts
they wake up a lot as they loosen up with mileage. just keep riding it.

also the difference between 95km/h and 105km/h for these bikes is the tiniest bit of slope on the road or a bit of wind. when you have almost no horsepower, you need all the help you can get. the tiniest up hill will have massive effects on top speed.
I agree. It sounds like your Grom is working as expected.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Doesn't sound like anything is wrong. Right now you are having a hard time overcoming the gearing. I couldn't overcome the gearing in 4th either until about 500 miles. I switched to a 14t front sprocket. I just recently switched back to stock because my Grom has gotten quicker the more I ride it. I still can't hit the rev limiter though in 4th, and probably never will without more modifications.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you take the converter out? Might be an obstruction if you did it yourself. Or is a cat-replacement pipe? You need to able to at least hit a rev limiter. Can you hit the rev limit if you are in neutral?
I just got a new exhaust pipe that is lighter.
It just seems weird that I can't get over 7 rpm even if I press it to the max

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't sound like anything is wrong. Right now you are having a hard time overcoming the gearing. I couldn't overcome the gearing in 4th either until about 500 miles. I switched to a 14t front sprocket. I just recently switched back to stock because my Grom has gotten quicker the more I ride it. I still can't hit the rev limiter though in 4th, and probably never will without more modifications.
Thanks for the answer!
I passed over 2000 kilometers already.
So you can't pass 7rpm as well?
I thought that maybe the engine is blocked or something

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What bothers me is that it just can't get all the way up on the rev limiter.
I know I don't wanna be pushing it to red but my question is if you guys can't also rev over 7rpm on 4th gear? Even if I press it all the way and "hugging my tank" I can't

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sounds pretty typical unfortunately. Mine was really bad and turned out chain way too tight from factory. Fixed that and got a bit more top end.

·
Banned
714 Posts
i don't see why you would expect the bike to be able to redline 4th gear on the flat.

a brand new r1/s1000rr/zx10 etc won't pull limiter in 6th in stock form. why should the grom?

if you gear the thing so you can rev to the limiter on the flat, what are you going to do when you get a nice down hill?

i doubt that there is anything wrong with your bike, mine behaves the way you have explained and many others agree.

you aren't going to put an exhaust on it and suddenly add 10-15km/h to the top speed. it would take almost double the horsepower to do that.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's totally normal with stock setup,

im about to fit a pcv and wideband plus a type 2 kitaco cam, k factory exhaust and modified intake to try overcome the running out of power at 7k in 4th on the stock bike.

once it's in I'll report back if this is enough to keep pulling after 7k in 4th.

·
Registered
306 Posts
What bothers me is that it just can't get all the way up on the rev limiter.
I know I don't wanna be pushing it to red but my question is................
The red line starts at 8,200rpm
and the limiter is around 9,500rm.

If you want to hit the rev-limiter in any gear, you can't avoid "pushing it to red"

Try finding a highway with a big hill and a tailwind.
68mh / 110kph is achievable on your stock bike with no CAT in the right conditions, with a long enough run-up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts