Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been brought up already, and I just missed the memo, but how exactly will you be getting your Grom from place to place when not on the seat. I cannot help but feel like it is a bit of a light load for a trailer:

Could it benefit from a hitch mounted carrier from a place like Harbor Freight?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah only form of transportation for the Grom will be me at the controls of it!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
111 Posts
This could be a deal-breaker. If it's going to require a trailer, or another vehicle, plus take up garage space during the winter months it'll have most of the drawbacks of a fullsize bike. Gonna be close, keeping my fingers crossed...

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
This could be a deal-breaker. If it's going to require a trailer, or another vehicle, plus take up garage space during the winter months it'll have most of the drawbacks of a fullsize bike. Gonna be close, keeping my fingers crossed...
Well what else did you expect? Just throw it in the trunk like a bicycle? How else would you get a Grom or scooter or anything else around? What am I missing?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well what else did you expect? Just throw it in the trunk like a bicycle? How else would you get a Grom or scooter or anything else around? What am I missing?
Inadequate wording on my part, I shall clarify...

I've transported my other small bikes in enclosed vehicles for the last 15 years, mostly to take them along while vacationing. Once there, I usually ride 150 miles miles per day (+/-50); those daily mini-tours are a biggie, imo. They also go into climate-controlled storage, once drained of oil & gas, for the winter. It's a question of whether I'd need a larger vehicle and if the stairwell is too small. Trailers & bumper carriers don't work for me. Two collector cars already fill more of the garage than I'd like. That's a good part of what's kept me from going back to a fullsize bike. Don't get me wrong, at this late date and after ~25,000 miles on finely-crafted minis, I prefer them. The combination of versatility, road-worthiness and minimalism has lots of appeal and on multiple levels.

That said, once across the line into the size-related drawbacks of bigger bikes has been crossed, the equation changes radically. I may pull the trigger and proceed as planned anyway. However, I'd be giving-up a lot in the process.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Well that makes sense. Im afraid I may go down the same road. The Grom will be small for me. I may end up selling my larger bikes. I already have too many vehicles.

Sent from my DROIDX using HondaGrom.net mobile app

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hopefully, you'll never have to transport it. At only 225 lbs. if it died and I wasn't too far from home I would put it in N and push/coast home. It's just 32 lbs. heavier than a Ruckus. I would just ride it home form the dealer and break it in at the same time. If I had to transport it, it would be a one-time thing and I would rent a U-haul motorcycle trailer or hire one of the many landscape people around here who own trailers with ramps for their riding lawnmowers. It has to be one of the easiest bikes to load and unload.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Hopefully, you'll never have to transport it. At only 225 lbs. if it died and I wasn't too far from home I would put it in N and push/coast home. It's just 32 lbs. heavier than a Ruckus. I would just ride it home form the dealer and break it in at the same time. If I had to transport it, it would be a one-time thing and I would rent a U-haul motorcycle trailer or hire one of the many landscape people around here who own trailers with ramps for their riding lawnmowers. It has to be one of the easiest bikes to load and unload.
I agree with you here. I seriously doubt we will hear about very many of these breaking down. The ONLY problem I have heard of from the guys in the UK is a single bolt vibrated out of the exhaust heat shield.

The only time I think I will transport mine would be to the track or to meet up with folks a LONG ways away for a ride on their home turf.

·
Registered
205 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts