Honda Grom banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been on the forums for a while now, gleaning as much info as I can about the grom as I wait in anticipation and anxiously for my yellow 2016 to arrive!

A little bit of background and introduction from me;
I live in perth Australia, but I am a kiwi. Caught onto the grom from youtube and got excited about it for no reason. When I was first interested there were no groms in the country, then as they got more popular people started importing them and privately registering them so they were road legal over here. However it ended up being a huge cost to import, and modify to Australian standards and then register too. 6.5k for the bike!!!
So initially I decided I would bite the bullet and buy one but I would put money aside and pay for it after I had saved for it. This gave me time to think and I decided to buy a wr450f instead with a blown motor as fixerupper. Well, after about 6 months and a wr that still isn't working, word came to me that honda are officially releasing the grom in aus! So after a bit more thought I decided to get in on the early buy as they were only 4k.

Now, after waiting 3 weeks after they were supposed to arrive I called the dealer, asked what the go is. And basically he said honda weren't bringing in the yellow at the starter price anymore. So we ended up grabbing one of the red groms that had shown up. Pulled the fairings off the yellow demo, and put them on my brand new bike! Win win.
Recieved the little thing yesterday and have been up to mischief ever scince!

Anyway here is the obligatory pic

As time progresses I will update this thread on what I do. Many a tweak and modifying will follow but for now I will enjoy her and figure out what I want to change and how!

Thanks

Snowy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, yes always ride safe, except for that one time......

Yeah so first impressions of the bike were that it is sluggish, brakes suck, and the mirrors look at my hugely unimpressive biceps. But being a new bike, i gave her some time to bed in and settle, i have just under 200k's on her now. Brakes have settled in and the motor has adjusted to the fuel and is sharper now. Tyres have scrubbed in and feel good actually (i think mine came with different tyres that everyone always says are super average). Mirrors still suck, might pinch the bar end mirrors off my 250.
Also, some dont like the seat on the new bike, but the cut in gives you a good place to park you bum with decent support, compared to my 250 and 450 this thing is WAYYYYYY more comfortable! (IMO)

So first on the agenda is a small list of mods for better rideability:
- Quick throttle mod http://www.hondagrom.net/forums/7-grom-talk/14241-diy-quick-turn-throttle-0-50-a.html
- ND4S fork upgrade http://www.hondagrom.net/forums/49-...-fork-upgrade-mod-15-bucks-worlds-better.html EDIT apparently doesnt work on 2ng gen grom! Will have to investigate this.
- SS braided lines with blue Dot4 fluid and daytona red pads
- lower handle bars, with oil indicator clamp DILTS JAPAN : OP Top Indicator [M1001BK]
- ebay levers (i really dont like the oem bars with the testicle on the end), but oem is functional for now, may have to experiment with levers.

I actually have a big list of never ending parts on webike haha, gotta try not to spend too much! But as parts arrive i will take photos and document on this build page.

This bike is soo nible tho, im loving it!

Snowy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Mate!

I got my local Honda shop to put a 14T front sprocket in when they changed my tires, it made the bike a lot sharper, would definitely recommend it for a cheap but effective mod. Installation was free because they have a 'Buy tires from us and we'll fit them for free' thing, but it's a 15 minute job at max to do yourself at home, nothing hard about it!

As far as the fork upgrade, yes that quick fix doesn't work on the new model. But just put some thicker fork oil in and you'll notice a big improvement.

With the braided lines, if you want to save some cash just pull them off and head down to a automotive shop and have them make the lines up for you. A lot of the time you'll find someone who will just fit them in their spare time and the cost of the hose + fittings is considerably less than buying a pre-made kit, plus you'll only be waiting around for 20 minutes while they do it instead of waiting for shipping.

And also you'll love the feel of lower bars :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds good! I'm not sure whether the Brembo upgrades have different fitting sizes though so if you're planning on upgrading in the future you might want to try and find that out first

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My first mod! And it wasn't even on the list lol. Opportunity a me up to get frame sliders cheap so why not!

Put it all together and 20 mins later you have...

They look like a factory mod so I am happy with that. The mount off the engine mount not the head so that's good. Wait and see what happens next ;-)

Snowy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey supermotoboy, sorry I don't. I think my mate I bought them off gor them from webike.Japan you'll need to look.

Well another update, I have been to busy putting millage on her instead of mods lol. But alas! Something new!

I bought this kit of one of the grom bros over east aus. He 3d printed the brackets and supplied the LED'S even!

First, took the headlight assy apart to get to the juicy wires.

Used my meter and found out what was the DRL wire. (It was the white striped wire on both sides). And choppedal er up. All soldered together and tested.

After I tested to make sure all is well I taped the loom up again.

And here is the finished result!

Overall, super happy with how it all turned out. I like how the drl drops power to the side that indicates. Hated the amber drl, is gross I think. Some love it, who's to judge. So soon I will be getting lower bars, bar end mirrors and flush mount indicators!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts