Honda Grom banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everyone!!! Heres my build thanks to everyone here. So much good info to be found.

So far....
*Renthal rc high fatbars
*Mnnthbx bar mount
*Skar racing bar clamps
*1 fngr easy pull clutch/ brake levers
*Og grom clutch cable
*1 fngr grips
*Kitaco throttle tube
*Yoshi fender eliminator
*Led blinkers(switchbacks in front)
*Light smoke blinker lenses
*Noi watdan seat
*Carbon overlay mid fairings, headlight bezle, tank cover and tail piece
*kitaco clutch cover
*mnnthbx clutch plate
*kitaco 60% clutch springs
*dinger built mid length intake
*Drow sports fairing rod
*driven tt rearsets
*fire power lithium battery
*brocks alien head 2 exhaust
*black og calipers
*core moto brake lines
*galpher sintered pads
*ebc vee rotors
*racing bros shicane rear shock
*super sprocket 34t

Things to complete....
*Racing bros fork kit
*swap front caliper and rotor
*front brake line
*otb cam cover
*14t front sprocket

Things i still need....
*Better chain adjusters (probably ndc)
*mnnthbx bronze swingarm bushings
*cam (tb cam) might do big valves also
*cjr tune
*carbon cowl fairing
20210224_184005.jpg
20210224_123346.jpg
20210224_163904.jpg
20210223_232104.jpg
20210223_225108.jpg
20210224_163904.jpg
20210224_172620.jpg
20210224_172627.jpg
20210224_170907.jpg
20210224_170922.jpg
20210224_184005.jpg

*mirrors
*tires (probably wait till i get wheels)
*shave and recover stock seat

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,263 Posts
Really nice, love the carbon! You need a carbon stator cover to tie the motor in.:cool:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Clean AF! I love the subtlety to it.

Money being no object, I would replace as many fairings/trim pieces with carbon fiber.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!
I think im gonna do a carbon mud gaurd and a white tyga cowl. Decided im going with the dhm 186 kit.

Finished front caliper/rotor/line and pads.
Have the fork kit sitting here ready to install.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,263 Posts
Smooth sailing or did you run into any issues?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Smooth sailing lol! Took me 3hrs with a few breaks waiting for legs and stanchions to cool. Its 100% better ride but felt like i was feeling a bit of hydrolock. Racing bros call for 230ml but like a knucklehead never bottomed them out to check levels. I might drain them tomorrow and re-check. I had 15wt already so i grad some 5 or 7 yo put in.

Otherwise super happy.

Been looking at mnnthbx stretch with a small drop link to keep me at stock height.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,263 Posts
If you call them, Racing Brothers might be able to give you an oil height. It will probably be more accurate and you can leave the oil in the forks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, today i removed the oil and set the oil gap to 120mm which is roughly an inch about the valve 225. I swiched out the oil for maxima 7wt racing fluid (blue fluid) and while it feels good im getting some top out knock that i wasnt getting with 15wt. Needless to say im gonna swap out again for 15wt blue maxima and go back to 230ml. 3rd oil change should put it about perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just swapped oil for the third time lol!

Racing bros stated 230ml i put 230ml of maxima 15w i already had. Forks felt good but didnt give full range of travel.

2nd fill i measured what i drained and got back 215ml. I decided to try a lower weight 7wt for whatever reason and set the gap bottomed out to 120mm which was 225ml. Well now i didnt like the feel of the lower weight but worse i was getting top out.

Pulled them back apart yesterday to inspect and found the preload adjustment nut had a slight amout of play so i disassembled the top cap and while everything looked good the thread tolerences of the preload assembly and top had are not perfect. The movement is very lttle but if you push on the fork leg it compresses without resistance for the first 1/16".

With the 7wt oil this play could be felt in the bars when pulling up along with a slight knock. When i reassembled i went back to 15wt and set the level compressed to just at the damper rod opening and since i had the top cap off i could see the level of oil extended was one 1.5 from the line on the stanchion. Fork still has a tiny bit of play which you can feel and see with the forks off the bike but once on the bike cant be felt or heard.

Ok my thoughts.. 15wt is fantastic in the racing bros fork 7wt felt like i was maxing the setting to get my desired feel. Right now i have my rebound @23 clicks and compression @21, sag set at 3/4" and WOW!!!! Game changer..

Side note For anyone with racings bros kit the h2r fork oil they reccomend is 10wt @165 viscosity rating. Not sure if my top caps/preload assembly is a fluke (which i doubt) but lower than 10wt might produce some top out.

I live in so cal so im gonna run 10wt in winter and 15wt in summer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so i thought i was all good to go and was talking to a buddy of mine that also has the racing bros fork kit and he was positive something was wrong with my kit.

The only part i bought used for my bike was the fork kit ($80 shipped couldnt pass it up or so i thought). Well my buddy brought his bike over and had no problem with me pulling his forks to do some investigating. He has 8k on his forks and was stocked to get some fresh oil in them (oil was black). Anyways i dissasembled his top caps and had mine apart for comparison. What i found is that the top cap threads in mine were slightly stretched most likely from previous owner using the preload nut to torque the caps to damper rod without holding the rod( not sure exactly).

My buddy said when he had his forks installed they used ohlins oil which based on viscosity is 6wt or so comparing to maxima. He rode my bike with 15wt and thought it was a bit firm, he's 40lbs lighter than me. He decided to go with 10wt 165-150 which is what racing bros recommends. He felt it was perfect and i had to agree 10wt sucks up the shitty roads by my a little better but it was also 45 degrees out when we rode.

I ordered new top caps from steady and also got a chimera 320mm swingarm pivot in preperation for mnnthbx swingarm bushings.
Im going to go down to 10 wieght and hopefully be able to move forward on the build.

Lesson learned price to good to be true usually is to good to be true. Still saved a few bucks but time is more valuble to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok heres an update!!!
Suspension all buttoned up and feels solid!

Im moving on to the 250 swap and have been working on the cbr harness. Just have the cluster splice to finish and im starting to gather parts for build..

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts