Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i keep the exhaust pipe from hitting rocks as my daughter climbs over the Colorado mountain passes. Can i even turn this bike into a true dual purpose.

·
Registered
326 Posts
How do i keep the exhaust pipe from hitting rocks as my daughter climbs over the Colorado mountain passes. Can i even turn this bike into a true dual purpose.
Yes you can, just be careful, and do not hit the exhaust. The GROM does great on fire roads and trails. Just do not try to make a motorcross bike out of it. If you see something that is going to hit the exhaust don't go over it. If you want to ride in a crazy bad trail that is obviously not suited to the GROM, take another bike.

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes you can, just be careful, and do not hit the exhaust. The GROM does great on fire roads and trails. Just do not try to make a motorcross bike out of it. If you see something that is going to hit the exhaust don't go over it. If you want to ride in a crazy bad trail that is obviously not suited to the GROM, take another bike.

Mike
Well I agree. The grom is not a true dual purpose. And at 43 I'm not planning on riding one ( that's what my bmw x county 650 is for ) but i need a bike for my 13 year old daughter. She turns 14 just before school lets out. What I want to give her is a street legal bike that fits her under 200cc. I want it fuel injected and yes if i can't find and or build a skid plate then the grom's obvious design flaw makes it a no go.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Mike
The grom fits her like a glove. Guess I'm going to the machine shop at the votech and I'll just make a real skid plate. Then I'll get rid of the finders. Slap some knobby tires on it ( open to suggestions on tires ) I'll most likely remove the head light and make some brackets so i can mount the cheapest 70's model light i can get. The bike i wish i could buy her would be a modern version of the XL. series

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i heart ricers.

Thanks for the link however that's really just a useless trim piece. IT " May" help keep debris from scuffing your engine. But I'm wanting to protect the exhaust pipe from larger rocks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Mike
But which bike? Plus once we get back i can put it back pretty much stock and she can tear a$$ thew okc

Fyi
Engineer Pass Trail Report

·
Registered
938 Posts
honda made an adventure addition grom. It was one off but you might be able to find the skid plate off that. Just google adventure grom and you will find it under images. Its a bright yellow one.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
honda made an adventure addition grom. It was one off but you might be able to find the skid plate off that. Just google adventure grom and you will find it under images. Its a bright yellow one.
that was a concept right?

was prob a 1off plate

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ya it was a concept but he might get lucky finding it. Maybe just maybe it's a company made part. Only ones I seen are the ones with the exhaust Running through them. I almost wonder if a xr50 plate would not up.
I am guessing no as the xr50 motor is a hit smaller.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks that gives me an idea of how to make one. The Adventure version really just has a modified chassis that adds strength threw the use of metal tubes. And the exhaust is still the lowest part of the bike. However i now know how to attach my custom skid plate.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea i saw that commercial for the dual sport tires as well. And at 50 bucks they seem cheap to me. / still no luck on the skid plate. That one is to protect the finish on your engine. It's also help cooling as it keeps some of the dust and small particles away from the vents. I know they claim it's a skid plate but in fact just a trim piece. That plate will never SKID on anything unless you hit it so hard that it literally rips the entire exhaust off the bike.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
what good is that thing when you can rip the exhaust off, and probably break the stud holes in the head in the process? yeesh. and 200 bucks? screw those guys

1 - 20 of 21 Posts