Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am thinking of trading in my Ninja 300 in for a Honda Grom. The honda grom looks really neat, not to mention to vast aftermarket support it has in comparison to the 300 at the moment. The only concern was the highway riding but based on the videos I have seen, the grom will hold up on the highways (90-100kmph in Canada is the maximum on all 400 series here) so that doesn't look like an issue.

For those who currently own one, what do you suggest I do? Care to elaborate on the pros and cons of doing this?

Thank you in advance
Trip

·
Registered
204 Posts
the best advice somone is gonna give you is, if you wanna trade your bike in for a smaller more nimble bike, go for it, if you want, noone can make your mind up for you, but welcome to hondagrom!!!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I would say find someone close that you could actually test ride it.. the power drop is going to be very noticeable.. if you don't care about that and care more about the style.. then i would say a Grom would be the way to go.. the steady outflow of aftermarket parts for the Grom is unbelievable.. I am so glad I jumped on the chance to order one back in May.. I got mine little over 2 weeks ago... it is so much fun.. but I am coming from a Honda Ruckus.. so make sure before you do it.. better if you could keep both :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
What do you eventually want to do with your riding? The 300 is a great little bike that can teach you a lot if you want to get into track riding, then step up to a 600 and then liter bike. I know a few guys who prefer their 250's because of the corner speed. They may not be able to keep up on the straight, but in the corners, those little bikes are awesome

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Xconftw_florida and blueridge for the responses to my question. I have never really been a fan of the bigger displacement bikes at all since Toronto is severely congestion with traffic and stop lights at every block. I will be using the bike mainly for commuting to and from work and 5-15km run on the highways, as well as the odd quick run from time to time. I actually started on a CBR125cc then moved straight to a 99 srad, to a CBR F4i, to a Ninja250 and currently a Ninja300. So i kinda of have an idea of the power differences. The dealership near my house tells me that they will be getting 2 red ones in next week and that is all until next season so I am hoping to purchasing one of them asap but again I would still like to see it in person

·
Registered
204 Posts
this bike is a in town bike, it wasn't really designed for highway, that's where my big bike is fun, but I got rid of my liter bike because it was expensive to service, too much fun an tickets an cops these days are out for blood, so that being said, I bought a ruckus drove it for 8 months, it was a blast I could feel the little bit of power an I could just throw it around pick it up an have fun, the mods for these are gonna be all over an not very expensive, I have always been a Honda fan, I drove Kawasaki when I raced moto, but always had a Honda for a fun cruise bike. try to find someone near you that will let you ride it, see if you like it an go from there, I am still waiting for mine, it should be here in a few weeks, but I already know that its gonna be a blast an a new project for me to play with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just called the dealership and put down a deposit. From what the sales manager is telling me I have the first "sold" Grom in the region unless I decide not to get it after seeing it in person which is sometime next week.

So, if everything goes will the grom will be my sole bike, unfortunately I will not be able to keep two bikes insured. Thinking in advance for next season, taking the grom for my full motorcycle license shouldn't be a problem since the highway portion is simply on ramp, lane changes etc, off ramp from what I was told. Anyways I am excited!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just called the dealership and put down a deposit. From what the sales manager is telling me I have the first "sold" Grom in the region unless I decide not to get it after seeing it in person which is sometime next week.

So, if everything goes will the grom will be my sole bike, unfortunately I will not be able to keep two bikes insured. Thinking in advance for next season, taking the grom for my full motorcycle license shouldn't be a problem since the highway portion is simply on ramp, lane changes etc, off ramp from what I was told. Anyways I am excited!
you have a 300 an no motorcycle endorsement :very_drunk::very_drunk:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In Ontario the licensing is a little bit different. You actually go through a tier licensing system

M1 (learners permit)
M2 (experienced rider/no road restrictions etc)
M (full license)

I have my M2 approaching my 4th riding season. Within your 5th riding season you have to complete your M licensing or you have to start back at 1.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BlueRidge I have a question to ask, I understand the Grom wasn't really designed for the highway but it is able to maintain cruising speeds of 50/55 comfortably right? I know overtaking maybe an issue at times but it keeps up with the flow of the traffic for the most part?

·
Registered
204 Posts
BlueRidge I have a question to ask, I understand the Grom wasn't really designed for the highway but it is able to maintain cruising speeds of 50/55 comfortably right? I know overtaking maybe an issue at times but it keeps up with the flow of the traffic for the most part?
people have said they maintain 60+ but 50-55 sitting up no problem unless wind an hill. **60+tucking down an ignoring the wind drag***

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Hi

I am thinking of trading in my Ninja 300 in for a Honda Grom. The honda grom looks really neat, not to mention to vast aftermarket support it has in comparison to the 300 at the moment. The only concern was the highway riding but based on the videos I have seen, the grom will hold up on the highways (90-100kmph in Canada is the maximum on all 400 series here) so that doesn't look like an issue.

For those who currently own one, what do you suggest I do? Care to elaborate on the pros and cons of doing this?

Thank you in advance
Trip
i googled it you need it to go 55-62mph. and a stock grom depending on rider weight can easily get to 55-60!

sell it and assimulate!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The licensing system in Canada does not restrict the rider's bike displacement (i think that is only in the UK/EUR/AUS?) You can get your learners permit and ride a 600cc right off the bat.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The licensing system in Canada does not restrict the rider's bike displacement (i think that is only in the UK/EUR/AUS?) You can get your learners permit and ride a 600cc right off the bat.
that's sweet dude, Canada is always got something I wish America did lol. but the 12 dollar packs of smokes would make Americans cringe loool

·
Registered
659 Posts
I owned 2 Ninja 300s and traded them for other things. Both had a slight stall issue before Kawa addressed that, but it was not a problem. The bike is fantastic and does everything. You mentioned the main issue which is speed. While the Ninja 300 will cruise at 85 mph all day, the Grom struggles to maintain 60 mph. Mileage is considerably better with the Grom of course...perhaps 40 mpg better. There is one more issue, which is why I gave up the 300. Those dang valves due to be checked at 7800 miles on the 300. Like the Ninja 250r before it, getting to the valves is a real hassle and involves some mechanical skills and time or pretty large expense if you pay a dealer to check them. This is due to all the labor just getting to the valves. The Grom is easy to work on with the valves staring you in the face. The Grom is not my only motorcycle. If I could only have 1 motorcycle and had to choose between the Grom and the Ninja 300, it would be the 300 for sure.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts